1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-Tesla Access to Supercharger Network Begins

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by iplug, Nov 1, 2021.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Rollout has begun - non-Tesla access to the Supercharger network:

Supercharger Network.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm shocked!:p

iplug likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Superchargers in Europe switched to CCS 2 when the Model 3 was released. So opening them up to the general public to get access to subsidies is an easy move for Tesla. Which more than covered to cost of adapters and refits for the few Model S and X's with the Tesla plug.

With more Superchargers in North America, and more Tesla cars on its roads, it doesn't sound like Tesla is going to convert the chargers to CCS, and hand out adapters to current customers. Which means non-Teslas will need an adapter in addition to the app. Considering what the CHAdeMO and third party CCS adapters go for, the one for others to use Superchargers isn't going to be cheap; in the hundreds of dollars range.
    Just like Europe, Tesla will need to open up the Superchargers here in order to access government charger incentives.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ohm-my this news hertz. Tesla owners may RE-VOLT - as CCS will EVentually have AMP-le Chargers. Watt is Tesla thinking!

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    1. compare and contrast - getting non-Tesla owners to experience SuperCharger simplicity and reliability.
    2. non-Tesla owner subsidies - always nice to have your honorable competition pays for you capital expansion.
    As for Tesla owners buying a CCS-1 to Tesla adapter, they are barely fast enough to be of much use.

Bob Wilson

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think many non-Tesla people are going to be willing to buy the adapter to make use of Superchargers.

The original Tesla to CCS adapter from Tesla was so older Teslas could use CCS Superchargers.