1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non Start Issue

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by thephoenix, Jan 15, 2012.

1. thephoenix

thephoenix New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I know this might be a long shot because of the lack of information I have but I would like to throw it out there to see what kind of response I get. I have 120,000 mi. on my 2001 Prius. Two weeks ago when I turned the key it didnt start. I turned it off, and tried twice more then it started with the check engine light on and the orange triangle. I used my scanguage to turn off the check engine light but pulled a P000 code. After 15 min the screen said "problem solved" and all lights went off. Just a few days ago it happened again I got it to start on the third time and this time I pulled off a code...cant remeber the exact number it was something like 3161 or 3191. I called a dealership they told me the code was "engine wont start" HA:). So I drove it for a while drove fine orange triangle still lit up. It sat for about three hours then the started fine no lights no problems. Has started and ran just fine since. Even with this very vauge information does anyone have and opinion or information about what possibly this isssue could be, or as I have heard before might it just be time to replace the computer? Thank you for any information or comments.

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wouldn't replace anything until you get a consistent failure. I would however make sure the inverter coolant pump is running (turn the key to ig on, open the hood, open the inverter coolant reservoir and look for turbulence in the coolant). I would also check the 12V battery.

3. thephoenix

thephoenix New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    thanks for the info. I am curious what you would define as a consistent failure? I have been thinking of getting an inverter flush and fill, so I might not have to check if the pump is running myself. If it warms up a bit I'll give it a try. As far as checking the 12v should I just physically check the connections or have it tested at a auto zone type place? Thanks for anymore input

4. Mr Camouflage

Mr Camouflage New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Consistent failure would be not starting every time you tried to start it.

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Consistent (to me) would be warning lights come on all the time or nearly all the time. I've had several occasions on my '01 where lights come on for no apparent reason but reset and never came back or came back w/in 2 weeks and then not again. The problem for me turned out to be the 12V battery but, common problems seem to be inverter coolant pump, and a dirty throttle plate.

As far as checking the 12V, yes, check the connections for corrosion and the voltage of it (Autozone should be able to do this but, they won't have a battery that fits it). From everything I've read and my personal experience, if you start getting intermittent/inconsistent error messages/warning lights, your 12V battery is weak and should be replaced. Mine became evident on the first really cold day this year when it wouldn't start. Then I got all kinds of weird errors. Prior to that, I got intermittent errors and couldn't figure out why (the car ran and drove fine).

I would highly recommend checking the pump myself (or yourself in this case) b/c most mechs don't know the Prius (even the dealer mechs). It is a very simple procedure but if its not working, you might not see any error codes until the inverter overheats. You would then have to immediately pull over, turn the car off, have it towed and fixed (a lot more money out of your pocket). Do not be afraid of doing something this basic. Its too easy!!! :)