1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NOS for Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ozarkretiree, Sep 9, 2011.

1. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That was a hilarious watch. I didn't catch it all but after they got out of the cars and were discussing the NOS it was funny: "It kicks in above 125km/hr" but "it could barely make it up to 125km/hr!" and sadly "you can only use it once." And they still gave that Prius praise as a great drive.

- D

1 person likes this.
  3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What happened to the video? The link isn't working for me.

I had an idea a few years back that has just came back. I think it's a little more possible now. You rip the rear end out of a Lexus rx or a gs. Then you tie in a hybrid battery with a custom throttle. It would probably run better in maintenance mode. (I would think the car would flip out less if the rear end does slip.)

5. minispeed

minispeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think any major power added to the prius would just be lost through the ridiculous traction control system. I know the top speed record prius even had problem with this since they had changed the size of the front wheels but not the back they were causing the traction control to cut engine power after any wheel slip.

I've noticed if I hit a bump while under mild acceleration the traction control goes off (yes I know I need new shocks).

I think the only true way to build a sleeper prius and keep the millage/reliability under control is to add a rear axle with an electric motor and a seperate battery pack, use that as the plug in hybrid for a set time of performance runs while you keep the main drive system in neutral. Put a kill switch on the wheel sensors to have the car think it's stationarry. Then when you just cruise you turn off the rear and drive around on a stock prius drive train up front. The only fuel economy hit you'll take is from the extra weight, and you'd have full toyota reliability for the daily drive.

You could add a drive train like in these electric porsches http://worldautoexotics.com/Pure-Electric-Sports-Cars.php

Have the same wild power and acceleration but with unlimited range for easy cruising. It would also allow you to have plug in hybrid capability for a long range of problably 60-100miles.

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is easy to disable traction control.

And if you had all this rear wheel power with the Prius in neutral you will over-rev and destroy the MG's not to mention have no regen braking and no ICE lubrication. This is a bad idea all around.

Also you will not get 60-100miles plug in range. Consider 220Wh/mi for cruising at a steady low speed and then consider you only want to use 40% pack capacity. So:

(60miles * 220Wh/mi) / (0.40) = 33KWh

300Wh is close to what everyone is seeing for EV mode with some stops/starts and gentle around town driving. So that makes it closer to 45KWh pack for 60 miles range.

7. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Make it so.

[​IMG]

8. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd just love to see the look on the face of the driver in the other car when you hit that nitrous button... Of course the look on your face when the pistons rammed through the engine block would be priceless too...

9. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm pretty sure that all adding nos would do is in the best case scenario the engine is just going to lower its own compression as much as possible, but my guess though is you're going to get a nice little red triangle light and you're not going to go anywhere. even if you did boost up the engine all your going to do is charge up the battery really really fast. you're not going to get higher voltage to your motor. the gearbox in this is also made to work with the output of the engine, this is why we never have gear wear issues. i have a feeling you'd send a sun gear somewhere it's not supposed to go.

10. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might as well do the 2JZ swap with the NOS.

[​IMG]

roflwaffle and dogfriend like this.