1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not a good thing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wrecit, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Chamber is dry but very discolored. What would cause this

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Water or oil seeping in. The engine is caked with spilled oil. There's a rubber gasket there, maybe change that out.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That looks like dried residue from rusty water. My guess is that water is or was leaking from the hood to wiper cowl area onto the engine.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That gentlemen was caused by a sparkplug that did not have a compression ring that vibrated loose. Have put about 7000 miles on this car since I bought it. Was able to remove the #4 plug with a socket and extension with my fingers no wrench needed. Was sure threads and therefore engine was shot. To my surprise sucked out the raw fuel and torqued the new plug in to 13ftlbs no problem. All new coils and ran 100 miles last night and it's running strong so fingers crossed

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is awesome, because the first thing I was going to ask was whether the sparkplug was loose.
    Had a slightly similar experience when a customer was having problems. He had recently replaced his plugs and tightened them by feel, even though he had insignificant experience of what 'feel' should be. All four came out practically by hand.