1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not thrilled with the Continental Pure Contact "Eco Plus" tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ES44AC, Apr 16, 2016.

1. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got 45k plus out of my Goodyear Assurance tires, still had 5/32 +/- on them but were getting dicey on wet roads.

So I took the plunge and replaced them with Continental Pure Contact tires with 'Eco Plus" allegedly low RR tires.
    They haven't been on the car a week and although I keep all my tires 3lbs over recommended pressure I see a marked decrease in the fuel economy. I did reset the TPM system after setting the tire pressure where I wanted it.

Normally the HSI shows me 50 or 51 and higher when it gets warmer outside. I have yet to see an indicated 50 on the HSI no matter what I do, except take it out of gear and coast, it won't go higher! Of course I know the HSI is always a bit optimistic but its a rough estimate until I can fill the tank. Ambient temps here are in the mid 60's F.

Sad part is the tires are nice and quiet and the ride is improved over the worn out Goodyears,as you'd expect.

I can't explain it and am not happy with it but that's the way it is!

Oh yes a "recommended installer for the Tire Rack" managed to damage all 4 of my OEM rims! Those will all have to be repaired.....
    You'd like to think that whoever was doing the mounting would see what was going on after the 1st rim had marks on it. But they didn't even see the damage to the 4th one.... or maybe they did and hoped I wouldn't notice. WRONG!

I am told the imbecile who did the work was fired, I hope so.

"ES"

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the eco part is a scam. they are not really LRR. i was duped into buying them and the MPG immediately went down from about 65 to 55 (city driving, P&G style, same commute and same everything). if someone else told me i wouldn't believe it. 30,000+ miles later still stuck on 55 MPG. Fortunately gas is cheap or i would be furious. they are wearing very nicely though with 50% more life (clear evidence they are not LRR, can't have it both way).

too bad they are still listed in the LRR tire sticky thread (probably only because of the name).

3. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First off, older tires will have lower rolling resistance than new tires because the worn tread and harder rubber reduce tread squirm. Give it some time. Second, unless you're testing in controlled conditions, I wouldn't put much stock in "I was expecting XX mpg but I'm only getting XY mpg" assessments; mileage is affected by a tremendous variety of factors, and the effect of tires is just one small part.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ....ditto on GY losing wet traction when the tread was still OK, my wife actually had a minor accident in the rain just 1-day before our appointment to install the Tire Rack tires. We went with the Conti True Contacts though. Our GY were the Assurance ComforTred an earlier version.

Merkey likes this.
  5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Tire Rack shows them as LRR.

6. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've put over 40k on my current PureContact tires now and I can say that my MPG has finally gone back up to what I used to have. I originally bought these tires because they have excellent reviews on its handling. I was never impressed with the OEM Bridgstones' dry or even more scary, wet, handling so that's why I replaced them even when they have more than 10k of tread left on them.

The Continentals have a 70k miles warranty and they still have a little less than half the tread left. Handling is excellent in both wet and dry and even lightly dusted snowy paths. One bad thing about these tires is that they get pretty noisy after about 30k miles of driving.

Tire that contributes excellent MPG is important but when you have 100-mile commutes every day, I'll take ones that have better ride and handling over MPG any day.

#6 WolfpackBill, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    stormchaser likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I have only two tire requirements: 51 psi sidewall pressure, and revs/mile to correct the speedometer and odometer to be <1% off. However, I am surprised the wheel rims were damaged.

The only way I could imagine that would be if the air wrench were set to 'torque impossible' and the technician crushed the alloy wheels at the hub. In which case, if there are cracks, the wheel rims would be unsafe. 'Shaved' metal would be bad but not necessarily a safety hazard. In either case, the lug nuts would be too tight to allow a human to change a flat tire. Take pictures and let the service company 'do the right thing.' Pictures are lawyer fodder.

The other thing I do is buy a 'life time alignment' service (mine is from Firestone but I understand Goodyear has one too.) Typically $100+, it is fair to have an alignment checked at least once a year. Share the report so we can see both the front and rear wheel alignment: toe and camber for each wheel.

Bob Wilson

8. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bob,

You are reading something in to the original post that isn't there. I never said crushed, or over torqued, I said 'damaged'. I guess it's up to the individual to decide what 'damage' is. When I come in to a shop with rims that have no marks on them and I find marks all over each rim, to my eyes that's DAMAGE.

The service manager admitted the tire mounting machine's "finger" that pulls the bead of the tire over the rim edge was already cracked when they started the job. The crack in the nylon material or whatever it is, put a scratch around the entire circumference of each rim, about 1/4" from the edge of the rim. In the attached photo you can see the black mark, unfortunately the mark will come off if I use Goof Off, but the line under the black mark remains,

To add in insult to injury while I was having this discussion another employee overheard what was being said and offered " Oh yeah we had to replace that because it was broken!" Too bad it wasn't replaced before they scratched the rims.

I am set up to have a wheel repair shop do all 4 next week. The bill will be paid by the installer of the tires. IMG_1033.JPG The guy that owns that repair service told me the same shop, that damaged my rims, managed to cock up a set of AMG wheels on a new Mercedes. He quoted me a price of $2k to replace each one, damage was so bad they will have to be sent out of town for welding in of new metal.

So all things considered I got lucky.... if you can call it that.

"ES"

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks,

We needed to understand:
    The metal scratch is potentially a problem. My concern is small fractures that are not visible to the eye. Over time, metal salts will find these cracks and do their damage. Need to check the inside rims too (for piece of mind.)

In a perfect world, dye testing would reveal micro fractures. At a minimum, after the current repairs, a clear coat would keep corrosive road salts away from any fractures. Or just check them once a year.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

#9 bwilson4web, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm thinking they just relay the manufacturer's claims. They'll often accompany the spec. with the manufacturer's expression, for example "ECO", or "GreenX". There seems to a quite a gamut of LRR, and often tires that don't even claim to be LRR best the claimants. You have to be sceptical, consider the LRR claim, but research the heck out of it too.

11. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here is a simple explanation on why mileage always go down after putting in the new tires. New tire diameter is probably 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch larger ( more thread) than worn tires. Car computer assumes some constant tire diameter when calculating mpg. So new tire will give you larger distance covered vs old tire, with the same number of rotations. With the tire diameter of About 30 inches ( can't remember exactly) , that would correspond to ~ 2 mpg decrease provided everything else is equal.

Alex

12. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Alex,
    I considered what you said early on after the immediate decrease in mileage. Then I dismissed it, for whatever reason. My SL500R allowed me to correct the computer to accommodate a change in tire size. Needless to say the Prius doesn't know the difference and there's no way to 'tell' it either.

Thanks to all who replied!

"ES"

13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alex, everyone knows about the 2% mpg loss due to taller tread. throw in the extra tread squirm and softer new rubber and we have about 4% loss (consistent with your 2 mpg in a prius). this is what i expected. instead that i got about 15% loss (everything else was equal). furthermore, not much has changed 2 years and 35,000 miles later. explain that, please.

traction is good BTW, but not as greater over the OEM tires as i expected either. they really shine in tread longevity.

14. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's some question of what makes LRR tires LRR, but I'd say if a place/manufacturer advertises them as such, you might be able to file a complaint with the FTC.

15. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The most fuel efficient tire in North America is and continues to be the following.
    Michelin Energy Saver AS, 195x65x15. On my 2nd set with our 2010 Prius. Last fillup 55.6 mpg calculated. So far indicated for over 300 miles is a dash indicated 63 mpg, which is about 59.5 calculated. 65 to 70 thousand miles on a set...

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that A/S is great tire but in areas with snow/ice that's where the rankings are not as good as say Conti True Contact

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

I looked at that with a spreadsheet, a while back. Comparing the stock 15" Prius tires, brand-new vs down-to-the-wear-bars, the revs per mile varies by a factor of 0.985, which means if you were getting 50 mpg with the new, under the same conditions with the worn tires you'd be getting 50.76 mpg.

Capture.JPG

18. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try again! The distance a loaded tire travels per revolution does not change in direct proportion to its change in unloaded diameter as it wears, as someone else explained in detail in another thread recently. Even IF it hypothetically did, and if we accept your 0.985 number, that only means if you were getting 50 apparent (uncorrected) mpg with the new and got the same actual mpg with the old, then the apparent mpg with the old would've been 50.76.

The main reason new tires yield worse fuel economy than otherwise identical worn ones is their higher rolling resistance, not the change in unloaded diameter.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I agree, was actually trying to say: even the theoretical difference in diameter is trivial.

CR94 likes this.
  20. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just replaced my Michelin A/S Energy savers with Michelin Defenders and yes I took a major hit. I'm guessing four to five mpg's and I can say I have less than 1,000 miles on them so I expected a hit. We'll see once I make sure my Scan Gauge is properly calibrated at my next fill up what the hit really is. I was seeing only around 46 mpg at 65 mpg yesterday with the AC on. Normal is closer to 51-52 with the AC. Anyway back to the subject new tires will always cost you upwards of 5% hit on fuel mileage. It may be anywhere between 5K and 10K miles before you start to see an improvement in fuel mileage.

From Cummins on the effects of a trucks tires on fuel economy. This information applies also to automobile tires on a smaller scale.

From page 16

Tread Depth and Pattern According to Bridgestone, the tire tread accounts for 60–70% of the tires’ rolling resistance

Not only do the tires differ in rolling resistance when new, but as the tread wears, the rolling resistance of the tire changes.
    A 7/32 tread wear represents ~10% reduction in rolling resistance (5% better mpg) compared to a new tire.

Rib tires at all wheel positions will provide greatest fuel efficiency
    Tread pattern is important be cause lugs have deeper tread (more rolling resistance) than ribs.
    If we take a new ribbed tire as the standard, a new lugged tire is less fuel efficient by about 6%

A worn tire is about 7% more fuel efficient than a new tire.

Link to the Cummins Study on Truck fuel economy. If you get some time it is well worth the read.

http://cumminsengines.com/uploads/docs/cummins_secrets_of_better_fuel_economy.pdf

alekska and Mendel Leisk like this.