1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not sure if this belongs in Troubleshooting or Audio....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bk992004, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Bk992004

Bk992004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good evening, all. I've been reading these forums off and on for years for help with stuff, but this time I haven't been able to find here.

About 5 years ago I bought a 2010 Prius. It's my 3rd Prius; I love them. Anyway, the navigation system in this car has never worked for me. It didn't work when I bought the car and I was OK with that because I like my Garmin. But I've always been able to use all audio functions with no issue.

The other day, my battery died in the cold. When it warmed up and I got the battery replaced, I started getting a message saying I needed the nav disc, and now I can't use my radio. The previous owner was an idiot and when I bought the car I pulled 3 discs out of the nav dvd drive (yes, DVD drive, not cd player) with pliers because it was jammed up so bad. So I know there hasn't been a disc in there in 5 years.

How can I skip this screen and get my radio back?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you sure none of the discs you pulled out was the nav disc? If you find that one and the pliers didn't kill it, you could try putting it back.

Ordinarily, the MFD is never "off", it just sleeps when you turn the car off. But any time the battery has actually died or been disconnected, then it will need to reboot, and for that, it's gonna need the disc.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you could probably find a cheap disk on ebay

4. Bk992004

Bk992004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought a new nav disc about a year after I got the car just to try and get everything working correctly. When I tried to put it in, I realized there was already a disc in, but it wouldn't come out. Careful work with a flashlight and a thin knife revealed the 3 discs jammed into the DVD drive. I tried working them out gently to no avail, thus the entrance of the needle-nose pliers. Though I didn't just grab on and pull. As I would tell the player to eject the disc, I just grabbed on and applied a gentle pull to get it out when whatever the interior mechanism released. All 3 were map discs. Once they were all removed, I tried putting my disc in and the drive wouldn't read it.

I've left it alone since because I never used the map anyway. Now, though, with it not letting me listen to the radio, it's an actual issue :(

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think there are some electronics shops that repair the things. I would guess that the insertion of three map discs wasn't salutary for the DVD drive.

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Tried car-part.com, no listing for nav dvd player, but mfd nav screen w/o satellite was $50-150, so obviously those vehicles have the dvd, maybe contact the listings near OKC on the attached screen grab 2010 and up head unit.

Attached Files:

#6 alftoy, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For Gen 2, the nav DVD player was a separate box under the seat. For the 2010 and 2011 Gen 3, it's a DVD drive integrated into the headunit.

alftoy likes this.
  8. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base

Ok wasn't aware the Gen3 dvd is in the head unit. The screen grab only shows Gen 3 head units for $50-150, so car-part did build in interchange depending on gen, so any of the head units listed should work.

Attached Files:

#8 alftoy, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  9. Bk992004

Bk992004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you all for the information. I was hoping there was a workaround.