1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Non-USA Hybrid Minivans

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 24, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've always thought the 6 passenger Mazda 5 model (truly a mini-van) would have made a great HEV/PHEV platform; basically the specs of the v but with sliding rear doors and more headroom for the mid & rear seats.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how's the pacifica working out?

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Last I looked into the Estima hybrid, it was between the Sienna and Mazda5 in size. If that is still the case, then the Americans that still buy minivans will not buy these hybrids.

The HSD used in the RX should work in the US Sienna. In the past, I think such a minivan would have been overpriced for the fuel economy improvement. That may have changed now that Toyota is offering multiple trims of the Highlanderh.

Looking at the curb weight, I don't think the Accord hybrid system will work well in the US Odyssey as is.

The real issue though, is that the minivan market is dying. GM and Ford have been out for awhile. The Mazda5 is gone, and Nissan stepped out this year. FCA, Honda, Toyota, plus Kia are all that is left. If the trend continues, Kia will be the next to drop out.

austingreen and fotomoto like this.
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    1) People normally buy minivans for low cost versus SUVs and crossovers. A van would make a great phev. A minivan - well no, simply because people won't pay the price.

2) Put somthing like the 2018 camry hybrid system in and maybe it works. You probably need a bigger mg2 and larger more powerful battery since it is a heavier vehicle, but mg1/hsd/etc could work as long is the price is low enough.

3) seriously what you want is a crossover 7 passenger phev, built from the ground up. Its going to be expensive, so might as well put at least 7 kwh of batteries in it and a turbo 2L that can run miller cycle (or one of those new supercharged hcci mazda engines) and make the thing aerodyanmic but comfortable. That sienna starts 1200 lbs heavier than a camry. You probably are going to do a steel/aluminum treatment like tesla is doing with the model 3 to save weight, and build the battery into the chasis so it doesn't take up any interior space. Superefficient locked overdrive miller cycle on the highway, batteries for acceleration and city driving.

Compare Side-by-Side

Compare Side-by-Side

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    iirc, the parent company is Fiat. So, at least ONE foreign (plugin !!!) hybrid minivan gets sold here in the usa.
    ;):D
    humor aside, as younger folk, we used to say FIAT was an acronym for, "fix it again, Tony".
    Lo & behold, the plugin has already been hit up for a recall;
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid plug-in minivan recalled for faulty diode (updated)
    what a drag - having to bring in a car for repairs so early in the game

bisco likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Estima is too small for the American market (at least the modern American market) but I believe the improvements made to the Gen 4 can make for a viable hybrid minivan. 32mpg is the target (ok the Pacifica has a bigger battery but still, nothing wrong with aiming high).

The question is: Is the 2.5 litre Dynamic Force engine and HSD combo in the new Camry (208hp) enough to carry 7 passengers, luggage and the weight of a minivan?

Or does Toyota have to resign to using the 3.5 litre HSD setup (which may also get improvements.... we'll have to see what they do with the HiHy and RXh).

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    resign ? iirc the 3.5L hyhi is already improved ... now over 300hp as well as higher epa ... 29mpg blended & 30 city? Slap a Pacifica sized traction pack in that sucker & ...... lookout!! If parent company Fiat can get credit for the amazing Pacifica stats, then Toyota ought to be able to follow suit, if not better it. It's only sad that they didn't do it 1st.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'm assuming they're going the hybrid route and not PHV hence the assumption that they'll try to use the 2.5 HSD if possible to get better mpg if the performance is adequate.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Don't forget what happened to the first generation volt when they tried to go skimpy on the ice.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, last I heard (and this was several years ago now), they didn't achieve the performance they wanted with the current gen Sienna. Didn't say if they meant underwhelming power with the 2.4 HSD (or 2.5 HSD) or whether the mpg gain with the 3.5 HSD wasn't large enough.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Well you WERE spot on - years ago, when i 1st lamented the notion a plugin Prius v would not come about, & you corectly pointed out the frame was just too light to properly support such a build - between all the competing safety / suspension / power issues. so from that, one easily can glean that weight & power serves a valid interest in range/efficiency increases.

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is that new RWD hybrid transmission in a Lexus. I suspect its intended use was for a truck, so it might work well in a heavy minivan.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stylistically everyone (except me) rejects wagons and minivans as out-of-style in favor of SUV format.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Multi-Stage Hybrid? If the rumours of a RWD-biased Pilot or Odyssey hybrid are true then maybe Toyota could. But you would think packaging would favour a FWD minivan (so that you can have your fold-into-the-floor seats)

16. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Estima/Privia hybrid is not going to cut it in the US. You need to bring the Toyota Alphard Hybrid to the US. It may be ugly as hell but it's the closest size to the Sienna and probably more luxurious.

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think there is a market for a utilitarian micro/mini van:
    • VM MicroBus
    • Scion xB (original)
    For us, the BMW i3-REx is the close enough that I am using it more frequently than the Prius Prime.

Bob Wilson

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Perhaps it can be packaged for FWD.
    I thought the fold in the floor seats were FCA only, because of patents.

It's a small market though. We might see an EV Microbus in the future, but the xB became Matrix sized, and Mazda5 was cancelled due to low sales.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll be a different system but if they really wanted to, I'm sure they could. Might be a hard business case to sell to the boss.

Yeah I think that's just the "Stow n' Go" seats for the 2nd row. Practically everyone else has the 3rd row folding into the floor. (Sorry I was thinking 3rd row when I made that comment).

20. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Odyssey hybrid if they build it, will be based on the accura mdx hybrid - fwd engine with electric motors in the front and rear - similar to the Lexus RXh.

Still cost and mpg from a big v6 hybrid is not that great. Perhaps to keep costs down a 2L turbo 4 running the miller cycle and simple hsd like the camry system (more powerful battery and mg2 to provide enough torque for the added weight). Still I think that phev is probably the way to go on a minivan - but sales of the pacifica phev are not great.
    You mean like this?

270-Mile All-Electric VW I.D. Buzz Is the VW Bus Reimagined