1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

North Palm Beach, FL to Washington D.C. on one tank!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bear68, May 18, 2009.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bear, where in Raleigh are you going to be? PM us a street address, if we can stop by, we will!

2. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Hymotion/AVRC has been reached!! 850 miles done and about 250 to go!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Hi All, hanging out here at Hymotion/AVRC shop in Raleigh, NC for a little while, waiting to see if we can get the Coda electric vehicle to come by for a photo op!!

Here is the modified schedule for the remainder of the trip

Planned depart from AVRC is 5:00pm...

6-8 Mon 7p-12a Henderson, NC recharge
    6-9 Tue 2a-7a South Hill, VA
    9a-2p McKenney, VA
    4p-9p Petersburg, VA
    6-10 Wed 11p-4a Richmond, VA possible media stop until 10a
    12p-5p Ruther Glen, VA
    7p-12a Fredericksburg, VA
    6-11 Thu 2a-7a Woodbridge, VA LAST RECHARGE STOP!!

10a head into DC!!!

4. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congrats on entering the last few days of your trip...and it looks like you have plenty of fuel remaining to cover it! Keep the updates and pics coming and best of luck the next couple days. It's been fun following along with your GPS map...something to pass the time at work!

Two questions:

* Are you driving the car home from D.C. and, if so, do you plan to take your time or get there as quickly as possible?

* Do you have a nice vaca planned when you get home or did this trip count as a vaca (haha! or not so haha!)?

5. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Hey Matt,

Answer one: Have ya ever seen a Prius do 120 mph? :rolleyes:
    I get to take I-95 unless my boss says use the same route, but I do get use gas and drive normally.

Answer two: Although this is somewhat of a vacation (driving 30 miles and stopping for a five hour nap then drive 30 miles??!!)

I do have to go to Jacksonville, FL for a training class of the 25th, then I am taking my wife to DISNEY WORLD!! Yay!! (Annual Pass Holders)

6. Bear68

Bear68 Member

The following photos are from AVRC, They did the install of our PHEV Hymotion system. The first is a ChargePoint station which can be installed by cities, malls, public parking lots, employee parking lots, etc. The cover over the standard 110 ac outlet locks automatically and can be opened with an electronic key tag. It is completely weather proof and can be installed to allow PHEV drivers to connect and recharge.

[​IMG]

This next image is Dick Dell, the owner of AVRC (Advanced Vehicle Research Centre) www.AVRC.com They are the company who installed the Hymotion system in our Green Machine!!

[​IMG]

7. Bear68

Bear68 Member

IT IS CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE A PERMIT TO DO OUR GREAT ARRIVAL AT THE NATIONAL MALL IN WASHINGTON DC AT 11:00AM ON THURSDAY THE 11TH!! HOLY COW!!! The location will be at the 4th street crossing in the mall with the Capitol Building in the background...

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if you're gonna be there till 5, we're gonna stop by! this morning got a little out of hand.

9. Bear68

Bear68 Member

AWwwwww.... I missed your post by just a little bit!! I chickened out and bugged at 4 to try to avoid some of the traffic:pout:..... Didn't get to see the post until sitting in a hotel in South Hills, VA. I was looking forwards to meeting you and your DH.... I am thinking I may have to take a real vacation type trip up this way just to visit some of the folks I have met along the way and the ones I didn't get a chance to meet.

BTW I jumped the gun a little... The application for the permit has been FILED.... I thought it had already been approved.... Hopefully the approval will go through... After all, this is one of those "everybody can feel good and happy" things!

10. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Wow!! has it been nearly two days since I posted?? Sorry, all.... the days are beginning to slide seamlessly together:p... Ok, here is the catchup report, I headed north (of course, I'm not THAT goofy yet...) and stopped off to visit with Phil L. (Pakman777) and his family in Colonial Heights Virginia. Talk about off coincidences, he and I both shoot with Canon EOS Digital Rebels, we both use Asus laptops, and we both had shoulder surgery within the last 14 moths for torn rotator cuffs... both on the left shoulder!! We had a great dinner and I got the Green Machine and my Spirits recharged! I gotta say, there is nothing in this world like good, honest, friendly people to just brighten your whole outlook on life.

Phil is a Major in the U.S. Army and I want to take a moment here to say this:

To Phil and all the members of our Armed Forces, Thank You for your service and Thank You for my Freedom. You truly have my highest respect for the path you have chosen in life.

Next stop was Richmond. Had a good night's rest and had originally though we would have a bit of a media conferance at the Short Pump Mall. Unfortunately, that one didn't quite work as we planned, so instead I wound up at the WTVR channel 6 station in Richmond, joined by Glenn Edmonds from AVRC (company who installed our Hymotion system) we did a TV interview and then off again. My time cushion was little (or maybe a lot:D) degraded by that time, so I have pushed on and am sitting in Fredericksburg where I am about to start looking for a recharge point. After getting the Green Machine ready for travel again, I will head on to Woodbridge, then DC in the morning!! The end is in sight!! 1088 miles so far and about 60 to go!! Two bars remaining on the gauge, although I have made quite a dent in that next to last bar, I am afraid....

My determination to successfully hit DC on one tank has now officially become obsession.

more to come,

Rick

1 person likes this.
  11. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Journey's End, Odyssey's Beginning.:welcome:

12. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    hey rick, saw you on one of the local wpb news stations last nite. :peace:ur like famous.
    john

13. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By the GPS map it looks like you rolled into DC today around 7am...a big congratulations to you and Earl Stewart Toyota for completing the haul.

When you get back to "real life" I'd be interested to see some of the local TV reports/newspaper articles if you can compile them from the web in this thread.

Great job...enjoy DC...and have a good trip back to FL!

14. Pakman777

Pakman777 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bear:
    Congratulations on the successful completion of your journey on behalf of Earl Stewart Toyota! Thanks for letting us be a part of it. You are the MAN!:rockon:

15. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Hi All, Got to DC this morning and wandered a bit awaiting the 11am media conferance we had planned for. Our location was for the concrete area right at the west edge of the reflecting pool in front of the Capitol building. I spotted signs on the parking meters saying "Hybrid on the Hill" event and thought "Wow! They went all out!!" Turns out there was ANOTHER event going, of which we had no knowledge (Honest!) By 10 am there were 20 large trucks, garbaeg trucks, buses, UPS trucks, etc., ALL Hybrids!! Mr. Stewart and Margie Yansura, his publicist, arrived and got the 2010 chase Prius lined up with the Capitol building in the background giving us the Premeir spot of the entire event!! Then they called me and I drove right up. I was greeted by Congressman Tom Rooney, Senator Bill Nelson wanted to be there but schedules conflicted, so he sent us a fantastic letter of support, I showed Mr. Rooney around the car amd gave a him a short ride (30 whole yards, gotta love photo ops) then he removed the seal. Lots of pics later, and a couple of TV interviews and tons of interest by folks wandering by and we headed for a local gas station.

Results: 9.3 gallons of gas to fill the tank
    1145 miles driven

123.1 miles per gallon

I will post shots of the MFD screen and the fuel pump, but I don't have shots of the car on Capitol hill of my own. I do have pics from a pro photog who was there, but I need to get the proper permission to post them here. Give me a day or two and they will be up. Mr. Stewart bought lunch at the Capital Grill, (AWESOME place) and then I wandered a little and got some touristy shots of my own. I even wandered the Natural History Museum for ahour or two but was finally so whipped, I decided it was time to go home.

I miss my wife, my daughter and my animals...

It has been an incredible amount of fun and I thank everyone for all the help and well wishes. Of course, now somebody else has do a longer trip with higher mileage!! I will also compile a list of links fro all the media coverage... Please bear in mind, not all of the info is completely accurate. I tried hard to make sure they all had good solid info, but sometimes they must have written stuff down wrong...

16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ...and the average speed?

17. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    HAHAHA! Funny to check your GPS map today when I got to work and see you from DC to South Carolina in about 7 hours driving 65-70 mph! Somebody has seen enough of the road and wants to get home!

Great job bro...safe travels!

18. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Who Me???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Weeeelllllllll...... my family misses me and I miss them....:D Headed south at avg spd of 65-70 mph and avg 51.5 mpg. BTW avg speed from NPB FL to DC was about 35-40 with a few areas going up to 50-55 due to traffic and road conditions... Also, our 2010 Prius chase vehicle which drove straight up I-95 to DC at 55mph got 60mpg!!! On the highway all the way!!

19. Pakman777

Pakman777 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rick:

Glad to hear you are finally headed home! Have a safe trip, and hope to stop by and see you soon down in North Palm Beach this Summer.

Congratulations once again.

Phil

20. sharkdaddy

sharkdaddy New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rick you are famous! You must have been on five different stations during the trip and you were featured on web sites all over the world. Great job :)