1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Normal CVT behavior?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusGuy32, Sep 16, 2012.

1. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just attended a seminar this summer at the Toyota dealer at Yakima Wash. and Wayne put it on. He put a lot of en-fuses towards this method of starting off when ICE was warm. Of course there are many things to help as well and you mentioned pulse and glide. This may have been new to his seminar? H

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP: Are you starting your forward movement on an incline ?
    If not, then a brake not fully released makes sense to me too. Is your parking brake fully released ?
    Typically, how full is the traction battery when this happens ? Is it every day and 100% reproducible ?

I have two Toyota hybrids, and I experience no delay in forward movement when I take my foot off the brake pedal in 'drive.' I suggest avoiding similies to conventional cars when you describe what is going on. At best they are wildly inaccurate, and for those of us who have forgotten how regular cars 'feel,' not informative.

All the best, and congrats on your new Prius

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    op, something is definately wrong. if it isn't brakes, i would get it to a dealer. who did you buy it from?

4. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks everybody for the replies!!

I bought the car from a private seller. It just had the 50,000 service which included transaxle fluid change, at the Toyota dealer.

The parking brake sticking makes sense. At least I hope thats it. o_O Sometimes when it does it I feel a shudder.

5. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    PriusGuy32,

I'm not sure what the terrain is in your driveway & on the street where you start to take off & I have no experience with the "hill holder" function, but could this be what is happening. I don';t know if it was/is only available in certain option pkg's or what year it became available in the Prius. I also don't know what it takes to activate/engage it. Can anybody enlighten us & weigh in on if that's what they think may be happening to this guy's Prius?

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It is a nice thought, but I doubt it is part of the OP's situation. The Gen III cars have a hill start assist with an indicator light and sound. The OP's Gen II doesn't have the same thing. The car's system doesn't allow it to roll backward while in Drive, so it is similar to a hill start assist, but there is no specific indicator in the Gen II model.

There is a bit more information about the Hill Start Assist in this thread: Hill start assist is kinda cool.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Deleted - Duplicate post