1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not in favor of full self driving

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Lee Jay, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Let me explain my rationale for not being in favor of full self driving cars. To do so, I'll use a comparison to commercial airliner autopilot systems which, in some versions and at some airports can execute virtually a full flight on their own and which have been available for decades.

There are several differences between an airplane autopilot and a car FSD system. The two biggest ones are operator training and difficulty of implementation.

Commercial pilots are trained to know that putting the plane on autopilot isn't a reason to stop paying attention. Quite the opposite, actually. The purpose of the autopilot is to reduce pilot fatigue and workload so they can pay MORE attention to situational awareness - weather, communications, navigation, vehicle functions, and so forth. Regular people have been shown in cars with self-driving capabilities to use those capabilities to check their phones, play games, take naps or do other stupid things. Unless everyone getting an FSD car gets the same type of training that commercial pilots get, their lack of training and resulting lack of attention creates a dangerous situation where none needs exist.

Difficulty. Implementing FSD in a car is many times (perhaps many thousands of times) harder than implementing autopilot in an airplane. Airplane autopilots have no need to watch out for road construction, jay-walking pedestrians, icy roads (except on landing), fog, kids chasing balls across the street, animals in the road, the truck in front of you blowing a tire, and so on. They are also kept 1000 feet apart vertically and around 2 miles apart horizontally in terminal areas if they are on the same route. They follow pre-programmed routes or fly to way-points. The pilot is monitoring, as is ATC, and the pilot can take over in a moment if something off-nominal happens. It's just a way easier problem to solve.

You combine all the off-nominal situations that car drivers have to manage with the total lack of driver training on how to monitor a car on autopilot, and I think that's a lousy situation.

I'm all in favor of driving assist features of all sorts, but not ones that allow the car to operate without the driver paying attention, at least until drivers realize or are trained that they HAVE TO pay full attention even when the car is driving, just like pilots do when a plane is on autopilot. The disclaimers written into the instructions are not sufficient for average people. They just ignore them or don't read them in the first place.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    agreed ... in fact, we can agree until the cows come .... home but our understanding flies in the face of the statistics - and you know how we love our statistics;
    NHTSA’s full final investigation into Tesla’s Autopilot shows 40% crash rate reduction – TechCrunch

And if that's not wacky enough, those are the statistics from over 3½ years ago - when Tesla autopilot was way less effective. Each successive iteration makes drivers lesson & less likely to earn their Darwin Award - no matter how hard they try, and some of them do try hard.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm sure you're aware that autopilot as it exists now is a driver assist feature, not a true full self driving system.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think you can have full self driving until all cars have it, and don't allow human interference.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^
    That.
    I've always said that L5 will either be part of a utopic or dystopic future.....depending on whether or not they leave the steering wheel.

[​IMG]

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    yeah, there are car-sized boulders that occasionally come tumbling down a roadside cliff - and what designer is going to engineer for your car sensors looking up. You never know when some kid is going to toss a paint balloon off that overpass. Obviously from the YouTube videos - some people aren't watching for the unlikely. No matter how smart a safety system, there will always be a scenario or some whack-job that is deliberately trying to take you out and you may have no place to go. Maybe that's where the ejector seat /jet pack comes in.

Like Bob reminds us, perfect is the enemy of good enough (for now)

#7 hill, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, that's what I found out back in 2015 with Subaru EyeSight and last year with the much more capable OpenPilot. I found I now have more time to devote to the myriad of other driving responsibilities and after a long day's drive, the reduction in mental tiredness/stress is HUGE.

Another likely "bizarro" scenario is large tree falls.

I still think L5 needs 100% communications/connectivity with ALL other vehicles and transportation infrastructure (traffic lights, construction, detours, law enforcement deviations, etc) so the car based solutions can concentrate more on the last mile and the "what ifs". I'm not sure but I think that is what air transportation does. The aircraft itself doesn't do all the heavy lifting.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just don't want human drivers controlling other vehicles while i'm asleep at the (whatever)