1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Normal Wear and Tear?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ChaiLove, May 10, 2012.

1. ChaiLove

ChaiLove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Update: After complaining for the past year I finally got a Toyota rep to come look at my seat today. They said it was "normal wear and tear" but they would do a "good will" repair to it. I wasn't contacted about it's status or what they would do for it and I had to pick up the car after the service center was closed because I work a 10 hour day. I pick up the car and first impression upon opening the door is a wave of paint fumes. I am not sure what they did to that panel but that side of the seat back and side "wing" are now stiff and rough as if they coated it in paint. I will have to call in the morning to find out what exactly was done to it. The only good news is that you cannot see the scratches now but I have a bad feeling that I am not going to be happy about how they chose to "repair" the seat. Shouldn't they have contacted me and told me what they planned to do to it first?

2. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unlike the steering wheel thread, I do consider this to be abnormal (however pervasively it may occur), given the mileage and age of the vehicle.

3. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Something tells me I'm going to agree with you on this as well...

ChaiLove likes this.
  4. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It does appear something was catching on the leather upon entry/exit causing the marks, therefore the dealer was likely correct in stating "wear and tear" are not covered. What other opinion were they supposed to offer? They go by what they see and observe, not by what you say. However, they rose above it all and offered the goodwill repair. The key word is repair, not replace. For minimal surface damage, leather can be sometimes repaired to minimize the look and appearance of the damage. If the leather had split open or torn apart at the seams, a replacement would have been in order, but even then it's likely the dealer would still say it was "wear and tear".

5. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    not cool. i'd be pissed if my seats looked like that with your stats

ChaiLove likes this.
  6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the leather was in fact defective causing it to be hypersensitive to something catching on the leather and leaving wear and tear-like marks, the OP could have demonstrated that by purposely scratching the affected side and showing that it's hypersensitive to such marks compared to the unaffected side.

Some people got the black iPhone 5 with defective anodizing coating that looked like hell after just two short weeks, easily demonstrable by showing that the black comes off with rubbing.

7. ChaiLove

ChaiLove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I finally got the dealer to talk to me after leaving work early to meet them in person. They had the leather sanded and re-dyed on that half of the seat by rubbing dye on it. I informed them that they should have contacted me before doing that because I would have never authorized that. That side of the seat is now stiff and rough feeling and I pointed out that I am concerned that this area will now flake and never feel ok again. I am really mad and told them they need to take this back to the Toyota rep because I now feel like my seat is in worse condition than when it just had some scratches on it.

8. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a variety ways the leather could be scratched or scuffed. If ChaiLove is shorter and needs to have the seat positioned closer to the steering wheel, getting in and out of the seat could suffer from scuffing and if wearing a belt or other clothing with metal parts, scratches can occur without being aware of it. Even a dog could potentially scuff the leather too. The drivers seat received the most wear and tear. The leather in my previous 10' Prius IV didn't suffer any scuffing or scratches during the 49k miles I had it, even when the occasional button on my pants pocket would catch.

9. ChaiLove

ChaiLove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, we already went through all that about clothing and other things that could scratch when I posted a year ago. One of the points I raised to them today was that I have two dogs who sit in the back seat all the time yet there are absolutely no scratches in the back seats (I made them look). If something was going to cause a scratch dog nails sure would do it. I continue to hold onto the feeling that the panel of "leather" must have no been dyed properly or was defective in some other way because it should not have worn like that. Now the bigger issue is the fact that I did not authorize this repair and now feel that the seat is more damaged than when they started. I work in health care and all I can keep thinking is..."do no harm"!

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Might be too late now, but can you purposely induce a scratch on the supposedly defective panel and show that it scratches more easily than the other side? That's the way to demonstrate that it's in fact defective, not just your words that it's not an user inflicted damage, even if you caused it without knowing it.

I'm not sure what you meant by you did not authorize the repair. You handed the car to them to do the repair but didn't inquire what type of repair they'd do. Dealers typically do the cheapest repair they can get away with. A dealer once dented a previous car of mine and they wanted to fix it cheaply with body filler, which I refused.

11. ChaiLove

ChaiLove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At this point they have sanded and dyed the leather so I can't prove if there was a defect or not. The Toyota rep was supposed to look at it and then they were supposed to call me to tell me what he/she said. They never called me and then when I finally got a hold of them by the end of the day I was told it had been "fixed". They sanded the leather on half of the seat and then dyed it without asking me if I would be ok with them doing so. If they had asked me the answer would have been NO!

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Got it. They surely jumped the gun on this one.

13. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like this was a misunderstanding between you and the dealer. They knew you were not happy with their standard answer, got approval for the "goodwill" repair, and didn't realize you were to be contacted prior to the repair. Maybe they thought since you were notified they would do the repair, that was the notification you wanted? Did you specifically ask them to call and tell you exactly what they were going to do before they do it? Unless you were very clear and specific about it, they did what they said they were going to do. I'm just playing devils advocate here and not taking sides. I've seen it happen in many situations where people have a set of assumed expectations for the other party involved, but when they're not met, one side is even more unhappy, and the other side is just thinking this is a no-win situation no matter what they do. Maybe if you had asked specifically to have the leather replaced, you would have had a different result.

14. ChaiLove

ChaiLove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The rep was coming to determine if I was eligible for a repair because the dealer had told me I wasn't and I was contesting it. I was dropping it off with the understanding that they would call me to tell me if the rep felt it was eligible. There had been no discussion of doing a repair because as far as the dealer was concerned I was not eligible.

15. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the dealer/Toyota rep know exactly what you want? You haven't stated that in this thread so my guess is they don't know either. All we know is what you didn't want. You got them to re-look at your seat and received an approval for their good-will repair. Either they forgot to call and tell you exactly what the "repair" will be and get your approval first, or they were not specifically told to do so and were not aware of your expectations. They likely thought by your acknowledgement of the good-will repair meant they could go ahead and do what they did. Going to a different dealer would not have helped as far as getting the dealer to do something. Dealers in the same geographic area deal with the same Toyota reps. Dealer service dept's generally don't do anything they are not compensated for, so they either look to the car owner or directly from Toyota for payment. In this case, you got Toyota to pay for the repair - it's not the dealers fault you're unhappy.

16. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Is anyone aware if this happens to softec? This is my first vehicle with it and this thread is making me nervous...

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No reported case. Don't worry because so far it's indicative of an user-inflicted damage as the OP has not done a scratch test to prove otherwise or shown any additional wear in over a year since if it were in fact defective.

Eclipse1701d likes this.
  18. ChaiLove

ChaiLove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe it will help people understand why I am so upset if they can see pictures of the "repaired" seat results...

This is what normal seat texture looks like
    62213 Normal Texture.jpg

This is what the seat texture now looks like
    62213 Damaged Texture.jpg

This is an image of the stitches that were sanded and painted versus just painted on the other side
    62213 Damaged Stitches.jpg

and another image of the damaged stitches
    62213 Sanded Damage.jpg

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that this "repair" was not authorized by me and no attempt at getting authorization had been made. This "repair" has damaged my seat much worse than when it was brought there. I have contacted corporate at this point because the dealer seems to think this will go away if they stall long enough.

19. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The stitching does look bad and I agree that it doesn't look good or match the original texture. But short of getting a whole new seat or seat cover or replacing that panel of leather, what were you expecting them to do? Again, I have to state that you did not specify exactly what you wanted them to do, and whether explicitly or not, they thought you had given them approval to repair it. At the very least, you should have asked 'how will you repair it?' The bigger issue is the difference of opinion you have with Toyota on the diagnoses of the original problem. You think the damage to the leather is the fault of Toyota, and obviously the dealer and the Toyota rep think it's not. If it was found that the leather was defective, a replacement would have been in order. But because it's not, the goodwill repair was the option they could grant you. Someone has to pay for repair/replacement, but Toyota has made clear they are not liable and therefore will not pay to replace it. I suggest finding a shop that does automotive upholstery repair, show them the before pictures and ask them what should have been done short of replacement. Then compare what they tell you to what was actually done, then take your case back to the dealer/Toyota rep.

20. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with this. If you wanted a replacement, the burden of proof is on you to show it's actually defective by 1) demonstrating additional wear above and beyond the pictures in your OP in the 14 months since or 2) doing a scratch test. To expect otherwise is akin to walking into an Apple store with a shattered iPhone screen and telling them it just happened and expecting them to replace it.