1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not Turning On After New Key

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by azazel501, Jun 18, 2022.

1. azazel501

azazel501 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello everyone. I have quite the nightmare going on and I'm hoping you fine people might guide me in the proper direction. I have a 2010 Prius that had been acting up with the infamous P0A80 error code. I went and purchased a new traction battery to put in. That very same day, I lost my only key fob. After searching to no avail for a few days, I decided it was time to call a locksmith.
    They came and did their magic with a lot of trouble along the way. The key said it was paired according to their diagnostic software, but wouldn't unlock the doors, and the ignition wouldn't turn over. They then disconnected and reconnected the 12v battery. After this, the car wouldn't turn on at all. No hud, no head unit, nothing. The man said he couldn't charge me in good conscience, left me the key, and asked me to reach out to him in a week if it works or not.
    That is my story, kind Priusfolk. I have a few hypotheses:
    1. The 12v battery just died from the car being on without the engine running for so long while he tried to re-key the car
    2. Something with the hybrid system already being wonky set me up to fail from the beginning
    3. The dude was clueless and really fucked something up bad in the ecu when he was in it.
    I'm in a really bad spot here, guys, and would appreciate any input you may have. Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you are going to diy:

did you already put the new hybrid battery in, and if so, use the 3 step method to replace the orange safety plug?

does anything light up when you push the go button? dome light work? headlights, power windows?if not, take the 12v battery to an auto parts store that does free load tests.

can you pair a new fob if you don't already have one? is it the right fob and brand new?

3. azazel501

azazel501 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have not done anything with the hybrid battery yet. The old one pulling the errors is still in the car. Nothing lights up when I push the go button now. From what I have read and what it looked like the tech did, you can make a new master key by wiping all the old keys from memory. I believe the fob is proper as it looks like a widely sold aftermarket one for my model.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i could be wrong again, but i thought the advice here was to buy oem. maybe gen 2 though, idk.