1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non SKS Key Fob messing up. Still drives car but doesn't electronically unlock/lock doors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ottwin, Jul 17, 2017.

1. ottwin

ottwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Non SKS key fob (black Toyota emblem) for my 2006 Prius that still works when inserted in my car to drive it but randomly stopped electronically unlocking/locking my door. There's a red light that keeps flashing on the key fob sometimes but not all the time. I noticed that sometimes I also noticed my car keeps making the locking sound multiple times without me pressing any buttons. I bought the car used and so the fob isn't in the best of shape. My panic button still works though so im not sure what could be the problem. I was wondering if there was any way to get it to unlock/lock my car again. Could it be something as simple as a new battery or will I have to completely get a new key fob?

2. ottwin

ottwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The key fob battery is nearly dead. When the battery is good the red LED will be solid. Change the battery and it will work good as new. The fob does not need battery power to start the car when the fob is inserted in the slot, it gets power by induction.

Do you have a second fob? If not, you might want to buy a new one online from a dealer for about $110 and pair it to your car via the "Chicken Dance" while your current fob still works. If you have to get a complete new key from the dealer (if you loose the current one or it breaks), it will cost in the region of $400 - $600 to replace.

If symptoms still persist after changing the key fob battery, check your 12 V battery. One of the symptoms of a weak 12 V battery is sluggish door locks.

fotomoto, ottwin and valde3 like this.
  4. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your fob works after replacing the battery, you can get a new case for it for about $13.00. It's easy to move the circuit board to the new case and it will look like new when you are done. I bought mine on Amazon, but they are available from a number of sources on the internet.

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Be sure to move the transponder chip as well as the circuit board to a new case.

valde3 and dolj like this.