1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

not original battery- can I still get core refund?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bmparent, Jun 2, 2019.

1. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I had my original gen. 2 HV battery replaced with a refurb/rebuilt/whatever cheap-o battery and now that that's died, I'm going to the dealer to buy a new one. Will they take the battery that I've got now as the core, even thought it's not the original that came with a care? It's got a Toyota sticker on it, although the part number is not exactly the same as the OEM battery. I sure hope I can get my 1,350.00!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only part of the core that they want back is the stack of modules with plastic end caps and four metal bars to hold it together... People who rebuild packs will sometimes modify the cover of the pack with paint and their own logo, but that's not what you'll be returning. There's almost zero difference in that actual core you're returning versus an original OEM pack unless your core is a newpriusbattery.com pack, which haven't been around long enough to go bad yet. In pic below, the big block of modules on the left is what they want back. Everything else you keep.

Price_For_New_Modules.jpg

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    PS: buying new bus bars and nuts is wise. Also if corrosion is really bad replacing voltage sensing wiring harness is wise to do while you're in there... You can get good brand new harnesses on Ebay for less than $100... Best quality and price on bus bars comes from these folks: New CNC Machined Hybrid Battery Bus Bars - Reflex Concepts LLC and best quality and price on nuts I've found is from these folks: NSPIN5X12YLW - Spin Nut Yellow Zinc [NSPIN5X12YLW] - $0.35 : Bel-Metric, Metric Hardware, Metric Fasteners, Metric Bolts, Metric Nuts & Time-Sert Thread Repair

To prevent corrosion in the future you can use di-electric grease but the stuff is a mess to work with and needs to be used as sparingly as possible. It's not fun to work on greased up packs, but if you're going with brand new odds of working on it sooner that corrosion grows are unlikely.

4. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Priuscamper, that's good to know. About the bus bars and nuts, if I'm buying a new battery from the dealer, there's no reason I would have to buy those right, aren't those part and parcel of the new battery, on the inside?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota dealers will not take back anything but an oem battery with all the oem parts, including case.
    if it looks oem, and everything there, they're not bright enough to know better.

Data Daedalus likes this.