1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noobster

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Steel Rat, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Steel Rat

Steel Rat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello All,

I'm a new Prius owner. Well, I don't own a new Prius, but I'm new to them.

I bought a 2012 plug-in model from my step-mom for 10k. It has 73k miles, and I more or less know its history. My dad was the primary driver, but he passed away a few weeks ago, so I offered to buy it from her. I looked up trade-in values and they ranged from 8-12k, and comparable models for sale from dealers and individuals were going for 15-25k. I wanted to make sure she got fair value for it without breaking my bank.

I don't know the specific package (trim level?), doesn't seem any obvious way to find out. It does not have fog lights or Auto headlights, if that helps. Otherwise, it has full power windows and locks, climate control, XM radio. My Step-mom had heated seats added after purchase.

I read through the Newb posts, dos and don'ts, good stuff in there.

Still confused about the gas volume though. Does the 2012 still have the internal fuel tank bladder? Supposedly the tank is 11.9 gallons. But with one bar left, it only took 7.8 gallons. So yeah, confused. I'll probably just do what most people say they're doing, fill up at about half a tank, that would be every other day for me.

On the plus side, it looks like I'm getting at least 40MPG (I write down my mileage at the end of each day, so it was a simple calc when I filled up the second and third times), driving for Doordash and Uber Eats in a smallish Navy town, doing about 100 miles a day.

Anyway, just here to get my 4 posts in ;)

TGrracie and bisco like this.
  2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    My condolences on your loss.
    Try Toyota’s Vehicle Specification page; it should have this information for most Toyota cars built for sale in the U.S. mainland.
    I don’t believe so.
    Did you wait for the “REFUEL READY” message (Owner’s Manual (PDF), pp. 174–178)?

JimboPalmer likes this.
  3. Steel Rat

Steel Rat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks.

I had no idea about that. Will try it tomorrow.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you got a great car, congrats!(y)

it is the base package, but could she be mistaken about the seats? mine came with heated seats.

when the last bar is blinking, and dte is zero, it takes 8 gallons. the plug in tank is smaller (10.6 gallons) due to the battery, so there is only 2.6g remaining. the rest is still in the tank as a safety measure for those of us subject to 'senior moments'. :oops:

have you tried plugging in yet?

5. Steel Rat

Steel Rat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I plugged it in last night. When I got in it told me I had 11.5 miles EV available. Since it's getting colder here, I had the heater running, so it went a little faster than that. So it's not terribly useful for me, but I'll probably keep charging it nightly.

I did the refuel process today. The "refuel ready" message came up immediately, so I have no reason to believe it didn't on prior occasions, I just wasn't looking for it.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It can be much more effective to use the heater in HV mode, with the ICE warmed up. The ICE warmup cycle is pretty darn quick (PDQ) and the mileage can be better in HV mode with a close to full charge for several reasons. Those reasons are not intuitive and take time to figure out, much like some of the new gauges on the MID (multi informational display).
    Some of the old PiP threads were fun and sometimes even educational.
    One of my favorites was and still is, even though it took me a long time to find it again
    'Lifetime' EV and HV Driving Efficiencies | PriusChat
    Hope you get as much from it as I did ;)

7. Steel Rat

Steel Rat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was going by what she said. But when I plugin in the VIN on Toyota's site, one of the interior items says:

"Fabric-Trimmed Heated Front Sts w/6-Way Adj Driver's Seat & 4-Way Adj Pass Seat"

That seems to imply the electric seat adjustments, but it doesn't have that, all manual. Although I suppose all the manual adjustments add up "6 way".

That would help to explain why it seemed like it was taking so little gas. Thanks!

When you say "due to the battery", does the plug-in have a larger traction battery? Or is there a third battery for EV only?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the battery is 4 times the size of the standard. that's how you get 10-15 miles of range, depending on the driving conditions.
    the seat is adjustable as described, but not electric also as it is not described. the higher package has a power drivers seat.
    even the manually adjusted drivers seat height comes in handy, but would be a pain for changing drivers.

9. Steel Rat

Steel Rat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you mean 4 times the capacity. It's only twice the weight, so probably only twice as large. But thanks for the info.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's lithium vs nimh, so size/weight/capacity don't match up, on the standard prius, there is a large storage space under the hatch floor. beneath that, the spare tire. then, the gas tank. all taken up by the plug in battery.

11. Steel Rat

Steel Rat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, I've watched a few videos. It's actually smaller than I thought it would be.

12. Steel Rat

Steel Rat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've been trying to find specs on the battery sizes between the 2004-09 and 2010-15 models. The earlier ones look to be the same size. They fit in the same space.

13. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    see what I mean about translations ..... Me says so, you think I meant know.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds right, there wasn't much change. neither is related to the pip, battery wise

15. Steel Rat

Steel Rat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, do you have a link that shows the size difference? I'm coming up with nothing.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. Steel Rat

Steel Rat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, that helps. It does look 4 times bigger! My apologies for doubting. Odd that I can't find any videos about it.

18. Steel Rat

Steel Rat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ummm what?

vvillovv likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a professor who dismantles all the electric vehicles and makes videos. i'm surprised he doesn't come up. i'll try to think of his name.
    this guy, but i still can't find a video:
    WeberAuto

#19 bisco, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021