1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-Ethanol-- Primo Gas, better MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cyberpriusII, Jul 26, 2012.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to buy some saw gas (gas for a chainsaw), and since chainsaws get terrible indigestion on the new "corn squeezings" gasoline, a few stations locally sell non-ethanol premium (92 octane).

The price is significantly higher. Just paid $4.25 a gallon for it, versus $3.59 for premium corn liquid.

Since I was down to two blips on the gauge, had them fill the Prius with the non-ethanol stuff, also.

Was getting 44.4 or 44.5 MPG. After the fill-up, was getting 45.1 or 45.2 MPG. Not a significant jump, and not worth the price difference, but interesting.

Wonder if ethanol-laced premium, which is cheaper, gives any better MPG? Of course, one somewhat tank of fuel is no real proof of anything....

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    E-10 is known to have 3.3% less energy per gallon. That is what you are seeing. The price you are paying is really not worth it. Premium should not give you much, if any, increase in mileage. Generally. premium is only recommended if you are experiencing engine knock.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And it would be amazing if the MPG difference was really due only to the "E0". Most likely it was because the car had warmed up, or there had been a change in the weather.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some cars, especially older cars from pre-ethanol era will get way better mpg on pure-gas... Also ethanol absorbs water so if you live in a really wet area like where I live there's less moisture getting into your engine. Of course if you have a rubber bladder for a gas tank like Gen2 owners there is very little opportunity for water to get in the tank in the first place.

Some say ethanol is bad for some of the seals in the engine, but again, that's usually with older cars... The prius was designed to run on low-grade E-10... But where I live pure-gas is only 25 cents more a gallon so I prefer it!

Here's the link to how to find ethanol free gas in your region: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    E-anything will get fewer mpgs due to it having less energy per unit measure. The more E, the less mpgs. Proven fact.

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The only exception is if the increased octane of E-whatever allows the car to advance timing and/or lean out the mixture to the point where the increase in engine efficiency is greater than the drop in energy per gallon.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Regular unleaded gasoline, not labeled, no ethanol, will have less ethanol than mid-grade or premium, since ethanol is used to increase the octane number. Octane means that the molecule has 8 carbons in the chain. Septane and sextane molecules detonate at a lower temperature and causes "dieseling."

8. bugly64

bugly64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anyone know if the pump has to have a sign on it stating the fuel contains corn?

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The laws are different in every state... Some states like California you can't buy gas at the pump without ethanol... The best way for me to avoid Ethanol gas is to use the website pure-gas: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely does not say "corn" but should say "10% Ethanol" I believe.

11. bugly64

bugly64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know if the pumps in California have to tell if ethanol is present.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a link...implication is not all states require ethanol labeling, incl. CA

Ethanol Labeling Laws - State by State Guide.

13. bugly64

bugly64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What a crock. I should be happy that I am getting 49 mpg.