1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not getting the EV range I used to

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Matt1984, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Matt1984

Matt1984 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hello, I've read some of the other threads, including the extreme cold thread. I live in So Cal, where it doesn't get extremely cold. I've noticed reduced EV for several months (including before winter). Mainly on my daily commute, which is 29 miles.

I used to be able to set my cruise control to around 63 mph on my drive home. I would typically get around 27-28 miles before my battery would deplete and the ICE would kick in. Now I get around 20-21 miles before the same thing happens. I don't drive with any heat or A/C on, seat warmers are off, etc. It's just the radio and me.

I've had the car (2020 Prime) for over 2 years. I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations. Thanks.

2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Hanging brakes, tires or ???

weather, wind, etc can do it.

bisco likes this.
  3. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming that you have not made any changes that would affect the aerodynamics of the car or installed new tires, I would check the tire pressure, if you have not done that. The pressure can be low enough to decrease mileage but not trigger the warning light.

bisco and Rmay635703 like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is more likely mechanical, since you don't have any codes.

you can measure charge at a public station i believe, to see how much juice it's taking. that would eliminate any battery question.

throw it in neutral at 30mph and see how she glides

5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Unfortunate it's been several months; one of your MID options is a mpg/kwh with A/C usage table. You can see if there's any changes there. Have you replace the tires, checked the brakes for dragging; due to frozen caliper slide pins?

#5 BiomedO1, Mar 7, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    Matt1984 likes this.
  6. Matt1984

Matt1984 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, the tires were replaced a few months ago. I went from stock tires (I'm forgetting which ones but they are cheap-o's) to Michelin Defender T + H.

7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    There you go, that can account for loss in range

After about 6 months they should wear in a bit and some economy will return

Could also inflate to sidewall max and enjoy a sporty ride :0

Matt1984 and Salamander_King like this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, that must be it. Which OEM tire did you have? So far, Dunlop has been the best in terms of the mpg and EV range. But it is still worth checking the tire pressure to make sure that's not causing further loss of the EV range.

Matt1984 likes this.
  9. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Michelin Defenders are good tires, but not Low Rolling Resistant and a bit heavier than stock - I believe. Try pumping them up to 38 psi all the way around and check the alignment - see if your mileage will improves a bit.

Good Luck

Matt1984 likes this.
  10. Matt1984

Matt1984 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I can't remember which OEM tires I had. I do remember that they were worn and needed replacing around 30K miles. I'm blanking on which maker/model they were though.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thats okay, which ever they were, they were much better for range than defenders, but worse in every other way.
    that's how car makers trick the epa tests

Matt1984 likes this.
  12. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if the Defenders are the same as they were several years ago, but when I tried a set back in 2013 my 05 dropped 9 MPGs from the LRR tires I replaced. That was normal driving, and when I was on my best behavior the Defenders were still 6 MPG less.

13. SCdave

SCdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Michelin Defender T+H are very good tires. But they are not LRRs.l and your MPGs will be lower.

I had 2 sets of Defender T+H on my 2015 Prius (I know have 2029 Prius Prime) The improved handling wet and dry of th Michelins over the OEM Goodyear Assurance LRRs that came with the car new was night and day for me (would never Goodyear Assurance). I took a 2-3 mpg hit whilen I put Defenders on but the better handling was well worth it. I also changed my driving habits somewhat to compensate.

I know have the Dunlop Enasave LLRs OEM tires which came with my new Prius Prime XLE. They are okay but will get Micheline when it's time to replace Dunlops.

I usually inflate to 38/39 psi. I've tried higher but I'm comfortable with 38/39 psi. Get good wear and noise seems to not bother me with higher psi. You can experiment with higher psi to see if you like it or not. MPGs will improve marginally but not that much.

I'm a America's Tire fanboy. Buy all my tires there. They offer free air checks for anyone as a promo and not just for those who purchase. Go in monthly and have your air checked.

America's Tire will also Rotate your tires for free as a promo even if you have OEMs still on your newish Prius. They may also balance for free or charge you a small fee - depends on location. Just ask. For those that purchase there, they always rotate/balance for free.

So yes Defender T+H are excellent tires but you will take a hit in MPGs with this tire over LLRs.. Higher tire psi will help a bit. Very low psi will lower MPGs a lot and damage / maturely wear tires.

Also, your Prime is new so likely not a problem but am old 12v Battery may also cause a hit to MPGs. And of course a bad battery pack in the Traction Battery.

I'm in California also. Doesn't rian much but when it does, I was really happy to have rh Defenders in all 4s.

Good luck

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I replaced the OEM Toyo tires at about 28k with Michelins just before Thanksgiving. My range seems to have dropped to about 22 miles from 28 miles, but much of that may be attributable to New England winter weather.

Last week I had to make two round trips to the airport. The first was on a wet day with heavily salted (but cleared) roads following a snow storm. I was unable to make the trip entirely in EV mode and ran on gasoline for the last couple of miles. (The ambient temperature was about 30 degrees and the Prime was coming out of my garage where the temperature was about 50 degrees.)

A few days later, on dry roads and in slightly warmer weather (about 45 degrees), I made the same trip and had about 1-1/2 miles of range left.

I am planing to inflate the Michelins to a higher PSI and watch what happens as we get into Spring weather.