1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-Integrated Dashcam Options?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Poseidon, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Poseidon

Poseidon New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Just wanted to start a thread to see if any gen 5 owners have opted for third party dashcams, and how the installation/wiring process went. I'm currently in the market for one myself, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of resources or videos on this new model year, so hopefully some info can be gathered here. Cheers!

2. JNemin

JNemin New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Order the PT949-48210 harness to make wiring from the mirror surround easier, rather than risking wiring down to the fuse box through the air-bag-critical A-pillar. I believe this harness provides 5V power from a 12V source so if your dashcam needs 12V, you may need to cut out the voltage regulators - if you are handy with a volt meter and wiring techniques.

PhoS likes this.
  3. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I did the 3rd party route. Got this adapter so I can tap into the power at rear view mirror (this was easy, the plastic cover was just a slide down and fairly easy) and installed this camera

Cam - VIOFO 4K HDR Dash Cam, STARVIS 2 IMX678 Sensor, Front Camera A139 PRO 1CH, Superb Night Vision, Ultra HD 4K Dashcam for Car, 5GHz WiFi GPS, 24H Parking Mode, CPL Filter, Voice Notification

Tap - Dongar Dashcam Power Adapter (10-pin Type B. Compatible with Select Toyota, Lexus, Subaru Models), Connects to Rearview Mirror, Built-in USB Power Source, Easy to Insta

4. Ronnie5

Ronnie5 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I assume the power adapter taps into a switched power source. So, it's only on when the car is on?

5. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Rearview mirror power sources are typically always-on. Because that's where Toyota often puts the Homelink buttons, and those need to operate independently of switched power.

thnok likes this.