1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not happy with Toyota over seat belt chime

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by priuscritter, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. I'll take the beeps =)

2. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well friends, I took the Prius to another dealer after work today and got the speed sensitive seat belt chime disabled. $28. It's been interesting to read the responses here. Kudos to Gates Toyota of South Bend for actually acting like a service department and not the seat belt police.

Not happy with Kokomo Toyota for making me go through this. Ridiculous. And not happy with the Toyota Customer Service line for basically telling me that they wouldn't follow what the owner's manual says.

3. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The problem is that they screwed up when they replaced the comfortable, friendly, well known and understood standard shift selector with that toy joystick thingee up on the dash. Roughly every adult on the continent knows the normal shift selector by heart. I can work it in the dark, or backwards, or on someone elses car without even thinking about it. The little joystick, not so much.

A normal shifter stays where you put it, and pretty much can't shift by mistake. That d*%n little thing can be whacked by anything, and you might not know you were in reverse, or you might try to shift it by touch and have it wind up going backwards without knowing it.

The correct solution would be to eliminate that doofy little toy and put back a normal shifter. For whatever reason Toyota decided to keep it and add that &^!! little bell to "fix" the problem instead.

4. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    update:

my dealer (Kokomo) called me today to say they think they have a procedure for me to be able to disable the seat belt chime myself. I decided not to tell him that i already had it done at another dealer. He is faxing me the procedure. I will post it here. I am betting that it is for the gen 2 prius, but if it is for the gen 3 and just not in the manual, then we might have a way to do it without the dealer. it also involves the reverse beep-to-one fix, according to him. I should get the fax tomorrow when i get to work.

5. docsnavely

docsnavely Insert Custom Title Here

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    I read this and cringe. As a paramedic and witness to many a horrific death, I can tell you that pulling out of your driveway is a prudent time to be wearing your seatbelt. Statistics don't lie when they say that the majority of auto incidents happen closest to people's homes.

With that being said, I feel your frustration and as it is your multi-thousand dollar purchase, you are entitled to change whatever the hell you want to change.

My only advice would be to find another dealer like everyone told me to do when mine was being adamant about not being able to change the reverse beep.

6. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will say that my reading of the Owner's Manual is that the seat belt beep "can" be customized, not that Toyota will do it for you. Pages 587 and 592. If I didn't read some other section of the Owner's Manual that applies, I'd appreciate a page number so that I can read it.

That being said, I think they could have handled your issue a bit better.

I will be interested in whatever information you get from the dealer on how to change the beeps, hopefully without having to buy a ScanGuage. Thanks for the work on this.

Mike

7. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've also used the Scangauge method to disable the seat belt chime.

Has anyone else noticed that this is only disabled for low speeds up to about 15 mph?

8. Justin Bird

Justin Bird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I managed to turn off the seat belt beep in my 2012 Prius by disconnecting the seatbelt sensor connector under the seat. It's the little white one to the side of the big green one underneath the seat. IMG_20200308_152939.jpg

9. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can not believe no one mentioned Carista. The price you paid to do that, you could have been able to do so much more with this obd2 reader. Also I think Dr. Prius app app does it too.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You can't fault the people who paid the dealer in this thread. Carista wasn't founded until February 2013. I guess if they were clairvoyant, they could have just waited a couple of years and saved some cash.

11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And then came prius tweak app, which is free. Not sure why people still buy the larista app dong, over priced and other apps are just as capable.

AzusaPrius likes this.