1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not sure what happened when I got home last night

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SDB54, Sep 6, 2019.

1. SDB54

SDB54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've had this Gen 2 for about 2 weeks.
    I drove home from work last night and thought I shut the car off and locked the doors. This morning, I noticed the remote wouldn't unlock the doors and I could hear a faint clicking sound from under the hood. Luckily I had the little key to get inside. The car won't start and it appears the 12v battery is dead.

My thought is that I may have left the smart key system on by mistake (smart key button is pressed in), but have still been putting the key in the dashboard slot to start the car.

The lights weren't left on, no door was left open, and all the dome lights are set to off. Somehow the doors were able to be locked. Could I have locked the doors with the engine running and have gotten out of the car?
    I'm pretty sure I couldn't have pulled the key from the dash if the car was running. If I did leave the car running, could it have run out of gas, and the system is still trying to start the car, and eventually draining the 12v?

TGIF!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you may be overthinking it. if you locked the doors, it couldn't have been on.

isn't it possible the battery was simply on its last legs?

pull the top off and check the date code

edthefox5 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you done anything to address this known issue? ( 12v battery | PriusChat )

Have you checked the 12v battery voltage already ?

12 batteries don't last forever. Do you know for a fact that it was recently replaced ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. SDB54

SDB54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I certainly could be overthinking it.
    A guy came out and gave me a jump and it started right up just now. Unfortunately I have to drive to work so I will have to test the voltage later.

Unfortunately I can only go by what the used car place told me, that they just replaced the 12 V. My thoughts are either they didn’t, or the one that they replaced it with is a piece of crap because this is the 3rd time this has happened. I drive it every day, so it’s hard to imagine why on a day like this morning it wouldn’t start.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i drive mine everyday. one morning i started it, no problem, drove four miles, no problem, parked for an hour, came back and the door wouldn't unlock.
    unlocked with the key, pushed the go button, nothing.

aaa arrived an hour later, battery was 4.4 volts

replaced the 7 year old battery, no problems since

6. SDB54

SDB54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Interesting. I’m starting to smell a bad 12 V battery. As soon as I get to work I will check the date on this and then when I get home later check The voltage.
    Any good recommendations for a new 12 V?

Thank you for the replies

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which part of NorCal are you in, is there a Pep Boys nearby?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can check the voltage from your MFD. it’s actually better to do that rather than starting and driving the car then checking it

9. SDB54

SDB54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I’m in the East Bay just outside SF, but I work in Menlo Park. Definitely a Pep Boys/ O’Reilly around here.

Is that MFD battery check legit? (with the car off) , or should I wait to get home and put a real meter on the battery?

10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it legit. I’ve used it many times. I do the secret button trick though, not the headlight switch method.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/idoneitmyself.com/2015/01/25/entering-the-maintenance-or-inspection-mode-on-a-prius-1st-gen-and-2nd-gen/amp/

#10 Skibob, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    SDB54 likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would check the battery voltage with a multi-meter, at the under-hood jump point, first thing in the morning, after sitting overnight. Preferably with the hood popped the night before, so that there's no "waking up" off the car.

Better by far, get something like Solar BA9 (or one of a slew of other similar) automotive battery electronic load tester.

12. SDB54

SDB54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks! I’ll give it a try during lunch hour and report back.

13. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once you are positive the battery is the/a problem.

Order online for 25% off (linked below) or Call and see which Pep Boys location has a Bosch AGM in stock (they all should) :
    • Part#: 51-440BAGM
    • SKU: 647478
    Bosch Premium Performance Battery Group, Size 51 | 647478 | Pep Boys

They're advertising 25% off online orders, and then you can pick it up at a store. You don't have to actually pay for it online (no CC needed), you can pay upon pick it up. If you can't order this at work, home, phone, then one of the employees can help you order it from their computer for an in-store pickup. You'll need a reservation for installation, if required.

There is a $40 rebate on Bosch/Champion AGM batteries. http://img.rewardpromo.com/1/7554/21853.pdf

Hard to beat Pep Boys this time of the year, even with the $15 install fee (not required if you DIY).

Skibob likes this.
  14. SDB54

SDB54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, I thought I was doing it wrong because nothing was coming up on the display, but in fact the battery is dead again (car won’t start) after only being at my work parking lot for barely 4 hours.

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If your battery was dead to the point you needed a jump, then it would take a Prius 8-12 hours in READY mode to charge the battery enough to continue with only the damage caused by 1 low voltage cycle.

If you got a jump, drove to work, and parked it (off, not READY), all within 4-hours, there's no way that battery even had a chance to charge up.

Skibob likes this.
  16. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried that once. As soon as I lifted the hood the car alarm went off.

Mendel Leisk and SDB54 like this.
  17. SDB54

SDB54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    8-12 hours to charge a little 12v battery??

Hmmm, last time this happened, I got a jump, drove approx an hour to get home, was in for the night, and since the next morning I’ve been driving it every day, including a recent drive to LA and back with no issues in-between. I’m not sure why today it suddenly won’t hold a charge unless it’s really on its last leg...

18. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also make sure someone hasn’t changed over your battery terminals to the US size. That happened to me and I had to buy new JIS sized ones

19. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like the battery’s done. Car dealers are notoriously cheap. They might have replaced the battery with a used one, could have lied too.

SDB54 likes this.
  20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any 12v battery that doesn't start a Prius is automatically on it's last leg. That's the thing with the Prius. In a "normal" car you have a starter that draws yuuuuuge amounts of power from the 12v battery to "crank" the engine and start the car. When your battery gets just a little itty bitty bit weak, it starts making more noise a good audible indication of it being low. It may even still start with more coaxing and retrying. Eventually you get to where you hear it spinning the engine and barking like a crazed manatee and the car won't start. Jump the car, the battery is float charged back up to the 12.4 to 12.8 volts the battery normally sits at by the 13.8v to 14.4v alternator in the car that is feeding it 40A or 80A or 200A depending on the vehicle. The low battery will get super hot and vent but take the charge.

Now the Prius doesn't do any of that. You get in the car, the Prius primes the brakes which can be a 30A draw for a couple seconds. But then no draw but the dome lights. You press the brake pedal and on button, and it flips 3 relays in sequence to attach the HV battery to the inverter. 1 to precharge the high voltage positive and the HV ground. Then it flips the full power high voltage positive. Then it turns off the precharge relay. Click-click-click. That can be done with less than 9v. A 12v battery is considered low at 12.4v. It is considered DEAD at 11v. At 9v, you have a severely discharge battery potentially with 2 or more completely failed cells inside. Yet somehow it can still manage to start the car. And when the battery is 12.8v it sounds EXACTLY like when the battery is 9v. Because it just does click-click-click and that's it. The HV battery then supplies the power to MG1 to spin/crank the engine. And the second the inverter is on, the 12v is being charged by a CVCC controller in the inverter that supplies 13.8v-14.4v at up to 12A (15A relay). If the battery is dead, it will supply 12A at a super low voltage to trickle charge the battery up. Charging a DEAD DEAD DEAD battery at 12A back to where it is healthy will take 8-12 hours.

SDB54 and Skibob like this.