1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nokia Hakaapoliitta VS Toyo snow tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by earthman, Aug 26, 2008.

1. earthman

earthman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I know this is a long shot, thought I'd throw this out there anyway. Anyone have real life experience with these tires? Care to compare them?
    I have a friend telling me the Toyo's are way better than the Hak's. I've always had such good luck with the Hakaapoliitta.........even if I can't spell it.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe Nokia make telephones so you put any Toyo tyre up against a Nokia phone and my money is on the tyre.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Um, I don't think I would compare a Nokia cellphone to a Nokian tyre. Though in general the Finlanders make great products

I have used studded Nokian winter tires on other vehicles, and am currently running Toyo Open Country G-02 Plus as a winter tire on my FJ Cruiser. The Open Country has the same tread compound as the Observe passenger car winter tire

Unless studded winter tires are banned in your jurisdiction, I strongly recommend you run studded snow tires in winter. Although tires like Toyo can come "close" to providing ice traction, especially over an "all season" tire, the studded tire still provides better ice traction

For my Prius, I run Goodyear Nordic studded winter tires from Canadian Tire. This is the same as the Goodyear Ultra Grip 500 sold in the EU

Goodyear Eur-Winter Tire-UltraGrip 500

If you click on "Profile" a flash movie loads that explains the tire construction. This is a very aggressive winter tire, with soft tread, and with the studs the traction on ice can't be beat.

Up here, once it gets colder than -25 C, especially -35 C, deicing salt no longer works. Icy intersections stay icy, unless sand is dropped. If it's windy, the sand blows away, and polished ice remains

Comparing my FJ to my Prius, both have equal traction in snow. That is, both tires appear to work equally as well, and obviously the FJ has a ground clearance advantage.

On glare ice, my Prius with the studded tires has a very clear traction advantage over my FJ running the studless Toyo tires. Especially braking, the studded tires on my Prius are superior over the Toyo Open Country on my FJ, which are far superior over my "all season" tires

For my FJ, I'm considering the factory studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta Sport Utility 5. Also considering the studdable Hankook Dynapro iPike. Both are directional tires

If you prefer a studless winter tire, I would have to say the Toyo tread compound is better than the Bridgestone Blizzak