1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not quite a Prius owner yet!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ralleia, Apr 2, 2012.

1. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The forum wouldn't let me register unless I gave a Prius model. Well, this morning I test-drove a Prius V, so that's what I put down! :D

I've been stalking a Prius since fall 2011, flirted with the idea of a CNG Honda Civic, but am firmly back to hunting a Prius again.

Fortunately, my husband has given so much grief to one of his co-workers over that guy's Prius that I don't have to worry about any competition over who will drive it. Hubby would never live it down if he did!

I'm half-inclined to go back to the dealership and just buy the Prius V, but the only thing holding me back is the difference in fuel economy between the standard Prius and the V. The C is right out because I have a family to carry.

Happy to be here!
    -Kris

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    To be honest, ralleia - I went with the Prius v because I liked the room and the back window. I hate the window for the standard Prius, especially that damn bar in the middle of the rear view. And to be honest, the 8 mpg drop, while it means getting 8 more miles out of it, I don't think it is going to be a 'major' difference per say as that accounts more for the weight and size of the car holding it back which would be your 'mom' car for the family. You might also get more utility out of it compared to the standard and make your husband grind his teeth when he does have to use it cause you can't fit some things in a normal sedan that you could with that one. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard! Good luck with the choice... either one will do just fine I think.

4. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had the same concerns. I, too, wanted the maximum mpg and hated to give it back. However, we bought the V and have not regretted it for a single moment! What a wonderful vehicle this is! Not to mention I got away from all of the things I disliked about the hatchback: the bridge console, the hvac controls/display and the back window. The V is just a whole lot more car and one I consider, a bargain for the money being charged. I can't recommend it enough!

1 person likes this.
  5. RickThom1

RickThom1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As for me, I took a look at the v but decided I did not want to give up the 8 miles per gallon. As far as the bar in the rear view mirror goes, it took about a day to get use to it, and I don't pay any attention to it anymore. I am not a tall person (5'9") and the console doesn't bother me at all. My wife and I have plenty of room in the front seats. I can put golf clubs in the back without letting either back seat down, and I have plenty of room for storage. So, I guess it really depends on what you want--as for me, I didn't want to sacrifice gas mileage for more room. I have no regrets about my decision, just as the other post above me has no regrets about their decision. Good luck, and I am sure you will be pleased with either vehicle you may choose!

1 person likes this.
  6. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tomorrow, DH and I are going to visit a dealership that has the Prius, the Prius V, AND the hybrid Camry in stock. In 80 minutes or less I hope that we can test and resolve all remaining questions about weight versus horsepower, fuel efficiency, cargo capacity, and visual obstructions.

At 5' 4" I will be the primary driver of whatever hybrid we end up with (since DH has vowed never to be caught dead driving one!--famous last words? :rolleyes:). Cargo capacity is a middle-of-the road concern. No daily haulage, but I've been known to go hog-wild at the hardware store or the plant nursery. I think the tallest plant I've carried in the '09 RAV4 so far was a 5' evergreen + pot strapped into the front passenger seat!

It will be so nice to be past this premeditation and uncertainty stage into the beginnings of a new 200,000 mile relationship.

As an aside, that silly (IDIOT!) salesman (who knew less than I did about the Prius' that he wanted to sell me) actually assumed that I was trading in my '09 RAV4.

I'm gonna have to try to borrow my daughter's Flip camera to record his expression when he realizes our trade-in is a '94 Chrysler LHS with 185,000 miles on it.

PRICELESS. :popcorn:

1 person likes this.
  7. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As the other posted put, up to you. I will say when you look at the Prius and the Prius v, you will find the Prius v probably similar to your RAV4 seating wise, More of a van/truck/SUV seat in comparison to the sedan style seat.

The standard will be good for range, as the mile per gallon can be eeked out more and the lower drag and weight will allow longer range.

1 person likes this.
  8. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm 6'1" and the bar is not an issue for me. The only time it blocks anything is when you are at a stoplight and there is a car right behind you, and then it is at headlight level so it is actually nice to not have the other care headlights shining in your rear view mirror.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius v does have a slightly higher seating position (about an inch) if that matters and it's more comfortable for long hauls with a longer wheelbase (though I've done plenty of long trips with my standard Prius Liftback and it's just as good).

10. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A 94 LHS with 185K? And it still runs? I hope your not banking on getting much for a trade in. I would throw it on craigslist you will probably make out better.

11. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The engine is still quite sound--she's been well-maintained.

The plastic parts on the body look like heck and she's got an electrical gremlin right now.

I was only thinking about $200 on the trade-in, but I suppose we could try to fix the electrical and put in on Craigslist.

12. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it runs good you could probably put it on craigslist and get $500 for it as is. With 185k you shouldn't have to worry about lemon laws, as long as it passes inspection you should be fine.

1 person likes this.
  13. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We test drove theCamry Hybrid too. It is a fine car, we love our '97 Camry with 188K miles, but after driving the Prius IV (just ordered it today) the Camry was BORING to look at. The dash is alot less techy which might be a plus for many. My DW thought so before she got in it and she liked the PRius look too!

14. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Hybrid Camry we took was EXTREMELY techy, being an XLE with the premium NAV package.

The premium NAV package with the 7.0 inch screen gets its GPS from different source than the regular package (with 6.1 inch screen). The GPS loads faster on the premium package and has a slick-looking gray background and sharp resolution on the map rather than sickly yellow background and pixelated look of the regular package.

The premium package also accesses the weather and traffic data via XM satellite rather than through your smart phone, which means that the data won't be charged to your phone. I think this is true of most of the data on the premium package as well.

The human-machine interface on the premium package is also much slicker-looking.

I couldn't help it. I fell in LOVE with all the technology. :nod:

Too bad the low-tech low-voltage battery can't keep a charge on the thing. The first two days we've "owned" it, it has spent most of its time either inoperative or in the service department. :angry:

15. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wait, your new Camry has been in the Service Department? Wow... I wonder what they were doing with it to give you so much problems.

16. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four