1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Northern California Dealer Experience & Pricing

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Premier Mobile, Mar 29, 2005.

1. riabreed011

riabreed011 Junior Member

Last week I found and bought on the same day a package #4 at Toyota of San Francisco for about $200 under MSRP, plus a good break on an extra alarm system I had added on. Russ the sales manager was outstanding.

I had been lurking this site for about a week and went in feeling very knowledgable - my thanks to all of you!!

The one thread I hadn't adequately followed was the OEM/non-OEM tire debate. If I'd read that thoroughly I wld have negotiated for a better tires (or tried to...). 300 miles after purchase I bought Goodyear Comfortreds, and am much happier with the handling on the gusty Bay Bridge and in the rain.

For now, I am: 1 [more] deliriously happy new owner:
    1 prius, 1 tank of gas, 49.85 mpg mixed hilly city freeway miles![font=Tahoma:40e1479afc]

2. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Adding my experience to this thread. I called around to many dealers in the bay area, Stockton, and Sacramento, including the below-MSRP dealers mentioned here, looking for a red package #4. (I live in Southern California, where Toyota in its infinite wisdom decided to never send a package #4.) I decided to go for the first one I found at or below MSRP. I ended up buying it at Piercey Toyota in San Jose, at MSRP. It all went ok, but it probably helped that I knew exactly what I wanted and exactly what to pay for it, so they minimized the BS. I did get the guy trying to sell me more stuff, e.g. LoJack, service warranties, etc. No thank you. It all went smoothly, and I drove off with my new Prius an hour after they had picked me up at the airport.

I drove back down the coast taking the 17-mile scenic drive and US 1. Beautiful day, beautiful drive. Of course, I made it all the way back on that first tank of gas, averaging around 48 mpg. Pretty cool.

3. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(riabreed011\";p=\"84449)</div>
    I'm having a hard time keeping track of all these kind hearted dealers selling at or below sticker.

It gets really confusing when the "sticker" may or may not include a bunch of high profit, aftermarket add-ons. An added alarm? Unless it was the Toyota glass breakage alarrm, you really didn't need another alarm. The Prius is practically unstealable - except by hauling it away on a flat bed truck.

Regardless, here's a couple points as a welcome gesture to a deliriously happy new owner, from a cynical old cat.

4. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham\";p=\"88101)</div>
    I used and recommend Consumer Reports Car Price Service. For $12, you get detailed information on all the options with both wholesale and retail costs. Armed with that, I knew exactly what I wanted and what to pay for it.

Also the service is good for a month, during which time you can get a report for the same model as often as you like. While I was looking, the Prius price went up $100.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madler\";p=\"88105)</div>
    I have often used the free pricing information from www.kbb.com and www.edmunds.com . Both give you the MSRP as well the dealer cost, or invoice price, for the car, options and accessories. What do you get for $12 from Consumer Reports that you do not get free from those sources?

6. outoftown

outoftown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As someone who has bought 3 Prius from 3 different dealers, I believe in as much research as possible. Although Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book have good information, consumers reports is without a doubt, the most unbiased, most factful source of information on buying new or used cars, with advice on how to deal with dealers, safety and other topics rarely covered by the usual pricing sites. A buying tip is to walk in with the CR April (car) issue rolled up in back pocket, the sales staff will know they can't bs you. You can also access autobytel.com for car information. I actually like researching NHTSA.gov for the safety stuff (which kbb and edmunds do not cover and CR summarizes) For example, see a 2004 Prius crash test results and photos at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2971.html

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(outoftown\";p=\"88115)</div>
    I am a long time subscriber of the magazine. I have just never used their new car pricing service. Most of the information that you cite above I have read in the hard copies. What are the extras that the pricing reports provide above and beyond what I can read in the magazine itself or that I can look up on the Kelly Blue Book and Edmund's sites?

8. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"88108)</div>
    Well, for one thing, trust. No "Toyota Nationwide Sales Drive" advertisement on the right. No local dealer advertisements triggered by the zip code I entered. Both kbb and edmunds make it very obvious that I'm not paying their bills, the car companies and dealers are.

Consumer Reports is pretty cheap trust at $12, considering I'm about to plunk down many thousands of dollars.

As an example, it does not appear that kbb or edmunds provide data on dealer holdbacks or incentives as CR does. There's other useful information in the report as well such as negotiating advice and data collected by CR on the model. It's definitely worth the $12 in my mind.

9. tactix

tactix New Member

Update in Pricing

Here's my research:

MSRP:
    Toy 101
    Toy of Palo Alto
    Hayward Toy
    Fremont Toy
    Stevens Creek Toy
    Piercey Toy
    Capitol Toy
    Tracy Toy
    Putnam Toy
    Dublin Toy
    San Francisco Toy

($-300) (internet pricing)
    City Toy
    Melody Toy

10. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: Tracy Toyota Expereince June 2005

Hi had a good experience dealing with Tracy Toyota.

There were under MSRP on my Prius w/o any haggling. I worked with David Reiter (Sales Manager) and Gabriel. Both were straight forward and helpful. No extra dealer markup's or add on's were on my paperwork. They delivered the car also.

I'd highly recommend them for a no hassle deal. Inventory was tight when I bought mine- so timing (or patience) is everything. I got lucky and only waited one week for the car I wanted, but I was also flexible on the color. :mrgreen:

11. bparrish

bparrish Junior Member

Just a quick plug, though, remember to be aware that you can get the Toyota extended warranties (and maintenance contracts) on this car via the link on this website, and I doubt anyone will beat the price. This seems to surprise a lot of people, and I believe the board gets a small cut of each warranty sold, which supports a really great resource.

I had a finance manager swear up and down that $1400 was "his cost" on the 7yr/100000 Platinum that is sold via this board for $985. I've heard for people getting 'taken' for over $2000 for these as well.

Everytime I hear of a person interested in one of these cars, I tell them about this website and mention they should check the service contract prices here before going into negotiations.

See http://priuschat.com/forums/discounted-toy...cts-vt3130.html

12. dawall

dawall New Member

Re: Tracy Toyota Expereince June 2005

Just stopped by Tracy Toyota today to PU oil filter for Oil change and noticed that they had a used 2005 Salsa Red Pri (i think pkg 6) on their lot. Must have been a tradein

Dan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(925PriusGuy\";p=\"97298)</div>