1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

non-ethanol fuel

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by thetourman, May 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. thetourman

thetourman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just want to verify something I believe I can do.
    The generator I just purchased for power outages after hurricanes uses non ethanol fuel.
    Can any unused non ethanol fuel be used in our 2010 Prius and 2017 Prius V?
    Thanks

rampante550 likes this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. Its is better than ethanol fuel. But too expensive to use routinely.

rampante550 and thetourman like this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It probably specifys that because E0 fuel stores better/longer than the ethanol blends.
    But it really is not good to store a generator with fuel IN IT regardless.

So yes, you can have a couple of cans with E0 in it for gen use and "rotate" them through your car every 6 months or so.

The best emergency generators use natural gas or propane for fuel so you don't have to worry about stale fuel.

thetourman likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In Washington State we have a handful of gas stations that sell non-ethanol fuel at the pump and surprisingly it doesn't costs much more, less than a dollar a gallon than regular unleaded. It has 2% more BTU than 10% ethanol gas and doesn't absorb water or create laminates inside the engine like the corn lobby's garbage ethanol fuel does. As for how old you can let fuel get before it's not safe to use in a Prius, Toyota Plugin Prius supposedly says in the owner's manual that you can go a year or longer with gas in the tank so... Whenever I see a plugin Prius at a gas station I ask the person when was the last time they filled the tank. Most of them say 6-12months.

#4 PriusCamper, May 17, 2021
    Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Jim Swart and thetourman like this.
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just cracked open an original surplus jerry can that has a 1962 production date, which my dad acquired from a surplus store in San Diego,California in the early 1980's.

We filled the can on May 2, 2011 with non-ethanol gas and Stabil.

It had been stored in a shed 50 feet from our house.

The gas remained clear with all of it's VOC's for over 10 years. I will eventually use it in my Prius v.

Instead on filling, emptying and refilling many many times over the years, I prefer the fill and forget method.

Metal surplus cans could be had for less than $15 each at that time in surplus stores. Even new ones were about $30 each, before the stupid C.A.R.B. spout requirement.

thetourman likes this.
  6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    These Midwest gas cans available at Harbor Freight is the best deal on the current variation of the original German jerry can.

5 Gallon Jerry Gas Can

I first bought them in 2008 and have more than 10 of them.

They are made by Valpro in Europe. They are of the same high quality as the original German cans.
    VALPRO - Products - Metal cans - Progressive Line

It's too bad that we are stuck with the plastic caps and C.A.R.B. spouts as the metal caps are not available in the US.

Here's why you don't want to buy the cheap Made in China ones.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What do we know about Canadian rules and products, for those of us who hope to be able to cross the border later this year?

8. rampante550

rampante550 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm doing a test with non-ethanol in my 205k 2012 Prius V (been in the teens overnight, highs mainly in the 30s and 40s).

Baseline using 87 regular
    - 41.9 mpg
    - 42.1 mpg

Two tanks since filling with 90 non-ethanol (lowest octane I can find)
    - 45.1 mpg
    - 45.5 mpg

Not a massive uptick, but extra cost (about $.60 more per gallon) is offset enough that I'll continue to use it. I have an 06 Sequoia as well, I get an extra 30 miles per tank with it and feel like it helps keep the engines running a little cleaner on these engines as they age.

Will follow-up when it gets a little warmer, hoping I get another 1-2 mpg more in both scenarios when we hit spring weather.

PriusCamper likes this.