1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NON ELECTRICIAN WITH A NEW PRIUS PRIME LE

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by dpframing, Aug 19, 2022.

1. dpframing

dpframing "Nobody tells me what to do, not even me."

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I just got a 2022 Prius Prime LE. I'm using the cord that came with the car and plugging into a 115v GFI outlet. 5 hrs. for a full charge.
    I bought this house 3 years ago, and the previous owner had a 2-car lift in one of the bays of the garage. I sold the lift
    to a friend of mine, and there is a 220/240V? plug hanging from the ceiling. Since I wasn't using it, I just shut off the 2 breakers at the box that supplied power to it. A few months ago, I bought a 220v Jet table saw which I have yet to set up. I don't think it has a power cord. My question: I want to draw power from the ceiling plug for the table saw AND to charge the Prius at 220v. And I'm gonna need a 50 ft. cord to get to the Prius charge port. I know I'm never gonna use the table saw and charge the car at the same time, but I need to know what to look out for with this potential setup. I can't do a search because all threads are giving great advise, but I don't understand 90% of them.

2. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Since you already have the plug all you really need to figure out is what type of receptacle it is using. 240v plugs aren't quite as standardized as your usual 120v house plugs. It should say what it is on the plug itself something like "NEMA L14-30 120/240" or whatnot. Or take a pic of it and then look at a chart like this:

Screenshot 2022-08-19 221917.jpg

Once you know what plug you need you can find a 240v EVSE for your Prime that uses the same type or at least has an adapter. You can plug the EVSE directly into the pug in the ceiling. It'll probably reach your car. For you saw you may consider an extension. Yeah the car manual says don't use an extension cord but these types of receptacles are often used for connecting backup generators to home electric transfer switches and they push way more amps than the 16A that the Prime would ask. You could get a 10ft generator cord to run from your ceiling outlet down to ground level to switch between your EVSE and your saw.

For example: Say it's a NEMA 14-30 dryer plug. You'll want one of these extension cords and a level 2 EVSE that would use the same 14-30 plug

(I just did quick searches. Do your own research on a quality extension and EVSE but you'll start with knowing what kind of receptacle you have in your garage and go from there) And if you get it wrong don't worry there are lots of different adapters and splitters to go between the different plug types. Some people have even slapped a 240v plug end on the stock EVSE that came with their Prime and gotten 240v charge times (Slightly less than an actual level 2 EVSE)

3. dpframing

dpframing "Nobody tells me what to do, not even me."

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for the info. I talked to my electrician and he said he'll install another 240v line directly from the breaker box
    which would be a dedicated line just for the Prime. He said it's better than sharing the current plug with the saw.

bisco and jerrymildred like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would have been my recommendation as well. Safer and more convenient.