1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nokian i3 tires. First impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by F8L, Aug 16, 2008.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I decided to have the Nokian i3s installed yesterday in preparation for a hiking trip in the eastern Sierra because my Integritys were fairly worn down and I just figured the new tires would be safer for my passangers. :)

I left the tire shop at the approx. dealer recommended pressure (37/35psi) and I swear it felt like someone swapped my tires for marshmellows! The ride was very smooth yet there was a ton of body roll and the car didn't want to glide much at all.

I drove a mile to my work and immediately aired the tires to max sidewall pressure (47psi). Driving the 76miles home from work I noticed the body roll was reduced but still there. Gliding is harder for me to describe because the car feels like it is more resistant to gliding yet it ends up gliding further than I anticipate. I think if I used higher pressures in these tires they would match the gliding ability of my well worn Integritys despite being brand new.

Milage: I reset the MDF, then I drove the 76mile commute with the A/C set at 78deg and a top speed of 65mph (for about 2miles) and a cruising speed of 55mph the majority of the trip. Since I took backroads I was able to glide to stop signs but I did not use any pulse & glide techniques. I generally had people behind me so I could not keep RPM under 2,200 during take offs either. :( I still maganged to end the trip at 57mpg and 76 miles. In this heat (94-98deg) that is pretty average (or a bit high) for the way I drove home. In cooler temps I can get a bit higher but to reach 60+mpg I usually have to throw in a few miles worth of P&G.

In summary:

• The tires roll well despite the feel
    • Body roll is very pronounced at low tire pressures (35-37psi). Body roll and handling improve as pressure went up. I think at 66/64psi the tires would easily out handle the Integritys but I'm not ready to push these tires that high yet.
    • Road noise is low except for a weird low pitched hum (hopefully that goes away)
    • I managed a 57mpg 76mile commute without using P&G and despite the tire being larger (new) than the old tires which may make the odometer read lower thus dropping calculated mpg.
    My basis for comparisons:

185/65/17 Integritys (66/64psi) on stock wheels
    215/45/17 Kumho Ecstas (66/64psi) on 17" Centerline wheels
    185/65/15 Nokian i3s (47/45psi) on stock wheels

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    These tires are asymmetrical, so make sure that the 'inside' is not mounted to the 'outside'. Tire installers occassionally make mistakes.

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I made sure the tire guy was aware of that before he mounted. I almost forgot to mention it then freaked out and went back inside. lol Thanks for the reminder though. :)

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Shave those tire hairs. That worked for me, I think.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, which razor should I use, the facial one or the.... lol

I'll see if I have any left on there. I noticed the hum was not nearly as noticable as Friday now that I have 300miles or so on the tires.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just pull each one out and cut with a scissor.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My mechanic lowered my tp to the low 30's (1 tire was under 30) on the last oil change. On my way to work it felt like I was driving through glue. The battery didn't charge up as much and the car just wouldn't glide. My mpg managed to break even but it should have increased. I spent 15 minutes inflating the tires to 45/45 before I went home. If you were running the Integrities in the 60's maybe you should pump up the new ones.