1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-typical engine shudder cold or hot - no error codes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ProblemPrius, Jun 5, 2023.

1. ProblemPrius

ProblemPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello, I'm having a problem with my 2013 Prius v Five with 147k miles.

Long ago (around the 100k mark) about every 50 or so cold starts the engine would shudder violently for 5 to 10 seconds and then smooth out. Slowly over time the violent shudders increased in frequency to about 1 in 10 cold starts. But last night, with the engine fully warmed up in 60 degree dry weather, after driving for about an hour the engine started to vibrate violently in stop and go city traffic, whenever the engine would turn on from all electric mode. I temporarily solved it by putting the gear selector in "B" mode so the engine stopped shutting off and the shudder did not occur for the remainder of the trip.

Since the shuddering started about 50k miles ago, I have had to add about a 1/2 gallon of coolant. However there is no noticeable white smoke from the tailpipe and no noticeable moisture in the oil, but could a blown head gasket still be a possibility?

Also, as far as I know the EGR has never been cleaned.

Looking at this forum it looks like the problem could be any one of about a dozen things from a dirty EGR, to a dirty PCV, to a dirty MAF sensor, to the wrong octane gas (I typically just use Shell 87), to water in the gas, to coolant needing a flush and fill, to a bad water pump, to a bad motor mount, to failing coil, to a fouled plug, to a bad coil wire, to a to blown head gasket!

Can anyone recommend the diagnostic steps you would begin and follow with in my situation?

ukulelegeek likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Atkinson engines act up like this occasionally even when there is nothing wrong... An EGR cleaning could help... Main thing is when this symptom happens more often and you start loosing engine coolant, it's early sign of blown head gasket which is common with Gen3 Prius.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    blown hg due to coolant loss

4. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Grit likes this.
  5. ProblemPrius

ProblemPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for the responses. Definitely not what I was wanting to hear. But it is a bit confusing. Why would the engine shudder repeatedly going from electric to engine after the engine was fully warmed up and not produce any smoke whatsoever if it is the head gasket? And if it is the head gasket why when I went to start it up this morning there was no shudder and as usual no smoke? It almost seems like an electrical malfunction to be this random. But if it was I suppose it would produce a code, but as yet, no light on the dash and no codes when I read the OBD with the Torque app.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. ProblemPrius

ProblemPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, I'll give it a try...

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    yes

I would bet $1000 on the head gasket which has progressed to severe. The first few months it was sealing the coolant leak as soon as it warmed up. The fouled plug cleared and all the egr / cold start condensation theories felt good.

Now it really needs a complete rebuilt engine.

9. ProblemPrius

ProblemPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am not up to doing a head gasket myself. I have been calling around local shops and no one wants to touch the Prius hybrid engine except Toyota dealerships! I'm waiting to hear back from service managers at two dealers, but so far one dealer quoted me a price of $4,200! They said it is a 20 hour job.

Can anyone recommend a shop in the Central-Maryland / DC / South-Central PA area?

Or maybe I should look a rebuilt engine?

ukulelegeek likes this.
  10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Rebuilt can be less than a dealer hg job. But you need to find a shop that will swap it. Changing a Prius engine is really no different than a non hybrid except they have to remove the inverter assembly, maybe a thirty minute or less job for the uninitiated.

Skilled shops can swap the motor in less than eight manhours. There is a video of Gasketmasters doing it in one hour with two guys.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  11. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Replacement of head gasket on these is no different to none hybrid gasket replacement

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. ProblemPrius

ProblemPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks all for the advice. I decided to go with a JDM engine from eBay that has less than half the miles of my 147k engine. It was just delivered today and it looks nice with one exception: the flywheel has some light surface rust (perhaps got rained on?). If this thing was left out in the rain will that cause any problems? Should I put my old non-rusty flywheel onto the new engine?

ukulelegeek likes this.
  13. Stephen Herman

Stephen Herman New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To confirm head gasket could do overnight pressure test of coolant system (any dealer should have equipment) no visible leaks but reservoir lowering, then yep its the head gasket.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  14. ProblemPrius

ProblemPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Long time since an update: Got the engine in and it runs great. A little more power and no more shudder. But now I got a totally new problem... the notorious ABS issue which Toyota refuses to cover. I'm going to post a new thread about it.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you clean the intake and EGR components?

16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad it's working.
    Did you have the ABS issue before installing the engine? If not, you should check
    all the connections and make you didn't forget to connect something... or disconnected...