1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not yet a Prius owner; please help steer my decision on pre-owned

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Veronika V, Mar 8, 2023.

1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Spoken by a gen4 owner.

2. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great advice, definitely be prepared to read a lot to prevent issues like with all vehicles. Youtube is awesome as well with detailed info to use whether for servicing yourself or detailing with others. Gasket Masters Youtube channel has a wealth of info in detail as well as others who are members of this group like NutzAboutBolts, Mr.Electric, michael blacktree and more you'll find searching online.

Oil, oil, oil and watch your fluids in general. Especially be certain to change your oil and filters routinely along with topping of as needed. Document as well and save those documents. Graph that data if you can so you might be able to predict trends to prevent more catastrophic failure that are costly.

I'm a Michigan Tech graduate and grew up with my Dad teaching me to find the service manuals and invest in the tools required unless they cost more than the labor expense. Then just hire out the work to do the job if the tools cost more and you don't want to invest in the tools to do the job yourself. Though still knowing what the service manual states and calling around to subject matter experts (guys that know what they're talking about) say and actually do as best practices so you know you're not getting robbed or have someone that doesn't know what they're doing working on your ride.

I own a 2013 I bought with ~20K miles, now with ~276K miles and only have had to replace the rear brake pads due to a passenger side rear lower caliper pin seizing, driver side inner tie rod I guess due to the coyote-deer-tractor trailer tire incidents. The body work is optional and 100 mile per hour tape with zip ties and some holes works fabulous. Plastic welding works great using stainless steel mesh on the inside as well or for the fenders just plastic weld.

However, two days back coming from the 50% off salvage yard sale with way way way cost effective good enough parts that are OEM from what I found, going to replace my burnt out headlight bulb my drivers side hood hinge snapped. Otherwise, has only been tires replaced, wiper blades, light bulbs, filters and fluids. I did disassembly the wiper switch and clean the contacts and dielectric grease lube and also used TriFlow on the wiper assembly pivot points. I've made Youtube videos showing or explaining what I've done on my jafinch78 channel.

Crazy to me the low amount of maintenance. Though do beware, always always check your oil and make sure you keep that topped and using a full synthetic like the Toyota or Mobile 1. You don't want your oil seal piston rings getting stuck from low oil and lack of regular oil changes. I've started using Mobile 1 20,000 mile for topping off between changes to be safe since I noticed consumption was increasing. That helped change that trajectory.

A week or so back I invested in a 2006 Prius with ~235K miles. Brake, ABS, VSC, TPMS and Engine Warning lights were on and recently I found thankfully the mechanic did the brake install wrong on the passenger side rear adjustment lever not being placed inside the fork of the adjustment strut. Otherwise, the Engine code seems to be due to a "custom exhaust" and I've brought back from the salvage yard a complete exhaust from the manifold back and invested in a new OEM fit catalytic converter online for under $100. I also have a TPMS sensor light on where appears three are faulty, though I scored a set of gen 3 from a 2011 Prius set of rims with good enough tire at the 50% off price as well that includes the TPMS sensors. Even found a key fob in that car. Grabbed the EGR, Intake and PCV circuit so I can clean that and swap out when I get around to do as most recommend that being done every 100-150K, though I've never unless was part of a service plan maybe from the dealer or recall I'm unaware of. I do recall the PCV Valve has been replace, maybe more than once and needs to be as well. Some swear by adding an oil catch can in that PCV circuit and I plan to run a metal tube over and up to in between the EGR and electronic coolant tank so I can mount the PCV Valve vertical up higher. I was going to install using gas-oil rated rubber hose, though wussed out on that plan opting for metal when I find the time.

So, if you're a little "e" engineer (I'm a Chemistry major for my first B.S. degree programming and copped out of the ChemE program) and have some tools and are willing to read read read and then ask around along with find some second hand tools or maybe a few new Maybe even with some management skills to hire others or seduce them to do picking and/or work for you, I think there's potential with even a used gen 3 that's 2013 (maybe 2012) or later design or the gen 2 that's reliable though from what I read those need more parts replaced that aren't cheap unless you find OEM used or whatever is in spec at a salvage yard. Salvage yards are your friends believe. Parts need to be saved as well, though saved from the scrappers, crushers, shredders and wherever down the process stream.

What are you aware of that was improved upon with the 2009 model?

Wondering since I've not read into much yet regarding the year difference in quality for the gen 2's. Definitely they all seem to have rust issues with the front rear wheel arches and rocker panel area, ABS Actuator-Accumulator (seems and I'm finding many might have been misdiagnosed or robbed as the previous owner was told) and the typical other parts like wheel bearings, water pump, brakes, etc. as with most vehicles getting high mileage on.

Mine also needs front sway bar bushings that I got at the yard that were good and a seemingly myriad of other backup parts that looked better than the ones installed on mine.

#22 James Analytic, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not much at all was improved in 2009, it's just the newest version of Gen2.

4. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wondering what the "Powertrain Defects" root causes are for the years prior to 2008 and the corrective and preventative actions?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I suspect cleaning the EGR at 50k interval will preclude the “need” to replace head gasket. Time will tell.

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Age is a factor. Gen2s burn oil as well. Low tension rings in 2010-mid2014 really created massive oil burning and carbon issues. New engine design in 2016 (except for the v) cleaned things up. You have to consider these numbers as under reported.

977AE520-525E-45E0-B293-BEFE6582BE45.jpeg

8. Yachtsteve

Yachtsteve New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V

How does having a ODB2 reader tell you about the hybrid battery

9. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dr. Prius app can detail some information regarding the HV battery performance.

Depending on the protocols the OBD2 adapter can use along with the software that can read the specific ECU's (14-16 I believe depending on options ***please correct if wrong***) and possibly reset the codes as well as perform other Techstream related functions for those ECU's.

10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    For the most part data from the hv battery is used to confirm a hybrid error light is the battery.

It really does nothing to solve an issue.

IMG_1839.jpeg

Here you can see the Dr Prius phone app accessing data through a bluetooth obd2 module. The green bars represent the 14 battery blocks. In this case their instantaneous readings are within 0.06vdc of each other. Acceptable on this data snapshot. State of charge could be watched since a bad battery can discharge in a couple of minutes. But you can see that graphically on the dash.

If you wanted to tentatively id the bad ones and tear the assembly apart, data can give you a starting point. Swap modules, put it back together, repeat every few months. No reliability but low cost. Or once it codes bad and discharges fast you install all new cells that will last another ten years.

There is an extra cost Dr Prius option where you attempt to measure the capacity as a lifespan prediction. Questionable especially if the battery is old or if someone swapped bad modules with used replacements.

#30 rjparker, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  11. Sand Hurst

Sand Hurst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have owned a 2010 Prius and 2012 Prius V station wagon. Both are Japan made. My experience with 2010 regular prius is very bad. It started burning oil at 150,000 km (100k miles). It got worse and worse from there. At 400k km, it has lost compression in cylinder#3 with leaked gasket.

My 2012 prius V have the same ICE engine as regular 2010 prius but even at 300k km (200k miles), it is not burning oil. It is much more comfortable with much more space and at least I get better fuel economy than regular 2010 prius.

The best fuel economy I got on regular was 3.7L/100km over 115km. With 2012 prius V in similar weather I got 3.5L/100km over same route in same direction.

300k km later, I can still get similar fuel economy on prius V.

I don't know why Toyota discontinued Prius V. I will never buy gas guzzler renamed Highlander as Rav 4 hybrid instead. I would love to buy Prius V plug-in hybrid with about 200km EV range, if made available.

Newer prius models have lot of changes over recent years. Too early to say how their engines will behave over time.

Toyota did the Piston recalls on Camry with same engine but gave prius owners step motherly treatment for the same issue with exactly same ICE engine. Similar maltreatment of Lexus CT200h owners by Toyota.

#31 Sand Hurst, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  12. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota did have a Prius program for excessive oil consumption but it was for lower mileage engines and few even knew about it at the time. But many engines were updated with new pistons and rings through 2018 when the program expired. Here the mantra has been egr, a side effect of oil consumtion and thermal cycling.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yea ... nothing didn't disingenuous about that .....

14. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ???

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. WhiteRabbit63

WhiteRabbit63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    [/QUOTE] Any Prius with over 100k miles will soon develop expensive problems. Keeping any used Prius for 10 years...I believe would be inconceivable.[/QUOTE]

Veronica,

I disagree with this gentleman's statement, as well as the other negative commentors, with all due respect to their individual experiences. Used cars, whether a Prius or any other model, are just that. Used. You'll want to do your research while you are shopping and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.

I was extremely fortunate to have my brother, who is a vehicle inspector, do a thorough check on all the Prius vehicles I looked at before finally finding the one I just bought. It is a used 2015 Gen3, 89k mi. My brother drives a used 2014 Gen3, 100k+ mi. Both cars are in extremely good condition. I paid $16k for mine, and he paid $13k for his. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either one of them. They were previously very well-maintained (by both dealer and owner), and we are both strict about our own maintenance routines. Being knowledgeable and informed is the key to owning and operating any vehicle, new or used. I also own a 2005 4-cyl 4WD Toyota Tacoma, being pretty faithful to the brand. I've owned and maintained it myself for 11 years (200k+ mi) and it has never failed me. My Prius is cute and quirky in comparison, but hybrids take a little getting used to. I've found it to be roomy, comfortable, and EXTREMELY fuel-efficient. My Taco was getting 19mpg, but my Prius gets 50+!!! I put only Premium fuel in it. The driving experience is wonderful, even if it is closer to the ground (LOL!!). I intend to convert it for living/traveling starting this year. Prius has been around a while and they are very popular. There is so much information about them on the internet that it is easy to make a wise decision. I agree that it will be the perfect car for your student driver, as long as he/she stays informed and learns proper maintenance and general car care. Good luck!!

16. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think with the pandemic the used car buyer's experience has on average gotten a lot worse.
    • Used cars close their original MSRP.
    • More lemons and more people trying to cover up things that should be transparent, like finding ways to roll back the odometer.
    • Lack of availability, having to travel half way accross the state or country to find what you're looking for.
    I'm not saying that's everyone's experience, but it's enough to make some of us who always bought used rethink if getting used makes sense anymore.

My used Prius is still sitting where it's at ever since I bought it two years ago because after I did I soon figured out it needs a new battery (actually both the 12V and HV), a catalytic converter, a wheel bearing and an engine block... and those or just the things I'm aware of. I'm not sure I was wanting to do that much work to it when I bought it.

PS. Premium isn't going to help your Prius at all. But Top Tier gasoline, even regular octane Top Tier gasoline, is going to be good for your Prius, and better than non-Top-Tier premium.

17. Richard III

Richard III Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e

I got my first Prius as a collage student, a low mileage 2016 hybrid. And i will keep it forever. I still only have about 30,000 miles on it and I just purchased a 2023. My dad is driving my 2016 for a while, and was a lifelong BMW GUY AND IS IN LOVE.

Personally i think HYBRID is the only way to go in the US, as our electricity is so dirty coal etc. at least in the middle of the US east. THere are no charging stations, and if you do need to drive over the typical 200 miles or less on an EV, for now. You can go 500 in my 2016 prius with 10 gallons of gas, and probably more. A really good thing if you are ever stuck on the highway behind a wreck or delayed and are almost out of a charge. Also there maybe new Fuel types as soon as there will be chrgning stations and clean electricity in the USA.

As with my house I have a back up generator, same philosophy - two kind of power plus the amazing physics of the braking systemon the prius and how the car recharges its battery with kentic energy. Pretty coll for a 30 year old plus car..

My 2023 just got back from having a professional glass coating on the paint and the guy that did it had a porche and a mercedes and he was in love with the paint on my prius. he said the quality is incredible.

I think if you look on Autotrader by owner sales of prius- any year is amazing. My grandmother has a 2004 with 200,000 miles.
    So I think they hold their value becuase they are great. And I literally can sell my 2016 for more that I paid in 2017. But at that time where I live not many people had the grasp of the amazing car a prius is. The 2016 is my favorite older model.

And there are lots of them online. The back space witht he seats down is larger than my dads now sold BMW X5.

So seriously you cant go wrong, just serch on autotrader or onine sites. I personally like sale by owner or a small dealership. A prius owner well they love their car. So definity start shopping. I got blue in both of the prius 2016 and 2023. Love it.. the 2023 is not as spacious and does not have a CD player so thats why dad loves the 2016, the CD player...

Good luck

18. Richard III

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e

19. Richard III

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Total nonsense about battery life, etc. you do have to know how to drive the car properly which is in the book. the brakes recharge the battery as you drive and if you do it right, the battery will last 150,000 miles. there are 2 batteries the lithium ion and the front car battery, but as I say 2 power sources are better than one. I have a 2016 that has never been to the dealership, except once. I go to Valvoline instant oil change and get tires inflated properly every few months 3 to 6 cold temps and warm temps can mess with tire pressure and they will do that an oil change washer fluid and let you know if anything need looking at very fast and you only pay for oil which can be at most 80 bucks. I started going there out of frustration getting my tires inflated properly on my 2016. which I intend to keep forever- ha, it actually is worth more than when I bought it.

Best ting you can do is read the book, and learn how to make sure you are charging the battery as you drive, you can put energy use and battery charge on screen often it just takes taping the brakes and coasting when you can.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it better last 150, that's the waranty

Isaac Zachary likes this.