1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non LRR Tire Switch, No Mileage Loss

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by 09Prius2, Nov 8, 2016.

1. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In fact mileage may have gone up slightly. Switched from Bridgestone Ecopia's to Sumitomo regular tires, and I can now take turns faster due to the increase in traction, so there is less braking. The LRR tires would squeal while making a 3 mph u turn. Having the traction of regular tires has totally outweighed the additional cost and risk of having the inferior traction of LRR tires.

Getting the same rated 45 mpg that I was before. Even if mileage had dropped, there would have to be a significant difference to offset the LRR tires costing twice as much as good budget tires.

2. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's an interesting fact, thanks for sharing.

However, I don't think all LRR tyres have inferior traction. I've got 4 x Michelin Energy Saver Tyres on my 2008 Prius T Spirit - UK version of the Touring, and I'd best describe their performance as exceptional. I find the traction more than adequate for day to day city driving.

I find their grip to be more than adequate in the wet, and very dependable in the dry. Obviously, I don't drive my Prius II 'like I stole it', so we're not talking performance driving here, but everyday hustle bustle on the roads, with the odd power take off (Warp Mode? ), occasional heavy braking to avoid the dullard who just cut you up, and of course going round corners kinda "hot" while trying to preserve momentum.

Unlike a pair of Rockstone LRRs I once had on the rear, the Michelin Energy Savers neither bounce on the road like a pair balloons, nor slide or skip around corners as if traction is taboo.

On a roundabout where the Rockstones once almost completely lost it as I was threading my way through to an exit spiritedly. Trying the same manoeuvre with the Michelins gave me the same effortless grip I'd come to appreciate from the Toyo T1's on my previous car, a Mazda MX-3 Coupe.

An added bonus is high MPG figures I get from hypermiling at a decidedly faster speed.

Are the Sumitomo's made in Japan? They're kinda 'notorious' for sometimes creating really excellent vehicle components or parts in an understated sort of way - I suspect because they have very high standards.

iPhone ?

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The term Low Rolling Resistance is at best a guideline, but sometimes little more than a marketing "bullet point". And for sure there are "sleepers" out there, tires that roll easy, but the manufacturer hasn't bothered to mention.

srellim234 likes this.
  4. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree, I looked at the michelins and they cost twice as much as the sumitomos, and the sumitomos had better ratings on tirerack.com. The LRR tires would have to gain at least 2-3 mpg in order to be worth the extra money.

I think they are japanese tires but they might be manufactured in korea or china. That part I'm not sure. I do know that they had among the best ratings for a low price, and even the snow and ice ratings were high. The LRR tires were sketchy on anything but dry roads. And I wasn't going to buy LRR snow tires in florida, I just don't want a car that can't be driven in all conditions.

Coast Cruiser and Data Daedalus like this.
  5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Both my Prius have non LRR replacement tires.

I never liked the LRR tires on the 2005 Prius and thought they were borderline dangerous. They made me very uncomfortable driving in the rain. I recommended they be replaced with cheap non LRR tires. The car feels a lot more stable, softer, comfortable, and quieter. I also have a lot more confidence in the rain.

The EP20 that came on my 2012 Prius was a vast improvement over the 2005. (I admit, it could also be the difference between Gen 2 to Gen 3) I was going to replace with EP422+ but they ran out of stock. So I replaced with cheap non LRR's as well. My last road trip to San Diego was the most comfortable I've had in the 2012 Prius. I go down 2-3 times a year as DW's family lives there. I didn't even remember I had changed the tires. I just noticed my butt was less sore after the 9 hour drive.

Mpg on the 2012 took a slight dip. Can't really say how much as electricity ruins the calculations. I'm averaging 47 on the 2005 and my brother owned the car before so I don't know what mpg I would've gotten on the LRR tires.

I'm still eying the EP422+ for my next replacements as the 7 year improvement in LRR technology between the 2005 and 2012 tells me that today's LRR can be even better.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  6. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. After nearly sliding through a couple of intersections during the rain on LRR tires with good tread, I decided they had to go. I also drive fast on the highway, and in a tinny lightweight car like the prius, I had visions of the entire car coming apart in an accident because the tires weren't there when I needed them. 1 mpg gain is not worth your life.

On my last tank of short trip city driving I got 50 on the guage, my best so far for short cycles. The actual calculation came out to 49. 2 mpg better than the epa rating and much more secure. I also haven't overinflated the tires yet since the shop won't do it for me when I have work done.

Coast Cruiser and mmmodem like this.
  7. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In most cases, a LRR tire inflated to near the sidewall max cold, will roll more easily than an ULRR tire at the vehicle OEM suggested pressure.

One should also consider the real potential that the new tires travel more revolutions per mile, throwing off the miles on the high side, while consuming the same amount of fuel.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just got four energy savers, $110. plus $30. for installation each. very happy, but i didn't buy them to save money.

Data Daedalus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just updating the mileage results. While the city mileage appears consistently better, the highway mileage has been consistently worse, by about 2 mpg. The mileage loss on the freeway has not been as much as the gain in the city, however the spread is significantly wider than before. So it seems that aerodynamics do have a significant impact on the overall results. Higher speeds on non LRR tires do suffer a noticeable loss of mpg.

mmmodem, bisco and Data Daedalus like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I purchased Michelin Defenders in 195/65R15, for our son's 06 Civic Hybrid just the other day. They will be mounted on loose rims (putting snows on today), and back on the car in early spring.

Interesting tire, very long tread life rating, and designated GreenX; not sure if that was always the case. I'll try to remember to post some comment once they've been on for a while.

Data Daedalus likes this.