1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non JBL to JBL head unit upgrade (see pic)

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by galileofigaro, Nov 16, 2020.

1. galileofigaro

galileofigaro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    III
    JBL prius.jpg Photo attached shows the difference between my non JBL radio (original) and a JBL head unit (upgrade) from back angle. As you can see all connections are the same with the exception of speakers maybe? I don't really know what they do. Anyway, is there an adapter I can use in order to connect the JBL head unit to my PiP?
    Thanks!

Mike D. likes this.
  2. galileofigaro

galileofigaro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    III
    I got these replies from Tacoma world forum:
    JBL won’t work in a non JBL. Non JBL has a built in amp JBL doesn’t that why they have one behind the rear seat and different wiring

Yup. The JBL head unit has no internal amplifier so it's not capable of sending sound to your speakers. You would also need to install a corresponding JBL amplifier - which is a much bigger job than swapping the head units. It's been done before here but it's not something I'd consider worthwhile.

The JBL equipped vehicles do not have better sound because of the head unit. The reason the JBL sound systems are better is because the speakers are better, they have a subwoofer and a dedicated amplifier which produces more power than the non-JBL internal amplifier. The head unit itself is not an upgrade.

Having the non-JBL stereo is actually a little bit of an advantage if you want to upgrade with aftermarket stereo equipment. You can pretty easily keep your stock stereo and add new door speakers, a small amp to power them and a small powered subwoofer. This would be relatively affordable and would make for a great stereo. Trying to do that with the JBL equipped vehicles is a bit more of a challenge and requires some add-on items to get it to work.

Mike D. likes this.