1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

not understanding accessory mode yet

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GaryE, Oct 4, 2017.

1. GaryE

GaryE New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi all.
    I just bought a 2011 Prius IV, and I'm really excited about this new driving experience (traded in a Dodge Ram 1500!).

I do find, though, that some concepts are confounding me.
    For now just one. I can't get the car to charge my phone, which I leave in the car all day while I'm working.
    Both chargers stop working when the car is turned off.
    I read here and in other places that the car needs to be in accessory mode. Apparently, one push of the Power button without foot on brake is Accessory mode. Well, I did that, and yes the phone began to charge again. But I also noticed that my navigation screen came on and stayed on. Pushing the power button on that only turned on the audio and started the radio going.
    I was prepared to live with that (if it has to be that way), but then I discovered I could no longer lock the car.
    I tried repeatedly to lock it with the remote, but each time, I would get three slow beeps. Then I could open the door just by pulling the handle.
    I thought maybe it was because the key was on my person. So I took the remote more than 50 feet from the car and found that it was still unlocked.
    Then I turned the car back off, and locked it, and it stayed locked. So I don't quite get what is going on.
    I just want to be able to have the phone charging and the door locked, and ideally the nav screen/radio to stay off.

On a second and possibly related note, in the several days that I've owned the car, I've come outside several times to find the air conditioning running inside the car. I don't know why that's happening.

Thanks all.
    I'm sure these are just the beginning of my questions.

Gary

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some things in life, my reaction is: uhuh, uhuh, ok, I'm never going to use that, or it's going to be detremental, so I won't spend any further time investigating/learning it.

Accessory mode on the Prius is one of those things. Leaving the car in accessory mode, listening to the radio, charging the phone, soon enough you'll run the (diminutive 12 volt down). My take: don't start the car till you're going somewhere, start it "fully", and when you get where you're going, shut it down immediately. Fugedabout hanging out in the car.

BruceInOKC likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    air conditioning, or fan?

you've messed around with it so much, maybe you're leaving it on and don't realize it.
    get in the habit of powering down and locking the doors when you get out.

as far as charging your phone is concerned, some here have tapped a live 12v wire to make their own port for charging, but beware, the 12v battery is very small, and easily drained. i don't know how much juice a cell phone requires, but i would prefer to find another way to charge my phone.

#3 bisco, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Accessory mode and ign on mode are for very short term use only. They will drain the 12V battery very quickly and leave you stranded. Use them to:
    roll up windows you forgot to close when you shut the car off, to avoid going back into "ready".
    listen to a very short bit of radio, perhaps the news, although putting the car in "ready" is better.
    testing an accessory without having the car start the engine in "ready".

They are there mostly for legal requirements. Like "N", DON'T USE THEM LONGER THAN A FEW MINUTES!

If you really want to drain the Prius 12V battery you can wire a circuit to the battery (with a suitable fuse) to charge your electronics so it's "always on". Some have modified the cig. lighter socket this way. -I- wouldn't advise it. Take your electronics with you along with a 115V charger and use it where you go. Outlets for charging are appearing everywhere.

Maarten28 likes this.
  5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your first "issue" is easy. American cars keep that circuit live (generally) and everything else kills that circuit when the car dies (generally). This is something that annoys me to no end when I am forced to rent a domestic Big-3 car. When I press off, I want the radio off and all the electronic ports to power down. In american cars, the radio keeps playing until I open the door and the ports may or may not stay live forever. I don't want to unplug my radar detector everytime I turn the car off!

So that's what you are discovering coming from a Dodge vehicle. It is designed that way on purpose. Leaving a car in accessory mode is also a terrible idea. As you learned, you then cannot lock your vehicle and you are powering the entire system (HVAC fans, nav screens, lights, etc) from the 12v battery. If you haven't looked at the 12v yet, it is like a golf-cart battery because it is not meant to start and crank an engine. It flips some relays and goes back to sleep. Running in ACC mode for almost any non-zero length of time will kill your battery. Don't do it. This also counts if you are one of those people that sits in their car for an hour or two outside of a store waiting for someone else to shop, or if you eat lunch in the car, etc. The Japanese don't do that, it is not designed to do that.

If you want to make the port live when the car is off, you will have to run a live wire and hack into the back of the socket. It is not a bug or problem with your car, that's the way it is designed.

As to the AC running, if you are leaving it in ACC mode, then the fan will be running (and draining the 12v battery). If you are leaving it in READY, then the AC and fan may be running but they will run off of the inverter which will inturn run off the engine when the main HV battery gets low. Otherwise, you are most likely forgetting to turn the car off. The engine may be off, but the car isn't when you get out. And if you're used to american cars where the radio keeps playing until you get out, that may be perfectly normal to you to get out with the radio still going and not signal that the car is still on.

A little trick is just to lock it when you get out. After you get out, press the SKS button on the door and have it lock the car. If any of the doors are open, it won't lock. If the car is anything but off, it won't lock. In the first case the dome light can kill the 12v by leaving the light on. In the second depending on the state it could kill the 12v or just run all night long in your garage.

6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Its one of those give and take things when you hop into a prius, the 12v battery won't be that versatile compared to traditional non-hybrid vehicle. How the hatch doesn't open when engine is on is one of the biggest thing that I had to adjust and live with.