1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noob Questions: Etiquette, Deal Validation, Poll

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by the_chinadian, Nov 12, 2012.

1. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi all,

This forum successfully talked me into switching gears and buying a PIP instead of a non-PIP Three. I am semi-new to participating in online forums and each one is a little different, so here's a few questions:

#1 ETIQUETTE - Is is considered "poor form" to post questions about whether you're getting a decent deal? I believe someone responded in one of my threads indicating that the forum exists for advice, but not for sales... Is there a sticky on etiquette that I should read?

#2 DEAL VALIDATION - Depending on the answer to #1, i'm not sure if I should be asking this. I always second-guess myself, and I was hoping for a little affirmation to pull the trigger. Two dealerships have offered a price of $29,988 or $32,784 OTD for a base PIP. They are both allowing 0% financing for 60 months with $0 down. Is this a good deal? as far as I can tell, it seems like a "fair" deal, but not a steal. I'm ok with this. I just don't want to get robbed and leave thousands on the table. I recognize that I will get another $2,500 federal credit and a $1,500 CVRP thanks to everyone on this forum.

#3 POLL - the only two cars at the price point mentioned in #2 are Silver or Gray. Which color do you prefer? Both have dark gray interiors. I personally love the BP, but can't justify spending another $2k to get it. There seems to be no wiggle room on prices of BP PIPs...

Thanks all for the help and advice,
    Marc

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I cant speak for everyone.. but there seems to be a lot of "did a get a good deal" posts and threads lately.. of course, I'm somewhat bitter I only got $500 off MSRP being an early adopter, but I do like seeing what the current selling prices are so I can pass it along to people who ask me what they should expect to pay..

For #3 - My opinion, Winter Gray Metallic looks better when its clean, but Silver is easier to keep looking clean. Also, if you prefer to blend into the sea of Prii in CA, then the Silver would probably suit you better since the silver trim (front bumper and rear hatch) blend with the Silver much better

3. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry for the bitterness. I appreciate your frustration. I have my fair share of getting hosed being an early adopter. I have also bought and sold way too many cars in the past 3 years... so I have suffered my fair share of depreciation and then some. In this economy, it stinks to lose precious dollars. Then again, if we're buying new cars, we are luckily better off than many Americans out there.

Thanks for responding anyway and giving me your opinion. Always helpful. I like how the door handles "pop" against the dark gray.

MODIFICATION TO #3 ABOVE - just got a call from another dealership and they have a 2012 Blizzard Pearl and can price match! That is what I am leaning towards right now. Still have to confirm all final numbers tomorrow, but keeping my fingers crossed. My worst case scenario is still pretty good so I am thankful for that.

4. rcsting

rcsting Toyota Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Marc

I just purchased my PiP last week in Sacramento. Feel free to PM me for details. Maita Toyota ?

Mike

5. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm bitter, but not really :cool:.. I'm on my 5th tank of gas, but this current tank is the 1st tank I've paid for myself (got a $100 gas card from Dianne when I purchased).. I get half my electricity from "work" ("going home charge").. and I've owned my PiP since 2/28/2012.. lastly, my last car had a lifetime MPG of 18.1 MPG.. so I'm not really that bitter :D

I think you'll love the BP.. my co-worker just got a BP PiP and its a good looking car.. if I didnt have WGM myself, I'd be inclined to say BP looks better :D

6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Vehicle Price: $33,307.00
    Market Savings: - $2,108.00
    Customer Rebate: - $1,500.00
    SmartChoice Price: $29,699.00

Sales Tax (estimate): + $2,643.96
    Tire/Battery/MVWEA: + $8.75
    Tag/Registration Fees (estimate): + $272.00
    Flat Add/County Fee: + $20.00
    Electronic Filing: + $18.60
    Smog Abatement Fee: + $20.00
    Documentation Fee: + $80.00
    Balance Due (estimate): $32,762.31

Thats the OTD quote I got from Hayward Toyota for a BP on Oct. 11. It was sent to me two days after I purchased my blue PiP for $60 more. What really pissed me off wasn't the $60. It was that I wanted white like you and settled on blue because the other 5 dealers i contacted were charging me +$500 and up for a white one. I was willing to pay Toyota's $200 up charge for Blizzard Pearl but the white ones seemed to have additional options i didn't want to pay for like rear bumper applique or whatever.

Don't know if they still have the car but i can forward the email to you if you message me your email.

7. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As always, thanks for the fast reponse mmmoden. And the data. When you told me about hayward, I contacted them and the sales guy said he didn't have any left. Cheers.

8. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  9. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dude - this is awesome! Love the google spreadsheet. Will send you my info once I close deal.

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm so excited for you. The past couple of weeks, I've had countless coworkers coming up to me questioning that weird contraption sticking out of my fuel door. Most, eventually, walked away shaking their heads wondering why I would pay $29k for a vehicle with a useless 11 mile EV range. I couldn't convince my boss to get the Volt but I managed to sway him on a Ford Fusion instead of a Mustang GT. Another coworker is about to purchase a used Prius instead of a used Jetta TDI. I didn't want to buy the PiP. But happenstance forced me to buy another car. I'm glad my PiP has helped stirred conversation for people to consider more environmentally friendly vehicles.

lensovet likes this.