1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non JBL radio, JBL radio or new head unit?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by galileofigaro, Nov 9, 2020.

1. galileofigaro

galileofigaro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    III
    My 2015 came with a non JBL radio which in my opinion provides poor sound quality.
    Is the JBL radio significantly better? If somebody made this upgrade can I get their input on the topic?
    Or should I get a new head unit? Such as Pioneer MVH1400NEX 6.2 inches (good reviews on Amazon)
    I'd choose this option as the last resort since the procedure is more complicated, have to buy a control wheel adapter, harness, etc.

2. willyag

willyag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have the full JBL system on my 2012. While it's sound is clear I never thought it was exceptional. Kind of so so or ho hum. But it is built into the system and I would have no idea how to change it. Like a kidney transplant. My totally uninformed advise would be to leave the old system alone except to rewire or replace the speakers to your new and probably superior head unit.

3. galileofigaro

galileofigaro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    III
    Sound quality improved when I replaced the dashboard speakers but still not satisfactory. Next step to replace whole head unit or door speakers.

4. Yea Right

Yea Right Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anyone ever thought to just use your phone sync’d to a good quality blue tooth speaker. Just mount/secure the speaker or build a small holder to place it in while in use.