1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

North American EV Indicator Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Apr 30, 2007.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I just got done tearing my dash apart to see if installing an EV light is possible. I spent 6 hours tearing the dash apart. Had a good learning experience. Cut 3 fingers. Scratched my leather wheel cover but I put some touch up paint on it to hide the scratch. Lost my MPG on the MFD but I was only about 100 miles into this tank. My conclusion is that its not possible to add the EV light. :angry:

I was able to trace down 3 connectors that go to the EV light. I soldered on 3 lengths of wire to the 13 pin connector where I traced the connections too. I then hooked everything up and put my volt meter on the ends of the wires to see if there was a voltage change when I entered or exited EV mode. Sadly nothing changed. :( I tried all 3 in different configurations. I even tried grounding each wire with the volt meter hooked up. The Only thing I found was 2 of the wires had a constant 12v and the other was a ground.

I believe there must be either (1) There are some more components missing from the main computer (2) There are missing wires going to the main computer or (3) There is no programming for the light.

I'm not going to dive into this any further but if anyone else wants to tackle this you can.

Also if anyone is interested in a schematic of the indicator circuit board just ask and I will post it shortly.

You can see where the EV light should go here on the left right next to the W. The W means the LED should be WHITE.
    [attachmentid=7772]

[attachmentid=7773]

Attached Files:

• pipl.jpg
      pipl.jpg
      File size:
      62.7 KB
      Views:
    • pipr.jpg
      pipr.jpg
      File size:
      72.5 KB
      Views:
  2. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Apr 30 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]432852[/snapback]</div>
    so is there an ICON on the dash that if there were a light it would illuminate?
    because if you just add an ev sw. 2pole single throw and power half of the sw.and the other to the ev indicator and just bypass the relay board all together. if the indicator is realy important.

seems as it shpould work if the icon is there or is it blacked out on the dash?

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

There is no etching on the North American dash. I think only the LED was missing, The Force would have found someone to do the etching for him later, but all in all he has the can-view to show when EV mode is on.

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 30 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]432861[/snapback]</div>
    No icon on the plastic but if I could get it to work I could etch one on.

This would not work because the car could deny EV mode and your light would still be on. Now if Norm could reprogram 1 relay on the Can-View to turn on when in EV mode we could route a light up there but I would not want him to do that because with a Can-View the light is pointless.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow man, you just saved DH some work, he was interested in the very same thing! that does suck though :(

thanks for doing that.

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I think I have a theory.

The extra resistor and diode just pass voltage to a pin on the connector. Could this be an "enable LED" signal for the computer? Something like if signal is + then you have EV and light the LED when EV mode is activated, if not dont send voltage to the LED.

Could this be how it works? If so we will need to find the resistor values to give it a try. Maybe if we can get one of our Japanese or Europe guys to take a good pic of the board it might help us a little.

Here is a schematic so you can see what is going on.

[attachmentid=7775]

Attached Files:

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    are you sure? Cause on the 04/05s, you can see the EV light outlight. The icon is there, the light isn't.

8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 1 2007, 12:13 AM) [snapback]433046[/snapback]</div>
    Really? You have the icon? on my 06 it is totally blacked out.

9. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I sure hope the guys over at Toyota are reading this. Do you see who you are dealing with? We are obsessed with a silly LED light? Why? Because everyone else in the world has it and we don't. How much time and frustration would you have saved your fans, how much money would you have saved in production, if you would have just left it in there?

Not having the silly led light does not hurt us, but somehow I can't help feeling a little cheated by not having one on my dash when the rest of the world does.

If I could buy one now for a reasonable price now I would.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ May 1 2007, 04:28 AM) [snapback]433116[/snapback]</div>
    They know...the new Highlander Hybrid will have an EV button. I'm confident the next gen Prius will too.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we don't have an EV outline in our 05...

12. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ May 1 2007, 05:28 AM) [snapback]433116[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe this has been asked before but why was the EV mode removed from the American version?

13. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm fairly certain that the resistor diode combo is there to let the computer know that there is an EV light. I see no other purpose for it to be on this circuit board to be other than an indicator that "something" is installed.

Here is what I would like to do if I ever decide to tackle this again.

Solder the 3 wires back on the connector. Hook everything back up. Run the wires to a bread board. The bread board will have a simulated complete circuit that has say a ~250ohm resistor and LED, and a ~500ohm resistor and diode hooked together as shown in the schematic. Then test to see if the LED will light up when entering EV mode.

Maybe someone that has all this stuff would be willing to try this out.

Also what would help fully understand the resistor/diode combo would be if one of our Japanese or Europe friends could desolder the connector pad that these two components go to then hook everything back up and give it a try. I say desoldering the connector solder pad would be the easiest because its a big pad to solder so you really cant mess it up. Just desolder, test, then resolder. I would do it in a hart beat if I had access to a EV enabled Prius.

14. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ May 1 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]433248[/snapback]</div>
    From this thread, http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=26599

Side note, why isn't that thread sticky anymore?

15. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What conditions cause EV light turn on as implemented by Toyota? Just curious.

16. danatt

danatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    force -

Nice detective work!

In my thread on the Sigma EV button install I did over the weekend I brought up the question about the EV indicator light. I said I thought I had seen it come on one time when all my indicator lights came on when I ran out of gas once. After reading your thread I really thought I must be going crazy. This morning I parked the car so that the sunlight hit the dash directly so I could see all the icons on there. Sure enough - I was mistaken. I think the indicator light I previously thought was EV light was probably the AC recirculate indicator light. Ooops! How embarassing.

But again, nice job!

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Apr 30 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]433058[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. Ask any other 04/05 owner. The EV light with the car-shaped leaf is there. We just don't have a bulb (at the minimum). You might want to tear up an 04/05 or salvage an 04/05's instrument cluster to check it out.

18. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 3 2007, 01:51 AM) [snapback]434568[/snapback]</div>
    This could be useful if we can get the light to work. If the 04-07 plastic cover is the same size and shape then we would not have to etch an EV car on to that plastic cover. All we would have to do is get a direct replacement.

19. Pegasus_

Pegasus_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Apr 30 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]432852[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the pictures!

I may be telling you what you already know, but the PCB is also missing the pull-up resistor for the LED, which means you won't get any change in signals measured at the point where the LED would go. Use a multimeter with continuity checker and see which resistor pad connects to which LED pad, then measure voltage between the other LED pad and the other resistor pad with EV mode on and off. My guess is that the system just grounds the LED when it wants to light it, so you won't see any change with just a voltmeter (other than going from floating to +12V.) Usually the ckt goes like this: GND--switch (ECU)--LED--pull-up resistor--+12V.

Also, the values of those surface mount resistors are printed right on top. I believe the first 2 digits are significant and the last is a multiplier (check the Web for certain.) Worst case, you can use your multi meter across one of the others and measure its resistance.

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 2 2007, 10:51 PM) [snapback]434568[/snapback]</div>
    My US '04 does not have the outline.