1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-Toyota Extended Warrenty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jaccinthebox, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Jaccinthebox

Jaccinthebox New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know everyone has a different opinion about extended warranties, but looking for some general advice for this specific situation: Bought a used 2010 Prius with 56,000KM (about 35,000 miles) and the dealer (Nissan) offered extended warranty through a 3rd party.

My concern is, the warranty is a regular gasoline-engine car warranty, but the Prius has so many parts that are different to a regular gasoline engined car. I asked if all the hybrid components were covered and they said that everything that is listed in the warranty brochure is covered... and only those things. So in my mind, I'm thinking a lot of the Prius will not be covered as the parts are so different and we will not need some of the coverage that is covered because the Prius either doesn't have those parts or they get a lot less wear and tear due to the way the hybrid works.

I know for sure the battery is not covered, neither will the traction motor be, I'm assuming. The battery still has 2 years manufacturer's warranty left on it.

The coverage is pricey: $2200 Canadian for 4 years (60,000km), but if you do not use the warranty within the period, you get $1900 back.

Anyone know specifically what parts are different than a regular car and how often do they fail?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! not much goes wrong the first 100,000 miles. how many miles per year will you put on over the next four years?

3. Jaccinthebox

Jaccinthebox New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We put on about 10,000km a year (6000 miles), so not much. I guess by that math, we'd be at the end of the warranty with approximately 100,000km (63,000miles)... so you reckon not much will go wrong in that period anyway?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not usually. i guess after 5 years, all your non hybrid warranties are up? some have had trouble with rear brakes sticking and wearing prematurely, maybe some egr and intake manifold cleaning, nothing that adds up to much money in the first 60,000 miles.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Greetings, and "Welcome to Prius Chat".

About the only thing that comes to mind for your specific situation will be the 12 volt auxiliary battery. That particular battery is sort of a oddball and is rather expensive to replace. I doubt very seriously your warranty will cover it also. 12volt battery replacement | PriusChat

If you intend on keeping that car for a LONG time, I would suggest you have the transaxle drained and refilled at a Toyota dealer OR DIY. A flush is NOT needed and is a UNNECESSARY expense. DIY Transmission Fluid Change? | PriusChat

As long as you keep the oil and filter changed on the engine and NOT let it fall below the lower dimple on the dipstick you will probably be ok over the next four years.

The key to anything is maintenance, and the Prius is no exception. Read through the owner's manual plus any other manuals that came with the car. You can also register your car at Toyota Owners Official Web Site Once you have done that you should be able to see any work that has been done on your Prius by Toyota. You can also download any manuals that might be missing from your car.

I wish you the best of luck and again "Welcome to Prius Chat"! (y)

6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The contract is the contract. You need to contact the warranty provider and get IN WRITING that everything on your hybrid is covered under the policy. Otherwise, it's not. What you can prove in writing is what you will take to court if you have to force them to pay for repairs under the contract.

7. Jaccinthebox

Jaccinthebox New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you all for your advise and assistance, it is all really helpful stuff. We have decided against the warranty and will instead put the money we would have spent on it into savings for any repairs that do come up. Thanks for being such a helpful and welcoming crowd - we're happy to finally be part of the Prius "family"!

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like a plan. Best of luck to you.