1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

not so good door ding repair -- need advice!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zeeman, Jun 3, 2009.

1. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After I picked up my car for door ding repair from a auto body shop I decided to remove the door panel is so that i can inspect how well they fixed the door dent.

it turns out they did shitty job
    the dent is not ironed out completely, you can see from inside that the door skin/sheet metal is still pushed in and there are 4 welding marks.

i presume those weld marks that are visible from the inside because they welded the rod from outside the door panel in order to pull the dent out.
    i am pretty sure that this is what they have done, as i have seen this action performed once by an auto body shop.
    I sure did not make those marks and i am the original owner.

i am guessing that this spot welding is not a good thing to do on prius due to galvanization process of sheet metal.
    as far as I know the spot welding weakens the metal and it attracts the moisture/rust.

on top of that the body shop did not even bother putting protective coat inside the door skin even though they did pull the inside door panel out, as evident by a missing clip where little speaker goes and moisture barrier plastic sheet. around the tab where a speaker clip should go they put some black putty insted.

as far as i know, prius should be protected with galvanization process, so welding cannot be a good thing?!

does anyone know what is the proper way to repair door ding without
    messing up the galvanization protection?

any idea what i should do now; should i go to the Toyota dealer
    and have them look it it, before i go to auto body repair shop?

here are some pictures of the door from the inside

[​IMG]

two brown dots towards left are weld spots and brown and white spot towards right are also weld spots

[​IMG]
    another angle
    [​IMG]
    yet another angle

any input is appreciated

thanks!

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Crap job, contact your insurance company about the crap repair. There must be half a pound of filler in your door which will in time crack and fall out.

Where is the intrusion bar?

It is always worth getting a recommendation from a trusted friend before getting a repair. What I did was ask a mate who is a spare parts seller for a Toyota dealer which crash repairer uses the most genuine Toyota parts. The guy he sent me to, Des Higgins Motor Bodies does not use any fillers, he metal finishes everything and uses only genuine parts. The down side is, there is a 2 month waiting list. I'm booked in for 15th June for an accident that happened before easter.

I only have a little dent in my door.

Attached Files:

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Did you lean against it? :madgrin: :D

4. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

the intrusion bar is above the damage. this is lower part of the body

darn
    i better take the car to toyota dealer for a second opinion

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch! Bad dog.

6. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

:evil:

7. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    So the pictures above are the INSIDE of the door panel?

What does it look like on the OUTSIDE? If it looks fine, don't worry about it. No one will care or ever see what it looks like on the inside.

It is pretty tough getting that sheet metal 100% perfect after it's been pretty well dented out of shape. It'll never look like nothing ever happened to it from every side, but only the side you commonly see is what matters.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh! All I can do is add my opinion that you are indeed correct that the repair is substandard.

As far as what to do, contacting your insurance company probably is the best idea as far as potential happy outcomes.

I have to ask, you obviously care a lot about how your Prius is handled. Did you discuss before the repairs were attempted the method the shop planned to use? Whatever shop you used probably employs this poor standard routinely, which is sad because how many people are going to go to the trouble of pulling off a door panel to check a repair? For a lot of people discovery of the substandard repair probably doesn't manifest until years later and once damage becomes even more costly. Good luck, and I suppose the bright side, is that you have discovered it, and you have the chance to remedy now, before you have to replace the entire door in about two years.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a specific comment on your repair, zeeman, but related: Last time I had my car in for bodywork, the adjuster revealed that repair estimates for Prius are bumped up into the 'luxury' category. Apparently the owners tend to be fussier, and extra time is often required. Sure enough, they screwed up, and I had to take it back a couple of times. It's still not as good as new. :rant:

10. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Its never as good as new. That's why I try to avoid accidents at all costs - its not the fear of getting hurt, its the fear of having to deal with the insurance company and body shop. :(

11. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, that was it. Smart arse!! :D

A feral bitch with no licence and no insurance reversed into me as I drove past in a shopping centre car park.

12. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Until the bog (plasic putty) cracks or falls out because it is so thick. I'm not a panel beater and I wouldn't accept that repair on my sons mid 80s Corolla even if I did it myself.

13. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Parking lots are the scariest places to drive if you value your car.

Don't they have uninsured motorist coverage in Australia? My policy automatically adds it. However, I did get hit once by an uninsured guy driving on a suspended license (he smashed into my rear bumper while I was stopped at a red light). That was about one month before the uninsured coverage took affect, so I had to buy the new bumper myself. :mad: