1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NOT Normal P Lock Malfunction - ONLY Happens Over 80 Degrees. Never When Cooler

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rock_Star, May 25, 2024.

1. Rock_Star

Rock_Star Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes, pin to ground and both connectors disconnected.

I think I get what you're saying but maybe not. The wiring chart on page 262 shows H17-9 going directly to T4-7 and I didn't see it doing anything else (but I could have missed it.) In that case, your theory makes sense. But the H17-10 seems to connect to a lot of different things, so it seems plausible that there's supposed to be a high resistance because of some device in that circuit. And since it's low, it seems that indicated that the current would be bleeding off to ground, hence the low resistance and the P lock error. That's just my shade tree mechanic logic. Maybe it's not true. Whatever the reason, I assume Toyota knows what it should be.

I'll redo those tests today and see if I get the same results.

2. Rock_Star

Rock_Star Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    OK thanks maybe I'll be able to find it. I know roughly where it should be and I see the shape of it on page 384.

I just saw the drawing of a junction connector. It's feasible that one of the "short terminals" is the problem. Maybe I can open up the connector and see them and tell if any are bad.

3. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If PPOS is not just point A to point C then all of those other connectors must be released before the "check for short" will be a valid test. Because other paths to ground may exist normally.

I think that none of the other connectors must be released for the "check for open" path. Because even though there are other connections, none of those result in an alternate current path through the ohmmeter. The path between A and C may be carried on more than one wire in the cables, but as long as there exists at least one complete path between them the test will pass and the cable should work.

If you still get different resistances to ground from A and C then put the positive lead on ground and the negative on the pin and measure again. Because that is strange and changing the polarity may tell us something.

Also measure resistance A to C. If the short to ground accompanies a break between A and C then different resistances to ground from those pins is possible. Imagine a circuit which is A-B1-R1-B2-C and B1-R2-GND and B2-R3-GND. (This is a triangle B1-R1-B2-R3-GND-R2-B2 with paths A-B1, B2-C coming off two of the vertices.) If R1 is zero then you should be measuring the resistance to ground of R2 and R3 in parallel from A or C, but if R1 is large or infinite (open) the A-GND and C-GND can have different values corresponding to R2 and R3, respectively for infinite (open) R1.

4. Rock_Star

Rock_Star Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I couldn't find the J14 connector. It must be behind the AC vent box and I didn't want to take that all apart.

I did the
    PCON (H17–9) or PCON (T4–7) – Body ground
    PPOS (H17–10) or PPOS (T4–8) – Body ground
    tests again and had zero ohms on all of them. (Supposed to be 10kOhms or higher.)

I used a few different ground points just to be sure and it all came out the same as before. BUT I just learned that I've been misreading my meter. It read "OL" which I was interpreting as zero. The meter's manual says that means "the input is too large for the selected range." The meter reads MegaOhms so hard to believe that the resistance is beyond that. Maybe that's a sign of something.

Then I plugged in one connector and did the test on the other one's pins, and vice versa. That changed things.Those actually did show 0.00 ohms. But since the connector is plugged in, that's against the diagnostic instructions. Maybe it means something. Also when doing that there were pulses of resistance apparently. I think it would go blank and then back to 0.00.

So if those OL readings mean mega mega resistance, that's over the 10k it calls for so maybe it's not the cables after all.

5. Rock_Star

Rock_Star Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    After the above testing...Today was 88 degrees and 90% humidity. I ran the car in the driveway with the AC cranked, planning to drive and see if I got the P lock error. After sitting there 5 minutes in the cold air and not even putting the car in gear, the P lock error came.

Maybe it's a clue that the car doesn't even have to be in gear or driving to get the error?

That still keeps me thinking that the problem is on the engine side of the firewall. It didn't happen instantly, so perhaps five minutes of engine heat is all that was needed to put it into error mode. But on the flip side, when it was 78 degrees I ran the 140 degree hair dryer on all of the wires and components I could get to and didn't get the error, so maybe not. Or maybe I just didn't get the hot air in the right place for long enough.

I inspected all the wires along the firewall again and didn't see any damaged ones. There's plenty of places where the squirrels have eaten the insulation off the hood and firewall, but I didn't see or feel any damaged wires. Still could be though.

The P3102 diagnostic says these are the trouble areas:
    Wire harness or connector
    Transmission control ECU
    HV control ECU
    Power source control ECU

Power source control ECU seems to be above the steering wheel on the firewall. Potentially getting hot from the missing firewall insulation?
    HV control ECU is to the right of the glovebox close to the body. Potential radiant heat from outside getting to it?
    I did run the hair dryer on/near them for a couple of minutes when it was cooler and didn't get the P lock error so maybe not.

I'm running out of ideas for what it could be. Maybe I just need to start replacing ECUs.