1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Notes and numbers from 5,889 mile trip

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DetPrius, Dec 25, 2011.

1. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    SE Michigan to LA and back, through Denver on the way out, I-40 on the return as far as Nashville, then North to SE Michigan.
    Total Miles: 5,889
    Total Gallons Consumed: 124.8
    Avg MPG: 47.2
    Total Gas Cost: $414.84
    Comments:
    Prius camping worked pretty well. I used a foam pad and a couple of sleeping bags for a bed and a blanket and pillow. I did this twice on the way out and once on the way back. I was amazed at how little gas the Prius consumed with the temp set to 70 and the outside temp at 8 degrees when I went to sleep and 1 degree when I woke up. Gauging by the bars and the Scan Gauge, it used less than 2 gallons. On a night that started out around 32 and ended at 23, the gas consumption was even less, maybe just over 1 gallon.

Per the Scan Gauge, the 12 volt system voltage was at 14.6 almost every time I looked at it. Only once did I see it at 13.6. I wasn't looking every 5 minutes but probably noted it a dozen times on the entire trip.

I experienced the ICE spinup (aka Cessna imitator) to dissipate battery energy going down the mountain passes. This is a great feature. As far as performance on the steep grades, it had absolutely no problem with the cruise control up and down the Rockies and it always held the speed, with no use of friction brakes.

I had several opportunities to buy real gas (no ethanol) but unfortunately, I usually had well over half a tank of E10 when I found real gas. I was able to take half a tank of real gas followed by almost a full tank of real gas at the end of a trip and WOW, what a difference in MPG. Most tanks on E10 were running mid to upper 40s calculated MPG, while the final tank with almost pure real gas turned in a calculated 54.9 MPG (display was at 58.3). I used my laptop and Sprint Aircard to look ahead and try to hit real gas stops but some listed on the web site turned out to not have ethanol free gas.

The only car problem was a blown left front tire about 25 miles North of Vegas. A quick stop at Discount Tire fixed that, but now I have 1 tire newer than the rest, which is OK as the originals are nearing the end of their life and it will get a set of 4 new tires.

Considering there are over 24 hours of sitting in Ready mode for heat while not traveling, some rain, snow, and stiff headwinds, I am very happy with 47.2 MPG for the entire trip.

As for the often complained about seat comfort, I had no problem with it. This was a solo trip so I drove every mile.

1 person likes this.
  2. Zanrok

Zanrok Casual Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got any pics of the camping adventure?

3. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't, and wish I had taken a couple. I can tell you I folded the 60 side of the 60/40 split seat down, moved all my stuff to the other side and front seats. It does help that I am 5'4".

I also forgot to note that many states I traveled through are now at 75 MPH on the interstates. There were 2 or 3 20 mile stretches in Utah that had a sign that said "Speed Limit Test next 20 Miles" and immediately following that sign was an 80 MPH sign. 20 miles later it dropped back down. When looking at the MPG I got, keep in mind about half the trip (estimating) was at 75 MPH. I ran the speed limit on cruise as I find that the most relaxing way to drive distances. I of course went with the flow of traffic through the cities, both below and above the speed limits.