1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not charging

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Chengitis, May 31, 2018.

1. Chengitis

Chengitis New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    so my Prius prime is not charging at the scheduled charge time. Initially I had it set at 12:15am start time and it was working fine. Up until a few days ago when I added another charge time at 10pm, in the am when I leave for work the car is not charged. I even turned off the 12:15a charge but car still would not charge at the scheduled 10pm start.

Not sure what else I should do. Any input appreciated.

2. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    I don't really have any fix but I've given up on charge schedule.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe delete everything and start over, or disconnect the 12v for a few minutes.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Problems like that typically come about as a result of inadvertently specifying a day in the timer. In that case, you could end up waiting an entire week before the schedule get triggered.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There is no point in using the timer AT ALL unless your "off peak" night electricity rates are way lower.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Letting the battery rest (cold soak) prior to recharging promotes longevity.

bisco likes this.
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And where exactly did you learn that ? As it applies to the type of batteries in use here, that is.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota provided that information, way back when Prius PHV was revealed. It's a well established approach at this point.

benagi, jerrymildred and bwilson4web like this.
  9. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    this is what i do by using the timer. unless i know im leaving the house again or dare use public charging, i always charge at night after every thing cools down.

10. illumiN8i

illumiN8i Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Page 133 of the owners manual offers some tips on preventing hybrid battery capacity decline. See the red highlighted section below:

Capacity reduction of the hybrid battery (traction battery)
    • The capacity of the hybrid battery (traction battery) will decline gradually when the hybrid battery (traction battery) is in use. The rate at which it declines will differ in accordance with environmental conditions and the way in which the vehicle is used. Observing the following can help suppress battery capacity decline.
    • Avoid parking the vehicle in areas with a high temperature under direct sunlight when the hybrid battery (traction battery) is fully charged.
    • Avoid accelerating and decelerating frequently and suddenly when EV driving.
    • Avoid frequent driving near the top speed for EV driving. (P. 87)
    • Leave a low level of charge in the hybrid battery (traction battery) when leaving the vehicle undriven for a long period of time. After confirming that EV mode has switched to HV mode, turn the power switch off.
    • Use the charging timer function as much as possible in order to fully charge the hybrid battery (traction battery) immediately before starting off. (P. 147)
    Also, if the hybrid battery (traction battery) capacity reduces, the distance that can be driven in EV mode decreases. However, vehicle performance does not significantly become worse.

11. illumiN8i

illumiN8i Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Are the clock and calendar set correctly in the multi-information display? Does charging work properly when you press "Charge Now"? Does the green light flash when you connect the charging cable? Flashing indicates that it is waiting for the schedule to start charging.

12. Chengitis

Chengitis New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How do I set the calendar? Note I have a prime plus so no larger screen if that matters

13. Chengitis

Chengitis New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I tried setting timer to charge in 5mins but once that 5mins come up I check the next charge time is changes to Thursday by itself after I had set it to charge Sunday today

Also after I set the time when I check next charging event it says Wednesday instead of Sunday today.

14. Chengitis

Chengitis New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think I finally figured it out. I found out how to set the calendar. Somehow it was set to 6/23/2023 so I reset the calendar to 6/3/2018 and now the car is charging at the scheduled time I set it to

15. illumiN8i

illumiN8i Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm glad that worked! Yeah the calendar setting is kinda hidden under settings->Meter customize->calendar

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.