1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

non-starting 2006 Prius--12V?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by archae86, Jan 1, 2011.

1. NCExec

NCExec Toyota Import Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi from a UK Hybid Import Newbie!
    Just a point of interest for all of you "non-commercia"l motorists out there this winter:
    12V batteries contain water
    When discharged through use of fans, heaters, lights etc. the battery "Acid" is mainly water
    Water freezes in cold temperatures, fracturing plates and connectors
    Intermittently from that time the connections will make and break

Charge up your battery by giving it a good(20-30 mile) run
    Do not leave any unnecessary electrics running when charging is off
    If battery discharges when left unused for a week - only alarm/clock/radio memory/imobilizer/ECU's drawing power - Replace it!

Hope this helps, 35 years experience as a Commercial Driver!
    Norrie.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am wondering why you felt the need to put the 10 ohm resistor in series with your jumper pack? Why not instead use one of your Fluke meters to read the current flow?

The quiescent current flow when the car is IG-OFF will be around 20 mA and will pulse up and down as the security LED turns on and off.

I am not aware of any relay that disconnects the dedicated positive jump start terminal. Use your Fluke meter to measure voltage at that terminal, to ground.

It is not necessary to drive the Prius in order to charge up the 12V battery, as the 12V bus voltage when READY remains the same (~13.8V) whether your speed is 0 mph or 100 mph. Also, 20-30 miles implies driving time of 30 minutes to one hour at most. That is not sufficient time to charge up the 12V battery at a charging voltage of 13.8V; overnight is more like it.

3. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Having left my Prius for a week without driving, in (for Britain) very cold weather, I found it producing the warning triangle on every start. It was also randomly setting off its alarm (standard fit in the UK). This was three weeks after a previous week without driving. The 12V battery was down to 9.4V in Accessories mode with all lights etc turned off, according to the Vehicle Signal Check screen. The MFD will allow its input voltage to go down to about 8.4V before it switches itself off - that was the lowest I saw when going from ACC to IG-ON mode.

I did note that the area of the roof above the map light assembly had a different colour/pattern of frost to the rest of the roof, possibly indicating that it was warmer, possibly indicating a short. I've flicked the switches a few times to ensure it's not an intermittent contact, and the frost pattern was uniform the last few nights.

Down at this level, I noted that the charge voltage was 13.8V. I left it on for 8 hours and it had increased to 13.9V.

With further driving (minimum 30 minutes commute each day) this had risen to 14.0V, and after sitting overnight the battery was now at about 12.0V in ACC mode.

I recall seeing charging voltage as high as 14.4V when the battery was healthier.

It's my belief that Toyota have implemented a charging algorithm similar to this:

[​IMG]

(source: Charging the lead-acid battery)

2.2V per cell is 13.2V for a six-cell battery, the constant voltage phase voltage of 2.4V/cell would be 14.4V and the float voltage of 2.25V would be 13.5V.

The charging current recommended by Yuasa for the OEM battery is 2 amps, for the smaller battery used in non-smart-key cars such as mine. This has a nominal 35Ah capacity - at a rate of 2A it will take over 17 hours to fully recharge. The larger battery for smart-key cars (also used in the UK for cars with fog lamps) can accept 3A and has a 46Ah capacity, but I don't know if the Prius charges it this fast. I would assume not.

If your car is showing 13.8V when READY, it means one of two things: it's either very nearly full (so don't worry), or it's very nearly flat and will require a very long time to recharge. Check it in ACC mode before making the car READY to see which it is.

4. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    if no relay, then I erred

As it happens I have two Flukes, and the second was monitoring the jump terminal to ground voltage. It read 13.06 throughout--which was the unloaded voltage on my jump pack and was _not_ the voltage at the car battery. The one thing I am dead certain of is that the jump pack was not in fact supplying the primary 12V circuit of the car throughout--though it had earlier when I got the car running again on the old battery.

If there really is no disconnect relay then I must have committed a truly basic connection error this time, and not the previous time--possibly my clamp from the pack did not have contact to the chassis unpainted screw. This morning I checked by meter between the same two terminals, and I see 12.60V (the Prius not having operated for about 13 hours). That seems somewhat low (the Optima arrived with 12.90, and has gotten at least half an hour of run time per day since--which should have it gaining rather than losing), and makes me worry that a small trickle leak may in fact be part of my problem. Ugh, I'm not eager to got back to the trunk battery and make the necessary disconnection to allow a trickle leak measurement. I think I shall make a habit of checking the voltage each morning for a few days to look for a trend.

As to the resistor--I'm an electrical engineer, and you'd have to put a lot of pressure on me to route a connection from a multi-hundred amp battery pack to a car through the current connection of any meter--just hoping that a configuration would never occur that could blow up the meter. I got taught a lack of full faith in fuses (you pretty much can count on not protecting most semiconductor devices with most fuses) early in life, and the four years of my life I spent as a semiconductor reliability engineer keep that thought in my mind.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: if no relay, then I erred

I'm with you on this one. In these situations I use a clamp-on ammeter to avoid nasty surprises.

Tom

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

12.60V is perfectly normal for a brand new battery that has sat in the car overnight. The battery is always under parasitic load, 10s of mA. 12.90V represents 100% SoC with no load. Now that you have an Optima, it should give you years of trouble-free operation. If you are really worried about higher than normal current drain, get a cheapie DMM (i.e. Harbor Freight freebie) and connect it in series with your HF battery pack at the engine compartment jump point. Then disconnect your Optima. Read the current under the hood, and the voltage in the trunk. If the current is higher than 100ma and steady (assuming all doors are closed), then you may have a problem somewhere.

7. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    12.6 good

Ah, that is good news. I'll still check it a few times, but you have greatly raised my optimism that all is well. Thanks.

I still plan to check it (before I was a semiconductor reliability guy, I was a microprocessor design engineer, starting in the days before any computer checks--only the paranoid saw their designs actually work! And mine did.)

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I think that 12.6V when IG-OFF is OK considering that the quiescent current draw is ~20 mA.

Good point about the resistor. However a 10 ohm resistor will limit maximum current flow to ~1.2A. If you open a door and the cabin lights come on or the brake accumulator pump runs, this amount of current will not be sufficient.

This is why I don't think using a jump pack is the best solution if your intent is merely to keep the ECUs alive. I use a lab power supply where the maximum current available is 3A, which won't cause too much damage.