1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noob, Greetings! and... did I make a mistake!?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by psycho_drama, Dec 13, 2011.

1. psycho_drama

psycho_drama New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey everyone!

I'm new owner of 2008 Touring/Option 6 as of last night!

And of course I've been doing some additional research online and came across this a site called consumeraffairs.com that lists multiple problems with Prius and Toyota's unwillingness to step up and correct some issues.

Did I make a mistake?! :(

I know every car has issues, but this laundry list does make me quite nervous.

Thanks for all the insights/wisdom in advance! :confused:

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No mistake in my opinion. I'm on my second (2004 and now 2010) and I'm very satisified with the Prius.

1 person likes this.
  3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't be alarmed by an attorney's bait website. They exist to drum up business. Consumer Reports magazine finds Prius and Toyota among the most reliable of cars and brands.

1 person likes this.
  4. psycho_drama

psycho_drama New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the assurance, I did do quite a bit of research before pulling the trigger. I guess I have the new-to-me-car jitters. I was and still am so happy to dump the gas guzzler. :D

5. LaughingBonsai

LaughingBonsai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just breeze through the "200,000 Mile Club" thread located in the Gen II Main forum, it should give you some reassurance. My '08 has about 85,000 miles now and I couldn't be happier. The ONLY issue I have had is with my HID bulbs burning out (well known problem), so I really can't complain.

1 person likes this.
  6. psycho_drama

psycho_drama New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, the issues with HID is concerning and can't believe it hasn't been addressed by Toyo. I could put up with a $50 issue occasionally, but an ongoing issue with $200-250 per incident I can't stomach.

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, you made a mistake, but you can learn from this. Don't make the mistake of going to consumeraffairs.com again - they're a bunch of ambulance chasers of the sort that give lawyers a bad name.

1 person likes this.
  8. LaughingBonsai

LaughingBonsai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The upside to the issue is that you don't necessarily have to go to Toyota to have them replaced for *ridiculous price* . New bulbs can be purchased from eBay for ~$45 USD a piece and there are instructions here on the forum to DIY.

9. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is some discussion about replacing the transaxle fluid every 60k miles. Toyota just has it "checked" but no replacement date. It is supposed to be "lifetime" fluid, but when your transaxle dies that date is the "lifetime" date.;)

When you take it in for your first service, have the change the transaxle fluid as well. Costs less than $50 (much less than replacing a transaxle).

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So true, so true!

PD, notice the difference here: Consumer Reports vs. Consumer Affairs.
    Consumer Reports is the unbiased group that attempts to test and rate everything.
    Consumer Affairs is a bunch of class action lawyers who claimed squatters' rights to a website that looks and sounds a lot like a legitimate consumer advocacy group. Someone who can't quite remember the name Consumer Reports could easily be tricked into believing they wanted Consumer Affairs all along. And once there, they are again tricked into buying into their own get rich scheme (class action lawyers make tons of money while the actual victims usually get relatively little).

Also, my '04 is still running great after seven years and almost 90,000 miles.
    Welcome aboard. :welcome:

11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please post the name and location of the Toyota dealer that only charges $50 for a fluid change with ATF WS. Lowest I have ever heard of is about $75, typical is $80-$100. Just trying to manage expectations for the original poster, who should get a trans fluid change done.

12. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We purchased a 2007 Prius. We were so impressed with the car that we purchased a second 2010 Prius.
    We are just so pleased with the cars that we may purchase a PIP to replace the 2007.
    Relax my friend and enjoy your New Ride!

13. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    60K+ miles on both 2007 Prius and 2005 Honda Odyssey. WAY fewer problems, and zero serious problems, on the Prius. Odyssey? Well I've gotten back the value of the extended warranty a few times over at this point. Enjoy the Prius, read these forums & learn what to look out for, you'll be fine.

- D

14. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    91k miles on my 06 and no issues....there is a guy on here (too fast 4 u) who has 450k on an 09 (original owner too) and he's mostly on all original parts.

toyotas for the most part are bulletproof...enjoy the reliable mundaneness called Toyota ;)

15. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    psycho_drama I don't know your needs for a car or your finances, but if you've made a mistake you may find that it was not buying a Prius sooner.

My wife has a Prius at the top of her "want list" and I'm sure that after she finally buys one she will be asking me why I didn't insist that she get it sooner. Of course, I'd prefer not get into the issue of why I don't care to insist. That's a lesson that life has taught me.;)

16. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Read up on HIDs: http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...n/101472-not-all-hid-bulbs-created-equal.html

Inside of there is an explanation of the D4x vs D2x bulbs, the Toyota HID non-issue and why not to purchase cheap flea-bay bulbs.