1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

November 2016 Prius Sales Down 26.8%

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by MitchR, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is because Prius chat insists it is a Prius v [lower case v] because Toyota used uppercase V for a trim version for some model years.
    In the spirit of correction, it is C'est la vie , from the French.

2. MitchR

MitchR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. I think it looks cool and unique. Many cars are so boring looking now. I say the weirder, the better!

bisco, RCO and MichelleStone like this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Together with the one above, I appear to be in good company. (y)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's silly to try and make any sort of connection between prius and tesla.

5. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The last 3 month of the yr are always slow for the dealership . After January they get better. The more discount they have the better for us. Prime look good but I also like my Gen 4 .

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. IAPrius

IAPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Each car has their place. I live in an apartment so I have no exterior plug in for my car - making the larger battery useless. Also I drive long drives across the state quite often - the price of the Prime really isn't worth it for me. It is more for an in town commuter in my opinion.

Though there is nothing wrong with the Prime - I love my Gen 4 and it is a perfect fit for me.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sales down? Cheap gas and over the top styling, but with OPEC getting it's act together now, gas prices will go up and so will Prius sales.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Of late, Prius is never advertised by local dealerships. Out of curiousity I checked used Prius inventory at our nearby dealer: there was one (2013?), at their other location, in Richmond. No mention of Prius on their web page. A service writer at our local dealership told me they never have any just sitting on the lot; it's all pre-order.

The wave has come and gone? Here's a screengrab from Wikipedia, Prius sales through the years:

upload_2017-6-14_10-0-40.png
    The US market seems one of the steadiest, with other countries seeing drops of two, threefold or more.

The source page:

Toyota Prius - Wikipedia

9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here - have only seen ONE on my city's only dealer's website - and I bought it 12 mths ago, 4 mths after release. I've seen one more that they've sold driving around, not sure if it was a special order?

At present, they have ZERO PRIUS, 1 x PRIUS v, 2 x PRIUS c and 3 x COROLLA Hybrid. Some of the adjoining cities dealers occasionally have one in stock as a demonstrator.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks like a home run in japan.
    does toyota care about any markets outside japan and u.s.? or is it just prius?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They really need to get an all electric car out.

alanclarkeau and ShenmueTacos like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't know. I continue to be most interested in just a hybrid, not even plug-in. Not sure what the consensus is. For me the range issue of a pure electric is off-putting. Our gas consumption even now is about one tank a month, so it's not so much about dollar savings, more just doing what we can.

RCO and Lightning Racer like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    an all electric won't help in the short run. maybe someday though.

RCO likes this.
  14. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I disagree, I have come from a fully electric Renault Zoe and I much prefer the Prius. Even though I only plugged in once a week as my weekly commute is around 80 miles Its lovely not having to think about plugging in to charge. The best part though is knowing that at any time of the day or night I can jump in the car and go anywhere I want without having to think do I have enough charge to get there or have the worry of knowing where I can charge up on the way.

The Hybrid give me total freedom to go where I want when I want.

Hybrid all the way for me from now on (y)

That_Prius_Car and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want a Plug-In Hybrid next time. It will be years before we have infrastructure for full EVs to get to most areas of Australia - capital cities OK, but beyond that, just isn't happening. We're not even at the level of acceptance that USA/California was 15 years ago.

One of the on-line motoring journals suggested that we need incentives like dedicated parking, charging facilities - and the negativity of comments was terrible. Until fuel skyrockets, it's not going to happen here. But a PHEV would work well.

RCO, MichelleStone and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since I live in the boonies, a hybrid car is the most effective for me. I'm not sure I could get to the nearest public charge station unless I had a Tesla or Bolt. So at least for now, I completely agree with you for different reasons.

17. blane

blane Carmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Weird and Ugly does not sell cars. I'll hang on to my 2011 Prius for now.

Felt likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The weird and ugly big black open mouth grills on Toyota and Lexus vehicles has not made Toyota change their designs.
    There are very few of their vehicles that do not have this ugliness flaw.

Felt and davecook89t like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah if there's anything I hate more than bizarre design elements, it's when they catch on like wildfire, are copied and perpetuated.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. blane

blane Carmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Last December I received a solicitation to buy a new 2017 Prius from the Toyota dealer where I purchased my 2011 leftover in 2012. This is what I wrote to the Sales manager:

Dear Mr. Xxxxxx,

I might have considered replacing my low-mileage 2011 Prius III (I'm very satisfied with it, and Rob Xxxxxx was a pleasure to deal with) with a 2017 Prius IV except for several unacceptable issues.
    • Styling is ugly (what were they thinking?). Too many unrelated creases and angles. Toyota / Lexus oversize black spindle grilles should be banished.
    • Rear hatch grab handles are way too high for my 5' 2" wife to reach (or even touch with her fingertips). If you can't close the hatch, you can't drive the car.
    • Dumb shiny white, reflective, distracting, console (black vinyl contact "paper" covering it will not suffice, and will no doubt peel eventually).
    • When is Toyota going to manufacture vehicles that utilize the Android Auto (and Apple CarPlay) smartphone capability on the car's in-dash screens? As a minimum, Android Auto is already available in the latest Acura, Alpha Romeo, Audi, Bentley, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Citroen, Dodge, FIAT, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Lamborghini, Land Rover, Lincoln, Maserati, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Peugeot, RAM, Renault, Subaru, Volkswagen and Volvo vehicles. Why is Toyota so far behind the rest of the market? Toyota's Entune just doesn't cut it.
    I just thought that you might appreciate the feedback.

Mendel Leisk, RCO, Felt and 1 other person like this.