1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Note to toyota corp: Wifey is complaining about VSC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by syncmaster, Jan 16, 2007.

1. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I experienced exactly this until I dumped crappy stock tires and installed decent ones. Stock tires are simply horrible.

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, it looks like everyone else seems to care about this topic. The original poster hasn't bothered to reply in almost two weeks...

I love it when people ask a question then don't bother to acknowledge that they're actually reading the thread.

3. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Jan 29 2007, 12:21 AM) [snapback]382153[/snapback]</div>

I didn't post a question.

Your suggestion to tell wifey to go easier on the gas pedal dosen't resolve the problem that the prius TC and VSC still need some tweaking.

I just installed 4 new goodyear triple treads and changed the tire size to 205/60r15
    which will be 3/10" larger diameter and 7/10" wider in hopes that the wider & better tire will improve
    this problem.

I posted in PC because I believe Toyota Corp reads these posts and might do something about this problem in the future. If wifey continues to have problems with the car (driving the way she has for 30 years) she will not buy another one. And if The TC and VSC system is the same in all it's other cars she will not buy another toyota.

BUT THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT !!!

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^

The VSC operates as it should. The TC isn't really true TC as it is more a 'feature' to protect the electric motor. The TC software seems to have improved, though, and it has worked for me climbing a snow covered hill. It took me up slowly, but it still took me up. I just had to leave my foot on the gas pedal. Going easier on the gas pedal is still a solution. Since your wife was turning from a stop, it is clear that would be the problem. She's probably used to other cars where you can just keep letting the wheels spin until it grabs onto something. It's just a different system than your regular automagic vehicle, and takes some adjustments to drive it effectively.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a fair complaint. It should be possible to make the traction control [d'ohh!! not "VSC"] system limited slip, something which protects the drive system yet still allows the wheels to turn when commanded. Even so I expect that some people who think of spinning drive wheels as a replacement for a snow shovel, snow tires, a light foot on the gas (*), or common sense and caution in treacherous situations would still be disappointed.

(*) It is not possible to stall the Prius engine, which means that going up a slippery surface even at 1 MPH is feasible; I do this on my driveway as needed. Of course this does not allow a Prius to dig itself out of snow or mud or escape oncoming traffic on gravel with jet propulsion.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^

Just to clarify that this is a TC issue and not a VSC issue. Prius VSC works like a charm. What frustrates a lot of people is the TC.

7. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jan 29 2007, 04:25 PM) [snapback]382431[/snapback]</div>
    That's interesting to me, because several other posters in this thread also suggested a fairly heavy foot on the gas, once TRAC started to cut in. That's the opposite of traditional advice, but you're among several posters for whom that works:

http://priuschat.com/I-HATE-my-prius-t28639.html

Toward the end of the thread I repeated instructions that had been posted earlier on how to turn off TRAC by putting the car in "inspection mode". You risk damaging the HSD by driving in that mode, but if you get absolutely stuck, you do have the (risky) option of turning off TRAC.

Also, when I searched for it, the suggestion of a "limited slip" version of track, that would allow some continuous (but limited) wheelspin, has been posted for several years now. I can only assume Toyota has read those posts, but for whatever reason has chosen not to offer a limited slip version of TRAC.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Jan 29 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]382493[/snapback]</div>
    When going up a slippery hill and fighting TRAC, you want more than "a fairly heavy foot"; cram the gas all the way to the floor and leave it there. The Prius will respond by trying a bit harder, and you will have better luck clawing your way to the top. It's by far the best way to deal with TRAC cutout.

Tom

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well this morning it was very cold (21ºF) and it was like a skating rink to work. was very very slippery and even driving straight down a seemingly dry road (no real rain for a few days now) i could feel the car slipping. a few times, i was a bit surprised to not have VSC kick in at all.

not sure i like its reaction time. its almost as if VSC waits to the point of no return hoping the driver can pull it out before trying to help. not sure i want to be tested.