1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-SKS multiple keyfob failure?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Oggi, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Oggi

Oggi New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all, hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.... the wife just returned from a shopping trip and declared that the "doors won't lock". Sure enough I tested the keyfob and the car will not respond to it. I then took the spare keyfob we keep and it won't respond to that either. I replaced the battery in one keyfob just to be sure but still no response. Car starts fine with both fobs, just the doors will not lock/unlock. 12V battery was replaced less than a year ago and voltages seem fine. Any suggestions as to what I should look for (remember this a UK spec non-SKS vehicle using the black keyfobs...)

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmm, if the battery in the key fob is new with no damage to the fob or fobs and 12 volt is good, it sounds like you might need to take a trip to the dealer or find someone who has techstream who can get the fobs working again. Usually it is just the batteries, but your situation is not usual.

Is it possible that the battery you put in was put in wrong? It is common for both batteries to go dead together, so I would double check the batteries in the fobs before I made a trip to the dealer.

3. Oggi

Oggi New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for the reply, seems too much of a coincidence that both should fail on the same day. The second fob was a replacement we bought new (and self programmed) when we acquired the vehicle. I suspect it's likely to be a fault in the receiver/processor for the fob signal within the vehicle. Would anyone know how this system works/where it is located in the vehicle/if there are any fuses that may be responsible for it? I try to avoid dealers wherever possible. I have read some posters experiences with dealers on your side of the pond, believe me, they are sometimes just as untrustworthy/incompetent/extortionate over here too. Regards.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a sks switch that turns off some of the FOBs functions next to the tire pressure sensor reset button on the panel underneath your steering wheel. Hope that's the problem because that means its no longer a problem. If it's still a problem: You can still lock your door by clicking the lock switch before you close your door and you can use the metal key to open the door...

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think Oggi has the button you referred to PriusCamper. His Prius is a base model also a UK version. He did state he has the black logo key fob with no SKS.

On another note. welcome back. Your input has been missed here on PC!

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ahh shucks... Thanks!!! About a week before the triangle of death and check engine light on a roadtrip I decided to renew my Prius Chat vows.

These cars run so well it's tempting to push them to neglectful limits... Anyways, after a lovely impromptu Motel6 hotel room stay the morning began with the lovely women at Napa auto parts with months of bronchitis explaining how much better she felt after a cigarette. She spoke of the long anticipated PAO93 error code at 142K. She cleared the code and I put a bag of ice on the inverter and made it 20 miles south to a dealer with no more warning. Got a brand new inverter coolant pump and they fixed my nearly fully shredded recalled steering problem for free as well... Pretty cool when a $466 bill is paid for by Toyota! :)

Tomorrow I'm changing the trans fluid and in the next few days I'm replacing the original 12volt Battery with a 12v 55ah wheelchair battery as per previous Britprius threads....

usnavystgc likes this.