1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not very daring, huh?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pilotgrrl, Mar 28, 2018.

1. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hkmb likes this.
  2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    This is revealing:
    Guilty pleasure? Chardonnay

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, but moving from cali to texas could be a shock to the system.:eek:

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  4. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Apparently a number of Californians didn't want to go. But California wasn't the only location that suffered major cuts.

The Torrance, CA former HQ was closed, but many positions were consolidated in Texas. That's what I understand from having followed this for a few years.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Moving from anywhere that is more cosmopolitan than Texas to Texas can be a shock to the system.

However, I've met a lot of people in the past few years that haven't ever left their state of origin. If they have, they may never have been on an airplane, and they certainly haven't been outside the US.

For many, it's not because they don't want to, it's their situation in life.

I've gotten many interesting questions about why did I ever, how could I ever do some of the things I have done.

But I was either too polite or too much of a coward to ask why they did what they did. (I'm not someone who could ever be a single parent or stay in an abusive relationship.)

RCO and hkmb like this.
  6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A bit over 15 years ago, I did some work for an American golf-club manufacturer that was looking to outsource its manufacturing to Mainland China or Taiwanpartofchina.

A team of three engineering/manufacturing people came over, two from the company's site in Arizona, and one from another site somewhere in New England. They went to Japan first for some golf club technology thing, and then met me in Taiwan, and we went to Hong Kong and the Mainland.

The two from Arizona were quite cosmopolitan. The New England guy had been out of his state before, but he had never been out of New England. He was about 30. He was absolutely terrified. Tokyo was the first place he'd ever been to outside of New England. His colleagues told me he wore his backpack on his chest, and wrapped it in cling film (do Americans call it saran wrap or something?) because he was terrified of being a victim of crime (in Tokyo!). He'd learned that the rest of the world was much more dangerous than America, and he was really very scared. The reason he'd never been out of New England wasn't because of his circumstances - he had a well-paying job and no kids or other responsibilities - but because he thought the rest of the world was a terrible place. By the time he got to Taipei, he was a wreck.

The first few days in Taipei were a challenge, but it really was a learning experience for him. He was so pleased the first time he went to a 7-11 on his own in Taipei (at night!) and came back alive. Toward the end of our time in Taiwan, and certainly by the time he'd got to Hong Kong, he was starting to come out of his shell, and actually talk to local people in the street and stuff. He thanked me and his colleagues by the end of the trip and said he really felt it had changed him for the better.

I think it's very easy to get into that position, of thinking that the rest of the world is a terrible, dangerous place and it's better to stay in your state where the people are good. And it's not just an American thing: one of my friends never left New South Wales until he was 35 and his boyfriend's uncle offered them a place in Crete for a month, and he loved it. Now he travels as much as he can.

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For a lot of people, they absolutely must choose between one or the other of those: choosing neither isn't an option.

9. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They had been planning this for a while. Plus the Torrance Headquarters was too small for the move. Now a huge facility is in Plano and it is massive along with a network of underground throughways to travel all over by golf carts and small vehicles. Ive seen pictures of the main building of the welcome center and its sick looking.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when we moved to southern new hampshire from the boston area back in the day, people there were shocked that we would drive to boston and back on the same day. (50 miles each way) they had never been.

when we moved back and started a distribution business, we found out that many people from cape cod had never been over the bridge to the mainland, and never planned to. so we made a good business of running trucks down everyday.

RCO, hkmb and pilotgrrl like this.
  11. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've seen pictures, too. I haven't driven past it to gawk at the building, though.

12. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You should. They give tours.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  13. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is truly massive. The TNA relocation, along with Liberty Mutual, FedEx Office, plus a couple others present and planned has Plano's Legacy West development set to house almost as many workers by 2020-2021 as are currently in downtown Dallas.

City of Plano is already starting to address traffic issues. They've been adding lanes to the tollway, and hopefully the Cotton Belt DART line will get built with the planned stops.

#13 pilotgrrl, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  14. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah they say its like a small city already and growing now since it was pretty much in the middle of close to nowhere.

15. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not nearly as exotic as going to the Tsutsumi plant next time I go to Japan, but a lot closer! And I wouldn't be the only バカ外人like I would in Japan.

I'll have to check to see how one gets to go on a scheduled tour, probably through corporate affairs?

Would be a fun thing to do on a day off, since I work Thursday - Sunday.

16. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Trust me if you can call Toyota off their main website they will transfer you. I want to say the wait is almost a month though so start thinking and planning it like a vacation to Vegas! A sad arid lonely Vegas without the lights and tons of Toyotas

pilotgrrl likes this.
  17. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Plano hasn't been the "middle of nowhere" for the past 15 years.

Where TNA is.now was a large amount of empty land, but Plano itself is almost all functionally built out, except for parts around Legacy West and the Frisco area.

Big battles are now "no more apartments" vs "Mayor Harry's vision", more or less.

18. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK so you say Plano I say Kingsville. Hey where you from? Plano! Where? That is the point. Im from Dothan. One of the biggest cities in my area. If you cant say where it is without googling it then you arent from there or its in the middle of nowheresburg. See my point?

RCO likes this.
  19. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It also similar to " Hey where you from?" - Houston area,....( looks at Drivers License and its Galveston) Close enough lol.

RCO likes this.
  20. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Right now, I live in Plano, TX, not to be confused with Plano, IL, where there is a very nice Farm and Fleet store, if you like such places. I do.

I'm from Chicago (the city proper and multiple suburbs), but I've also lived in Denver and Kyoto, Japan.

My sister has lived in Plano, TX about 25 years, so I've seen it go from fairly small to what it is today. But I'm no expert, I haven't been here very long myself.

I see you hail from Alabama. I've never been there, just through there, so I have no personal opinion one way or the other, except to say that it's in the south.

Nice to meet you!