1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

North Carolina MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by froSTed, Jun 10, 2010.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL - You are definitely from the Raleigh/Durham area. It has been a while since I have heard Crapital Blvd !!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can see where the Glenwood/Crabtree area could be tough on gas mileage.

Have you driven your car on a 50 to 100 mile trip, or further, since you have had it? If not, try this and you should see what mileage that you can get when driving other than short trips.

Try to limit your highway speed to under 70 mph if you can. Once you get over 70 the highway mileage can drop to the 40-45 mpg range.

4. froSTed

froSTed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will take a nice 1200 mile trip soon, we shall see, I don't normally drive faster than 55 unless the speed limit is higher. The max I have had it up to is 70, and it felt very stable, smooth and quiet. This is my first Prius in many years, I expect 50+MPG, it should live up to the hype, after all, this is not exactly new technology.
    Watching "Who killed the electric car" on youtube. Rather sad that the oil companies have invested so much in undermining the car industry. Looking at the Nissan LEAF, and it seems to have the same range as the EV1. Seriously, 20 years and no progress at all? Am I supposed to swallow this?

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    please read up on the EPA test

Since we know nothing about your trip lengths, please read http://priuschat.com/forums/other-c...uth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates.html about the EPA tests and compare their driving cycle, trip lengths, test methodology (driving it on a dyno, not on a road; measuring tailpipe emissions, not fuel usage, etc.) vs. your drives.

Please also see http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...-fuel-economy/best-and-worst-fuel-economy.htm and http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...st-city-highway-mpg/best-city-highway-mpg.htm.

50+ mpg may be impossible given your trip lengths (which is unknown), traffic patterns and terrain. Since you're complaining about your mileage, please provide us enough info so that we can help (see earlier requests for you to answer my questionnaire).

Newness and "hype" have no relationship to how it will do vs. EPA mileage estimates.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    froSTED,

The 1200 mile trip at reasonable highway speeds should give you a good idea of what mpg the Prius is capable of. Let us know your mileage when you return.

I have had mine up to about 85 mph when passing on I-40. It was very stable and solid at that speed. It is surprising how much kick it has even at that speed when passing.

Dwight

7. froSTed

froSTed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: please read up on the EPA test

Just curious, does the EPA still test cars on an indoor air-conditioned track or do they have real world numbers based on hills, turns, and temperatures found in the summer and winter per state? Shouldn't this be a per state figure, as your real world MPG will be varied greatly in the plain states during mid spring and fall when compared to North Carolina in the summer or winter in Illinois. No matter how you drive, in some states, you just can't get the EPA mileage.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

froSTED,

Most of the others here on PC from NC are getting the EPA estimate and better. Once again, your situation appears to be based on your particular driving pattern and driving style.

When you complete your 1200 mile trip, post back and let us know what you get. Chances are that you will be able to match or exceed EPA estimates considering that you pay attention to speed limits, etc.

Yes extreme cold and extreme heat impact your mpg like on any other vehicle. With the Prius, you are still getting better mpg than most any other car on the road.

Dwight

9. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I live in sw va and have the hill problem. How ever my 2005 computed to 49.7 lifetime even though mostly short trips LOVED IT. Now having wrecked it I bought a 2006 65000 miles with all the bells and whistles you can get I can only get 39.7 mpg. Tires pumped to 48/46 . Has new or nearly new oem tires. Hope it is new tires causing the low mpg. I have removed over fill on oil and cleaned the throttle body What else can I do?

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

See the above links that I quoted. There are specific temps and temp ranges for the EPA test. There are not really any turns as they do it on a dyno (rollers). Any turns would be to keep the wheels on the rollers.

As for hills, unfortunately, the link to the EPA PDF at http://priuschat.com/forums/other-c...omes-up-realistic-fuel-economy-estimates.html is busted now. :| From http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/regulations.htm, I did find http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/420r06017.pdf (Final Technical Support Document) that's only 179 pages. It says:
    Nope, it's definitely not a on per-state basis.

Also, if you read the article that I linked to, you'll see that they don't measure actual fuel consumption either but rather tailpipe emissions.

11. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, merely a transplant ;). I apparently didn't get the memo about moving into Cary though...

Ditto on the area being a killer (crabtree and surrounding hills). The best advice I could offer is:

• Yeah it's hot, but... try going with 79-81F on auto A/C. It still blows cold, but the fan doesn't blow at gale force wind speeds, which seems to really suck juice.
    • Don't be too concerned with being "with" the pack. Most people treat the 35-55 MPH limits on those roads as suggestions... ya'll are still going to end up sitting at most of the same lights together, but you'll use less fuel if you scoot along at your own pace (personally, I've not been honked at or flipped off doing this)
    • On those downhills, try and go into an engine off coast, then fire the engine back up for the uphill portion.

12. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

The EPA numbers are for comparing one car to another. Basically that is it and for that purpose they are fine. Imagine the confusion with 50 different EPA numbers for every car. Even then you would need summer and winter numbers for most states.

13. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

I just saw this thread, and you are kidding, right?? dude, I live in Boone, not just hills, mountains. Everywhere. I'm half way through a 53 mpg tank right now. Last tank was 54.1 mpg. I don't get down to 40 even in the winter time.

Have you checked your tire pressure, and all the usual items that can suck mileage?

Just a heads up, but if your mileage is really that bad in Raleigh, somethings wrong.

:D
    RD

1 person likes this.
  14. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agre with you. I do drive on some larger hills going on my 40 trip to work. I flow with traffic(means i almost always have to get the bar into and almost full in the power area when i take off). i pretty much driv like everyone else on the road, besides i don't speed.

15. froSTed

froSTed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After the trip I can report a 55.5 MPG, however this is an average for the whole trip. I did allot of EV parking lot driving and some downhill. I am pleased that the Prius gave me such good mileage while the air was on during the record heat.

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    froSTED,

Glad to see you were able to get "normal" Prius mpg on your trip. You even beat the EPA estimates !! It is nice to be able to get this kind of mpg with the AC going full time.

This should show you that there is nothing wrong with your car and what the car is capable of doing. Your issue in Raleigh has to be with your driving pattern with short trips and lots of stop and go. Try going for longer trips around town, belt line, etc. and I would expect to see you get closer to what you were able to get on your long trip.

Dwight

17. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm in the same area (generally-speaking) as froSTed, so I am interested in hearing about his/her experiences in driving a Prius in this area. I'm in Cary though. I think it's possible the Town of Cary outlawed hills. ;-).

froSTed you should feel great that you are not contributing to pollution at a minimum. I'm (still) driving my '98 Saab 900, and around town I get a whopping 19mpg/city and 26mpg/hwy.

18. silverfog

silverfog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same thought. I live in in Raleigh and from time to time drive to Charleston, WV, which covers quite a few hills. Mileage goes up and down during a trip but never goes below 50 with average 70-75 mph.
    Trips do vary: Raleigh to Winston-Salem average 50. Winston-Salem to Raleigh 55.
    I cannot figure how anyone can get markedly lower except with very short trips or speeds over 90.