1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not a hybrid, but this is my truck!

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by RobsF-350, Nov 26, 2009.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice pictures, but is pulling a tractor pull sled really "work", or is it play?

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've seen bad accidents up north - Canadian Arctic - primarily due to drunk driving on winter roads. After a t-bone like that, I'm surprised your hip wasn't broken

Of the crashes I came across while up north, one was ejected through the driver window (He was intoxicated and failed to stop, not wearing a seatbelt, etc) and went through the other pickup windshield, DOA

The other looked like your crash, except the driver who was t-boned got a broken hip and broken tib/fib out of it, along with cervical injuries. They had to airlift him to Yellowknife

On a narrow winter road, at a portage hill, two pickups got into a classic offset crash. None had seatbelts on, one passenger ejected and DOA, driver of one pickup trapped +3 hours (It is way up north, help is a long way away) and died enroute, other passenger had serious trauma, and other driver had broken legs and hip

Not a pretty sight

Doesn't matter what you drive, when your time is up, your time is up

True enough. I personally will refuse to put "extras" on a vehicle, its a waste of money

In my book, my vehicles work for ME, I don't work for my vehicles. If I can't write it off, I don't even bother with it. My comfortable retirement is worth far more to me, than a bling vehicle: it's just a piece of metal

Of course, I look after the equipment. I will absolutely run dedicated winter tires, preferably studded, like these factory studded Nokian SUV tires

[​IMG]

And whatever "freebies" the dealer throws on, like the useless "skidplate" I got with my FJ

[​IMG]

but otherwise they remain bone stock. If I can't claim it on an expense report or depreciate it out, no way. Call me cheap, but that's the way I was raised

When you consider that I was debt-free in my mid 30's that speaks for itself

3. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nice and really good looking truck :)
    I have always wanted to own a truck, but figured they are too costly to own and maintain, and my lifestyle requirements couldn't justify one...it's a pity.

Btw, since your truck has only 46,000 miles, I don't see what's the big deal with those tires lasting for 3 years (assuming your truck does not do heavy duty on a regular basis. I also admit I know nothing about tire wear on trucks, whether it is heavier under similar use as cars).

Cheers,
    Mihir

4. acdii

acdii Active Member

Goes to show what you know, nothing about diesels. With the correct gearing and proper driving getting the mileage claimed is easy. Mine came with 4:11 gears, I got 13 MPG, I swapped them out for 3.73 gears and gained 4 MPG, normal daily driving, on the highway I went from 18 to 22 MPG with the swap. I also have mine tuned for max efficiency/power on demand, which most trucks don't have. With the proper gearing and tuning diesel trucks can get damned good MPG.

As for your other comment, sounds like a jealous rant to me, just because you don't like how other people enjoy things, doesn't mean you need to bash them. So who is the one who needs to grow up?

My truck is paid for, I use it when I need it, and costs me less a year in insurance, then if I were to rent a truck for the few times I use it. It is also one of my hobbies, I like to work on cars, and this is something I can do with my son.

5. DaveFDEMS

DaveFDEMS New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Current truck
    [​IMG]

One of the reasons I have my current truck. The black one on the trailer is my trail toy along with the ATV in the back. I have one more truck just for muddin as well
    [​IMG]

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh, I completely agree on keeping around a fully paid for vehicle with minimal insurance. Sounds like you couldn't write yours off, but at least you're not going into debt getting a new one for the sake of being "new"

As far as gearing, if the truck is expected to frequently pull near its rated capacity, you're better off keeping the 4.10's or lower. If the truck is mostly empty, with rare towing, than 3,73's or even 3.55's are a better choice

I knew a guy with a late 70s motorhome, I think it had a Dodge powertrain (440 V8, 727 automatic). The way it was geared, and keeping in mind it only had a 3 speed auto, performance was a dog and it was 4,200 rpm at 55 mph at 4 mpg

He put in one of those over/under bolt-ons, and not only dropped the tach to 2,800 RPM, he went up to 8 mpg. Probably didn't pay for the bolt-on, but the rig was much more comfortable to drive, and could handle long highway drives a lot easier

Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive Motorhome, RV's 3-Speed Automatic with Parking Brake.

About the only caution I have for diesel equipment sitting for long periods is the batteries, and the fuel. If it routinely sits longer than 2 weeks, I pull off the battery cables and hook up a VDC Battery Minder

BatteryMINDer® Plus 12 Volt 1.33 Amp Charger-Maintainer-Conditioner (Desulfator) :: All :: Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com

With my heavy equipment, the batteries lasted 2-3 times longer, and were always ready to crank

Diesel fuel can support biological colonies, that can plug the filters and degrade the fuel. Use caution in selecting a biocide, some do more harm than good

1 person likes this.
  7. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I drive a 4x4 everyday. it's my only vehicle and i use it for offroad purposes and in the winter climate.

I have all my tools and gear in the box. Granted it's street driven, I agree with you 100% that we all have individual freedoms to drive which we wish.

I've had a car, a 2WD truck, And now the 4x4. Never gain will i go back to a car. I like the ability to see traffic in front of those yugo's on the highway.:D

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope this thread doesn't go badly...

I myself have been accused of "stirring up trouble" or being a troll, so I'm very hesitant to level that accusation on anybody. I assume first everyone is being sincere in what they are communicating and why.

I don't have anything against a truck or people driving a truck, or being happy about owning and driving a truck.

But my suspicion radar turns on whenever someone comes into PRIUS CHAT wanting to show off their "Not a Hybrid, But This is My Truck!". Because inevitably you get a "Prius Purist" that say's something about the Gas Guzzling evil truck, then you get the "hurt" Truck owner, responding about how unfair it is to truck owners...then it just escalates.

Really I'm glad you like your truck, You have every right to enjoy it, and own it, but I've said it before, What makes you think Prius Chat is the best/proper venue for sharing your "joy" of truck ownership?

Maybe we need a new sub forum? We could call it " The Joy of Totally Non-Hybrid Big Vehicles that people want to share with Prius Owners" forum.

9. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think this section is full deserving on topics about "other cars" and does not have to be Toyota/Hybrid specific. I enjoy the ability to talk about politics and or other vehicles than the Prius.

10. RobsF-350

RobsF-350 Powerstroker!!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I created this thread a while ago, and it has yet to go bad. we had a string of problems in the recent months and i hope we have fixed what problems were there. Its been a while since i last visited this site, the holidays were hectic. Work has been hectic. I hope all is well with the members here as we at powerstroke.org are getting along good ourselves.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair enough, this is in "Other Cars". Plus we do have Freds House of Pancakes...so I realize that there is no specific it MUST be about Prius or Hybrids/Electrics mandate.

Carry on Gentlemen, I'll turn my "suspicion radar" on low.

12. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey, Rob!

Glad you still visit. :rockon:

Your avatar says you're in Utah. I'd bet i gets a little cold out/up there
    this time of year.

Cold weather, lets say below 40 degF, really diminishes a Prius' MPGs.

I've heard that diesels can also be affected by the cold, frequently in
    difficulty starting, idling until warmed up, sluggish throttle response, etc.

What are the diesel-specific steps/procedures needed for quick reliable
    starts in the cold and the very cold, lets say around 0 degF...

Do "tunes" help or hurt in cold weather?

FWIW, Prius MPGs are in the tank at that temp, I guess ~35, though I've
    not seen them.

13. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the rear axle ratio and are you runnig an automatic?

thanks,
    Dbcassidy

14. 2Txns

2Txns New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You plug them in at night and it makes for a quick warm up in the morning. There is an additive that can be added to the fuel for those who live in the very cold areas to keep fuel from gelling.

15. acdii

acdii Active Member

When I drove the PowerStroke daily, I didn't see much variation in MPG going between winter and summer diesel, less than a MPG, but the cost of the additives makes it more expensive in winter. With good glow plugs I have been able to start it in -4 cold without a block heater, but mostly it sat in the garage so cold starting was not a factor. Now the truck mostly sits in the garage, and I have to top off the batteries once in a while so they stay charged, but it is there when I need it, so if we get 2 feet of snow and we need to be somewhere, I know we can get there whether there are roads or not. I am taking it out on Thursday, I have a load of car parts to deliver on a car I am restoring, so it will be nice to get out with it, lots of fun to drive that big thing after driving a car for so long.

16. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice picture and nice truck
    no reason to asume that nobody is intressed.
    its not a hybrid... OK but you like it and its still is a nice truck.

17. Sublimemurder

Sublimemurder New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's badass man!