1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-refundable deposit - can I break it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Larry_R, Jun 9, 2007.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wryter @ Jun 9 2007, 04:16 PM) [snapback]458798[/snapback]</div>
    If they require a non-refundable deposit they're already not trustworthy...

I'm afraid to ask, but how much was the deposit?

Its very typical for dealers to require a small (typically $300-$500) completely refundable deposit to hold a car for you out of their inventory or to trade with another dealer to get the exact car you want through their allocation. I paid a refundable $500 deposit to hold the Prius out of the dealer's allocation, to transfer the Lexus from a dealer in NC, and to allocate the Explorer I had before the Lexus. This is totally understandable, if they're going to go to the effort of allocating a car, trading away one of their cars, or holding a car from other buyers for you they want some assurance that you're not just playing around. Its simply good faith money, and like someone else said most times they won't even charge your credit card.

A NON-refundable deposit is not appropriate or customary however, unless the car is a factory order with some weird color combo or equipment combo not normally found on the car. For instance when I was considering trading my ES300 in on a new ES350 I wanted to order a Ultra Luxury model with the PCS and the radar cruise control, a combination not sold on the east coast. They would have asked for a non-refundable $500 deposit since they would have had to build and ship the car just for me, and the car may be more difficult for the dealership to re-sell if I backed out since its not advertised or available here. THAT makes sense. Asking for a non refundable deposit to allocate a car from another dealer just in a specific package or color does not.

2. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Because I ordered a Prius with package #2 - NO Toyoguard - and leather upholstery - the salesguy said they needed $500 up front. Having worked with this dealer before (I did not buy from him then) I knew about their policies. However, what the salesman said and what he wrote were two different animals - he said I could get the money back if he couldn't get the car in a reasonable time. the paperwork says non-refundable, however. It is just a "car locater" form, not a final purchase contract. I signed it - he did not.
    I haven't been able to contact him in ten days now - he won't answer phones or e-mail. So Monday I must go into the dealership and "confront" him to see what's going on. Sigh.

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What is Toyoguard?

The leather upholstery shouldn't matter, they'll just add it aftermarket.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jun 10 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]459362[/snapback]</div>
    In 2005 I wanted to get a #5 package, which wasn't available in Southern California. I contacted a dealer in Nevada who said they could. The day I sent the check for $500, they called and said they couldn't. Although they cashed the check when it arrived, they sent a check right back.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is the first I've ever heard of a non-refundable deposit for a Prius. Warning to car buyers: NEVER give a non-refundable deposit unless the contract specifies a delivery date and a VIN number for the car, and a clause that you get your money back with interest if the car specified is not delivered.

I paid a $1,000 non-refundable deposit on my Xebra because the dealer was going to perform $7,000 worth of upgrades on a $10,000-base-price car. But the deposit only became non-refundable when actual work on the upgrades began, and was refundable, if I refused delivery, once the car were sold to another buyer.

In other words, the non-refundability was based on significant custom work by the dealer, and only took effect after that work began.

Giving a non-refundable deposit without a formal commitment date and VIN number is buying a pig in a poke.

On the other hand, I don't think ten days is such a long time to wait for a Prius. Did they tell you, either verbally, or in writing, how long you'd have to wait? A verbal promise may be hard to prove, but it is legally binding. If they told you they'd have your car in a week, and it's been ten days, they have violated the contract and you can demand your money back.

The Prius is worth waiting for though. It's the second-best car on the road today, after the Xebra. :)

6. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Finally got an e-mail from my "missing" sales-guy. Seems that he doesn't know - forgot? - if a car has even been ordered for me! Sigh. I was polite, but firm on the phone - and I told him I wanted to know NOW what the status of the car (?) is. . . but heck, after a dozen dayz, a guy fergets what he's done - right?
    anybody want to lay bets on whether he calls me back???

Fingers that are crossed are often accidentally broken - so be careful, says the wife. Hmm. . . .

7. PriusBoyAZ

PriusBoyAZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wryter @ Jun 11 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]459649[/snapback]</div>
    My dealer found the exact car I wanted inside of 3 days, I don't understand why you've waited 12 days to get a car that has been quite plentiful lately. Get your money back and go to another dealer.

8. TADFAR

TADFAR Junior Member

First post but i thought i would "PIPE" in. I am a car salesman, recently joining a Toyota Dealer.
    1. "Toyoguard". = Fabric protector and other stuff. Overpriced, Yes. Pain in The ___. Yes. Toyota seems to ship them any way they want, in order to up the profits most oftheir cars come with Toyoguard from the factory. If you want one without you will probably have to order it and it will take a while.
    Check out what they are charging and what the warranty is for toyoguard, decide if it is worth it.

2. Leather, usually ordered on higer packages, rare with package 2. So may be a pain to get with package 2.

3. Talk to Sales Manager and have hime do a dealer search. See if you vehicle is available. Go to www.toyota.com and build your vehicle seems there are 700+ in the southeast market, see if your particular one is available.

4. Regardless your salesman should have been more informative. He is either new, or on the way out to give such bad service. Ask the manager for a new salesman. Or go to the fleet, internet department.

5. Non-refundable deposits are only used a a closing technique, only really necessary when ordering something weird that might be hard for a dealer. Once had a person order a Pink Leather interior on a wrangler. Definitely a non-refundable deposit.

9. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TADFAR @ Jun 11 2007, 03:48 PM) [snapback]459681[/snapback]</div>
    They'll just farm the leather out to an aftermarket source. Leather does not come on the package 2.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TADFAR @ Jun 11 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]459681[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site.

1. Toyoguard is added at the port of entry. Some ports are more aggressive about adding the junk. SET seems to be the worst.
    2. Factory leather is only available in the highest option package.
    6. Read the brochure. If I got answers like that I'd conclude the dealer is not honest and move on. In fact I struck a dealer from my shopping list due to unwanted add-ons. If I have to haggle DOWN to MSRP forget it.

You have much to learn, young Jedi and good luck with the job.

11. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Story that ended (rather) well.

After confrontation in the dealer's showroom, I got my money back from Germain Toyota, exited the showroom and went to Ft. Myers Toyota (35 miles north) where I ordered up my Silver Pine Mica Prius with package #2 and leather upholstery.

Got a call this ayem that the car is here - will pick it up Wednesday morning. Had to pay $500 more than the first dealer - but well worth it! Will post my excitement on PC as my wife and I roll merrily along.

thanks for all the info I get here on this Forum. MUCH appreciated!