1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not all Costs and Benefits are Measured at the Pump- Traded 2012 Prius Level 5 for a Truck

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by 2ndAmendment, Sep 2, 2012.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually used Gen2 Prius less than 7 years old are starting to drop below the $10k price barrier, which is going to make them a great deal for people with much less income than new car buyers.

2. 2ndAmendment

2ndAmendment New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Okay. You have a point there. It is possible that pound for pound, they may offer more protection from other vehicles in the event of a crash, however, it would definitely depend on the scenario. There is a scenario that we can both agree on. Iwould totally agree, if the accident involves a roll over scenario. Weight distribution is smaller over a pick up roof, and the lbs/sq inch is definitely higher, which is why pick up occupants do not do well in a roll over. Any vehicle is probably better in a roll-over than a pickup. In addition, these vehicles are usually more top heavy than either a car or van or SUV, so they may roll-over easier than a Prius or other vehicle with a lower center of gravity. In these types of accidents, trucks are not safer.

Dodge Ram trucks do not have the highest safety ratings for trucks; Fords do. Check out this video of 40 mph Prius crash test from Toyota. Prius looks good;
    . Then, take a look at the 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 hitting a wall head on from the NHTSA
    . Either way, I hope we're never the dummy in the videos. Be safe.

3. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You should compare both vehicles with the same type of crash and not 100% head on vs moderate overlap. Here's the Prius with 100% head on just like the Ram. The Prius looked pretty good compared to the Ram with the same type of head on crash. Notice the Prius has collapsible steering column while the Ram does not?

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then look up the 2000 Chevy full size truck. Te video made me glad I sold mine.

5. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry but the post seems fake. Given the activity claims, no one would buy a Prius V with the low rider performance package for street use any more than they'd buy an Austin mini.

As for the low mileage pick up claims, lots of decent mileage vehicles from my 30 mpg AWD Escape Hybrid to new Ford Escapes to Subaru's.

And then the gratuitous political comments and sig give it away.

Post is bogus Red State forum rerun.

6. Gun owning Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My prius would have my NRA sticker if i could find the second that came with my member packet lol.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some vehicles impart a feeling of enjoyment when being driven. That is why people purchase those cars despite their lack of utility. Take a look at the cars on the road tomorrow and ask yourself how useful are they. Can they tow a boat? Can they carry 1000 bricks? Can they attack the Rubicon?

Some cars are simply a joy to drive or they perform extraordinarily. I bought a Corvette because it was fun to carve corners with and looked nice. I bought a Trans Am to dominate the local street races and post quick 1/4mile times. I bought a Prius to reduce my gas bill and achieve crazy mpg numbers. Are all of these choices bad because none of them could tow a boat???

Some things just cannot be measured in dollars and cents. I agree. Achievements like this are priceless. :)

[​IMG]