1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Northern California PG&E Rates Changed on August 1

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by CaliforniaBear, Aug 28, 2014.

1. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is for E-1 and E-6, others are probably similar.

Tier 1 and Tier 2 rates went up, Tier 3 and Tier 4 rates went down. This may be good for your PiP if you don't have solar, definitely not good if you have solar.

Baseline (Tier 1 amounts) went down which is not good for anyone as it pushes you up the tiers faster.

You can get all the new rates here Pacific Gas & Electric - Tariffs
    And the baseline for your area here Understanding Baseline Quantities

This rate change during the billing period sure made a mess of my spreadsheet and about a 10% increase in my costs. :(

2. Barbara R

Barbara R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for mentioning this. It got me off my butt to call PG&E to change our plan to a time-of-use plan that should save us some money, regardless of what the rates are.

3. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With our solar panels and the PiP I'm finding that E-6 is only a marginal savings over E-1. Without solar panels it definitely depends on your usage pattern. With our heavy A/C usage in the summer (Sacramento area) E-6 would not have been a good thing without the solar panels that make a lot of their energy during peak rate times.

4. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With the new E-1 rates, my average price per kWh dropped from $0.189 to $0.184. This is because my monthly use gets up to mid/upper Tier 3 and the savings there offset the increase in Tiers 1 and 2.